Author Topic: How is it that...  (Read 2103 times)

nkotb

How is it that...
« on: April 24, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »
not a single song off of the Ponys' Celebration Castle made it on mainstream radio?  Man, that album kicks.

walkonby

Re: How is it that...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »
what's mainstream radio?  in fact . . . what's radio?  haven't the interneters stolen it and given it away for free, thus changing (ruining) the market forever yet?

nkotb

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »
Sorry for my antiquated analogy.  I just meant these guys should be a shitload more popular than they are, and deserve.  IMO, of course.

EDIT: Of course if they were, I'd start to hate them and mock anyone for not liking them back when they were good.

Originally posted by walkonby:
  what's mainstream radio?

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/chengdu/2008/04/panda_video_draft.html

i'm pretty sure this video explains everything. ever.
nothx

BookerT

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »
"celebration castle" is a really great album. not breaking through to mainstream radio isn't a surprise, but it didn't even get that much blogga love. maybe if they had twice as many members and a bunch of weird instruments. "another wound" was the should've-been hit on that one. "turn the lights out" was enjoyable but overall disappointing as a follow up.

nkotb

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »
Exactly the song that prompted me to post this.

I mean, I'm not really surprised.  But it's a crime that album wasn't a big hit.

Originally posted by BookerT:
 "another wound" was the should've-been hit on that one.

Relaxer

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »
These guys sound exactly like stellastarr, who aren't exactly burning up the charts either.

Guitar-based bands that don't tread the Nickelback track just aren't considered mainstream right now. I mean, when I listen to Against Me's New Wave, it amazes me that these aren't radio hits, as they sound like perfect FM gems. And the new She & Him album seems like it fits into the perfect Starbucks/Norah genre that embraces nice sounding music made by good-looking people. It's not a great album by any stretch but it's catchy, friendly and warm.

I'm also amazed that bands like MGMT and Cut Copy are still so obscure, since they are making catchy pop that isn't too Euro, a la Hot Chip, Phoenix, etc.

But Walk's question of, what is mainstream radio is a good one. I don't even know what current music gets played any more, but I suspect it's in the R&B line of things. I know that NPR Music is spotlighting more of the music that the board is into, but that's web-based, not terrestrial radio.
oword

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  http://www.npr.org/blogs/chengdu/2008/04/panda_video_draft.html

i'm pretty sure this video explains everything. ever.
Panda's are delicious.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  I mean, when I listen to Against Me's New Wave, it amazes me that these aren't radio hits, as they sound like perfect FM gems.
they got a lot of play on DC101 and the like, MTV was creaming all over "trash unreal"
(o|o)