Author Topic: Magnetic Fields Rollcall  (Read 2735 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Magnetic Fields Rollcall
« on: October 25, 2008, 08:41:00 am »
w00t!
(o|o)

azaghal1981

Re: Magnetic Fields Rollcall
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 09:12:00 am »
Me!

This will be 10 billion times better than Deerhoof!
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 11:53:00 am »
well deerhoof will be overshadowed by its openers tonight, Flying and Experimental Dental School   :)  

btw, Shugo only played for 30 minutes last night, but i loved his set...

Originally posted by azaghal1981:

(_|_)

nkotb

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 11:55:00 am »
Funny...you should have heard how excited Joe was when the Deerhoof show was first announced.  It's cute when he tries to be all contrary  :)

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  well deerhoof will be overshadowed by its openers tonight, Flying and Experimental Dental School   :)  

[/b]

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »
Maybe just trying to rationalize why I should skip Deerhoof and see Magnetic Fields again tonite! hahaha

But, yeah, two great openers tonight...it looks like Deerhoof is a 4 piece this tour...

Originally posted by nkotb:
    It's cute when he tries to be all contrary   :)  

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  well deerhoof will be overshadowed by its openers tonight, Flying and Experimental Dental School    :)  

[/b]
[/b]
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 12:31:00 pm »
I love Deerhoof and it kills me to miss them but Stephin is one of the best songwriters around now and it'll probably be at least five years before he comes back.  :(

Psyched for Shugo too! Fell in love with that Exit album late last year and never thought I'd get a chance to see him live.
احمد

lomein

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »
i'm in. can't wait.

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 09:04:00 pm »
So I had to eat my ticket due to a small family emergency. Awesome day it's been!  :(

Hope the rest of you enjoy.
احمد

bearman🐻

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 09:24:00 am »
I ended up not being able to make it to the show...how was it?

bellenseb

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:56:00 am »
Great show! Stephin Merritt is such a funny grouch and Claudia is the perfect stage foil. Hysterical.

Anyway, nice long setlist. I'm not the biggest fan of the new album but the songs come off better in performance. Only three pre-69 Love Songs songs but really great ones (Take Ecstacy With Me, Long Vermont Roads, All Dressed Up In Dreams). Great picks from 69 as well (Book of Love, Papa Was a Rodeo, a bunch more).

bellenseb

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 09:59:00 am »
Oops, they also played When I'm Out of Town from Wasps Nets. They made sure to announce that that came out in 1994, yikes...

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 10:27:00 am »
it was a great show and exactly what i needed to end a long long long exhausting weekend. i'm really not too familiar with the fields catalog but the boyfriend has always been a big fan... was super pleased with the opener too. yayz all around.
nothx

Vas Deferens

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 11:00:00 am »
No "Long Vermont Roads" ...I think you meant "Lonely Highway" from the same album    ;)  

I'll post a review of both Philly and DC shows later and compare them to the two San Francisco shows from early this year.

Originally posted by bellenseb:
   Only three pre-69 Love Songs songs but really great ones (Take Ecstacy With Me, Long Vermont Roads, All Dressed Up In Dreams).  
(_|_)

starrdogg92

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 11:11:00 am »
Fantastic show all around, and I agree that the new stuff translates much better live. Listening to Distortion again now, it's almost as if the fuzz distracts from the gorgeous songs underneath. I can't believe no one's mentioned "Yeah! Oh, Yeah!" yet, which brought down the house. Claudia was bouncing around the stage doing ridiculous poses and Stephen was singing in a James Cagney accent. "I Don't Believe You" was a fantastic little surprise that hasn't been played much on this tour, "Grand Canyon" was a gorgeous closer, and I loved "Crows" from the Lemony Snicket album, a song I'd pretty much ignored in the past.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 12:12:00 am »
great great show... stephin was even more ornery than i was expecting, i guess because he was sick...

i thought the setlist was a great career-spanning selection... i can quibble about certain songs and would have liked to have heard others (born on a train, kissing things, lower east side, etc), but who couldn't with a catalogue like theirs... i loved how they included 6ths, gothic archies, and stephin solo songs (but no future bible heroes?) into the mix

the highlight for me was the slowed-down version of "papa was a rodeo" to end the first set, i've heard that song hundreds of times before, but this time it really hit me... i also hadn't given stephin's "showtunes" album much run, and the japanese opera song they played off of it was hilarious
(o|o)