Author Topic: 70's Funk & Soul  (Read 5613 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: 70's Funk & Soul
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2005, 10:23:00 am »
Well I had ulterior motives in starting this thread, see my list of what was spun at the private event. While I owned most of what was spun, it never hurts to get suggestion on what else is out there.  

I have the UK compliation Sampled Vol. 2 which is a collection of the orginial Funk, Disco, Soul, etc songs sampled by current artists.  Everytime I listen it I hear something new to dig on i.e  The Fatback Band.... Got it orginially to get my hands on Blake Baxters "Brother Gonna Work It Out", which I didn't get a chance to spin last night.  Maybe at the Phoenix show.  Wish these comps were released in the states because they are nice to own but tres expensive.

Ended up getting the Essential Sly & The Family Stone collection yesterday, which was funking the commute.  Also got "Pure Funk" which filled a couple holes, but had too much overlap with what I already owned.

I looked at the track listing for "The Funk Box" and while it looked like a good starting point, it suffers from the problem all mainstream/top forty compliation all have.  For any given genre or era there appears be a limited pool of songs which end up on such things.  Buy two or three of the sets and one starts getting serious overlap.  For "The Funk Box" I'm better off sticking with group specific collections, as I already have several song in the collection.  Rhino and other are guilty of the constant repacking of the same tracks.  And it only gets worse everytime labels merge...

Get out of the mainstream and the flood gates open up wide... Very little overlap is found on the Northern Soul comps. I'm guessin' the same could be said for lesser known funk as well.  The only problem is having to wade sometimes through 40+ tracks to find the gem that moves you.
T.Rex

Captain Jack

Re: 70's Funk & Soul
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2005, 01:26:00 pm »
Mickey & Soul Generation is a totally groove-tacular and overlooked funk group from Texas. They have a sweet 2-disc discography thing; pretty rad.

Definitely get yourself some of those funky JB's.