Author Topic: Asylum brunch  (Read 2146 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Asylum brunch
« on: March 13, 2005, 03:18:00 pm »
If y'all haven't tried brunch at Asylum yet, I highly recommend it!   I hadn't tried it for the longest time, simply because I associate Asylum with long, bleary-eyed nights of drunkenness, not brunch.  But it turns out to be a great experience, excellent atmosphere, the food is good, with a regular and a vegan menu, and they've also got an awesome DJ spinning tunes that are great to start a day with.   It's fun to see goths out in the daylight, too.  With a tummy full of good food and a stiff bloody mary or mimosa to start the day, you're good to go!
_\|/_

lionforce5

Re: Asylum brunch
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 08:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  If y'all haven't tried brunch at Asylum yet, I highly recommend it! But it turns out to be a great experience, excellent atmosphere, the food is good, with a regular and a vegan menu
Last time we were there I ended up with burnt french toast and cold home fries.  We used to go regularly but I think they switched cooks recently, and lately it's been hit and miss.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 09:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by j_lee:
 lately it's been hit and miss.
i'd have to (regretably) agree ... it's still nice to go somewhere on 18th street where there isn't a 30 minute wait for brunch ... someone asked me recently why people wait for an hour at the diner, and i told him they wait there for the same reason that they wait for 30 mins to get into Tom Tom and an hour to get into Pasta Mia: they're idiots.
(o|o)

• my blog
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 09:23:00 pm »
yeah, waiting in line to eat is something I will not do.   :mad:
_\|/_

jkeisenh

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 10:01:00 am »
Yeah-- I'm a big asylum food fan-- esp. the vegan grilled cheese.  I also love when their special is vegan jambalaya-- so tasty!  One of my favorite passtimes is the Saturday 5pm $.25 high life's and a tasty samich.

• my blog
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 02:34:00 pm »
mmmm... Jambalaya!  I was tempted to get the special w/ tofu omelette, vegan chili, tofu cheese, and soysage... but then it occurred to me that might just lead to a tofu overdose.
_\|/_

Venerable Bede

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 02:41:00 pm »
man. . vegan and tofu should NEVER be associated with tasty or mmmmmmm.
OU812

jkeisenh

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 02:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  man. . vegan and tofu should NEVER be associated with tasty or mmmmmmm.
You have NO IDEA what you're talking about.

I love taking a nice long bike ride and then, after 50 or 70 miles, scarfing down the chili cheese tofu scramble.  100% protein and so tasty.

• my blog
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 03:16:00 pm »
yeah, I'm an omnivore, but tofu/soy done well can be really good.  I love me a nice boca burger.
_\|/_

lionforce5

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 05:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  yeah, I'm an omnivore, but tofu/soy done well can be really good.  I love me a nice boca burger.
Three words: Millennium, San Francisco.

The absolute BEST restaurant I've ever been to, ever (also the only time I've ever dropped over $100 on a meal for two people)..and it's completely vegan.

bellenseb

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 05:38:00 pm »
New veg restaurant coming to DC!

Dunno if this will be any good, but I sure hope so. We've got to be the biggest city in the country without a nice all-veg american/fusion restaurant.

Dandy01

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 06:23:00 pm »
I enjoyed the atmosphere as well but got a weird look when I asked if they had cappuccino, which i thought was more of a standard nowadays.  Settled for regular coffee, no biggie.  Food was hit and miss here too.

lionforce5

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 12:48:00 am »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  New veg restaurant coming to DC!

Dunno if this will be any good, but I sure hope so. We've got to be the biggest city in the country without a nice all-veg american/fusion restaurant.
Well...there's  Great Sage, but they're in Clarksville, MD...a good 45 minute drive from the city.  Excellent food though.