Author Topic: If you can't beat em...  (Read 1640 times)

saco

If you can't beat em...
« on: December 11, 2007, 05:26:00 pm »
At the risk of re-starting the ticket prices, scalpers, etc debate here is an interesting article from ESPN.com  

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/071211

A highlight: "Brace yourselves -- a world in which sports teams and rock concerts sell many or all tickets for whatever the market will bear might be coming. It will be hard to dispute on free-market grounds, but brutal for anyone other than the affluent."

Re: If you can't beat em...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »
That's ok. We less affluent are creative enough to entertain outselves. We don't need pussy musicians and ballplayers to entertain us as we passively take in their bullshit. Fuck the system.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »
For respectful, 21st century gentlemen who walk upright, is a major league sporting event really something to attend?  Are you really missing out?  For ANY sensible person, isn't watching the contest at home much better and less humiliating?

Listen, I'm ALL FOR the real experience as opposed to watching it on T.V., but the last few pro football games I've been to were one step above Millwall hooligan matches (especially in Philly.)

I'd rather shower off the slobber, beer and vomit and watch a game at home, thank-you-very-much.  

Brian

P.S.  Especially, if I shacked up with someone like Miss Pretentious (who has the NFL Sunday Ticket.)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 08:38:00 pm »
I'm with Dupek in respect to pro football games.  I maybe take in one a year but for the most part I'd rather stay home.  

A few years ago I went to a skins/eagles game and it was one the most hostile things I've ever witnessed and that's saying a lot.  Fights all over the place, insults, beer spillage....ugly indeed.

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »
As usual, Easterbrook has made some assumptions and failed to go completely through his research.

Some teams, especially in MLB, have been keeping track of online ticket brokers and keeping a list of season ticket seats being sold outside their team ticket exchange page (like ebay, for example), and have sent cease and desist letters to season ticket holders in violation of their exchange policy.  The New York Rangers page he links to for example, limits the # of tickets you can put up for sale in any given season and the amount you can charge (no more than 3 times face is the usual limit, but it varies).

But what's more so, the majority of tickets for the most popular teams are sold via Season Ticket Passes (of the 44,000 tickets for the Angels on any given home game, nearly 38,000 are season ticketholders) - the one time where tickets are sold at a set price set by the owners.  There's not a whole lot of wiggle room there to turn that to a free market system - for what the last 6,000 tickets?  The main reason owners started doing this was to make sure they had butts in seats when the crappy teams came through.  If they were to switch to an all market dictated model as Easterbrook asks (How long will it be until professional teams cut out the middle person and simply auction off tickets for whatever the market will bear?), they will make more money on popular game days, but lose money on the crappy teams.  In order to properly do financial planning and projections for the team, they will continue to use the set ticket price model for some time to come.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 09:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by saco:

A highlight: "Brace yourselves -- a world in which sports teams and rock concerts sell many or all tickets for whatever the market will bear might be coming. It will be hard to dispute on free-market grounds, but brutal for anyone other than the affluent."
Do you know what annoys me most about that comment, saco?  

At the end of the article he argues that TM should not be looking for injunctions against Bots that buy up all the tickets.  "But why do tour promoters care if bots buy the tickets for brokers; don't promoters only care that the seats get sold?...Mark my words, this is the beginning of rock concerts and sports teams direct-auctioning tickets for whatever the market will bear."

Doesn't he realize the use of a bot is not a free market principle - it distorts the market by making the tickets less plentiful for the majority of consumers, hoarding them up by a select few, and then reselling at a distorted idea of scarcity that was artificially created by the bots?
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 01:53:00 pm »
BTW - I was a little behind on my Economist reading until this past weekend, when I stumbled across this little article dated Dec. 6.

What, Gregg Easterbrook plagarizes?  I never would have guessed...
27>34

ggw

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »
December 18, 2007
 Ticketmaster and N.F.L. Ink Ticket Resale Deal
 By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
 Filed at 7:30 a.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Ticketmaster plans to launch a Web site next year where people can resell tickets to pro football games, the latest push by the event ticketing company into the lucrative secondary ticket market.

The company signed a multiyear deal with the National Football League that includes branding and promotion for the site, Ticketmaster said in a statement being released Tuesday. Financial terms were not disclosed.

West Hollywood-based Ticketmaster already operates separate, so-called ticket exchange sites for 18 NFL teams, which allow ticket holders to resell their game tickets online.

The latest deal moves those teams and adds four others to the new portal set for debut sometime next year, said Ticketmaster, which is owned by New York-based Internet conglomerate IAC/InterActiveCorp.

Resales are a growing slice of the ticket market for sporting events, concerts and other events, but Ticketmaster lags other online ticket resale outlets such as StubHub, which is owned by eBay Inc., and auction sites such as eBay itself.

''It's fair to say we're an underdog in the category right now,'' said Eric Korman, Ticketmaster's executive vice president. ''We need to really aggressively compete to win dollars and grow ahead of the competition.''

Ticketmaster plans to guarantee the resold tickets, which are sent to buyers electronically, just like it does with its regular primary ticket sales.

The company is counting on that security feature and the NFL branding to woo prospective ticket buyers and sellers.

''It's going to be safe, it's going to be reliable, it's going to be efficient,'' Korman said. ''When you show up at the gate, you're ensured that ticket is going to be valid.''

The company profits on the secondary sales by charging the seller and the buyer a percentage of the resale price.

------

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 12:16:00 pm »
If I ever re-sell a ticket, I pledge to not give ticketmaster a dime.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 12:33:00 pm »
I didn't know Pennsylvania got rid of it's anti-scalping (25% markup) law.  I can't Google evidence of this anywhere.  Did it really happen?

Brian

ggw

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 12:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  I didn't know Pennsylvania got rid of it's anti-scalping (25% markup) law.  I can't Google evidence of this anywhere.  Did it really happen?

Brian
State scalping laws:

http://pages.ebay.com/buyselltickets/rules.html