Author Topic: slint openers  (Read 1729 times)

snailhook

slint openers
« on: March 16, 2005, 04:04:00 pm »
for the curious:

long live death are from baltimore and feature chris freeland, drummer of oxes. they play pagan folk/psych inspired by the incredible string band and espers and have backed will oldham on tour. IMO, they're not as good as their influences, and could come off a bit annoying, but i haven't seen them in a couple of years and i heard they've improved vastly.

pearls & brass are one of the most kick-ass rawk bands you'll hear this year (if you catch 'em). they're a guitar/bass/drums power trio from allentown, pennsylvania that are heavily inspired by early '70s hard rock/psych (think cream, ten years after, zep, jeff beck, mountain). their musicianship is deft and fluid and full of unpredictable twists and turns that betray the deceptively basic blues-rock formula.

i'll be tag-team dj'ing with a fellow doorstaph, so expect some weird tunes.

nkotb

Re: slint openers
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 05:38:00 pm »
Man, that's good to know.  I've heard of, but never heard, Long Live Death, so that'll be interesting to catch.  And Pearls & Brass sound mighty.

ggw

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 05:46:00 pm »
Didn't they open for someone else a year or so ago?

nkotb

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 05:54:00 pm »
Oxes opened for Mission of Burma (or was it Television?) at their first 9:30  reunion show.  I'm not sure about Long Live Death, though.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Didn't they open for someone else a year or so ago?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 06:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Lotan Baba:
  Oxes opened for Mission of Burma (or was it Television?) at their first 9:30  reunion show.
2/21/03 Mission Of Burma/Oxes

snailhook

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 06:31:00 pm »
oxes opened for wire in 2002 and burma in 2003. only oxes' drummer is in LLD, who have never played the 930. we did book them at the warehouse last year with dead meadow and espers, though.

pearls & brass are mighty indeed. you'll see.