Author Topic: Has DC seen its last indie record store?  (Read 8025 times)

Re: Has DC seen its last indie record store?
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2004, 12:35:00 pm »
I can agree with that.

Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by Rutherford J. Balls:
  $19 aint much if you're a middle age guy buying 10 cd's a year of reissues from early 80's lp's.

Different story if you're a 20something trendy pullin in 30K a year and need to buy every freaking album pitchfork tells you you need to own.
If the 20'something crowd owned only 5 pairs of $120+ sneakers and $80 jeans made to look like a homeless bloke threw them out, and saved that $5 latte for just a Sunday treat.....I'm sure they could afford to buy a few $19 cd's now and again. [/b]

markie

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2004, 12:38:00 pm »
I dont think you can blame downloading just yet.

CD sales have only declined afew percent, if at all.

It's just cheaper and easier to buy from Amazon.com. They always have what I want and it is always cheaper than the new prices at the local stores.

Buuuu Byyyyyyeeeeeeee local stores.

But I do think $19 -$20 is too much for a CD. I just wont buy them at that price. They are only $14 from CDwow.net

I think a $10 DVD or a softback book is much better value.

bellenseb

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2004, 12:44:00 pm »
Plan 9 just *opened* a new store. They're doing very well by all accounts. They have a good, diverse stock of new and used CDs, mainstream and indie, plus vinyl, dvd, trinkets, etc.

Maybe DCCD, which had an anemic selection of new CDs and a sad used section (Collective Soul for $8.99, anyone?) struggled, but I think a diverse and well-run store, in the right location, could thrive.

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2004, 12:48:00 pm »
All true, but has the internet even come to central/southern virginia yet? As soon as it does (after the power and phone lines go up), the downloading will begin, and same result.

Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Plan 9 just *opened* a new store. They're doing very well by all accounts. They have a good, diverse stock of new and used CDs, mainstream and indie, plus vinyl, dvd, trinkets, etc.

Maybe DCCD, which had an anemic selection of new CDs and a sad used section (Collective Soul for $8.99, anyone?) struggled, but I think a diverse and well-run store, in the right location, could thrive.

jpbelmondo

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2004, 01:18:00 pm »
Re: dying breed --
 Not to worry, most indie labels will still print up CDs -- bands have to have something to sell at shows -- just as many still print up vinyl, but look for the majors to get out of physical units as soon as they can make more money on downloads.  Unless iTunes and similar sites are consistently patronized by the average music buyer, that probably will be in the form of a tax (though it won't be called that) on your ISP.

redsock

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2004, 01:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:

where is this so-called "plan 9"?

ggw

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2004, 01:30:00 pm »
where is this so-called "revolution"?

bellenseb

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2004, 01:32:00 pm »
www.plan9music.com

They're all over central Virginia.