Author Topic: Non-smoking shows  (Read 12983 times)

nova_nola

Re: Non-smoking shows
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2006, 06:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by thatguy:
  i often enforce a "no smoking within my arms' reach" rule.  i've found it to be fairly effective.  most people learn quickly not to smoke around me, whether they have the right to or not, after i snatch a couple of cigarettes out of their mouths.  i always inform them of my rule and give them time to vacate my arms' reach first, of course.
I like this ThatGuy. =)

I harmlessly tower above most folks, so people who think that blowing the smoke up makes a difference are basically blowing that crap right up my nose.  

I don't think I could get away with snatching cigarettes from strangers though...is it OK if I hang out by you at the door? Or more my style would be to snatch and then run to you for protection.  ;)

Counting down the days until the ban...

vansmack

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2006, 06:54:00 pm »
I usually try The Chewlie's Gum Rep's speech to see how hostile the smoker is, then decide from there.
27>34

tmalicia

« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2006, 11:08:00 pm »
Just a few thoughts to add:

1) It's not illegal to walk around barefoot or shirtless outside, but you don't have the "right" to do that in most places of business. Or eat at nice restaurants without proper dress. House rules are everywhere.

2) Wearing seatbelts used to be a choice, too,  until "they"  realized not doing so was killing people.

and

3) Remember when there used to be lighters in cars? And smoking on airplanes and in movie theaters? This is just the natural progression. 40 years from now we'll be boring young'uns with, "Back in my day, we used to be able to smoke in clubs! And you could even buy cigarettes there!"

I initially was against smoking bans because I don't like the idea of government mothering its citizens, and nonsmoking restaurants and such were becoming more popular on their own. (I also saw a huge drop in business at the bar I worked at, regardless of what stats say.)

But, unlike the absurd idea of regulating trans fat, smoke does negatively affect -- immediately, I'm not talking long-term here -- a fair share of people.

Unless they start catapulting smokers to Australia, I think this is something everyone will eventually accept as the norm.

sonickteam2

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2006, 10:51:00 am »
Originally posted by tmalicia:

Unless they start catapulting smokers to Australia, I think this is something everyone will eventually accept as the norm.
just like speed cameras, red-light cameras, taking your shoes off at the airport....the land of the free!!! remember that?

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2006, 03:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:

Besides, if we do what you do at a show, a fight will break out, and then you'll kick us out, right?
i wouldn't suggest using the method i described, but a polite request to a smoker to move a few feet away might work.

Mumrat

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2006, 12:50:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by thingsfallapart:
  I think artists who request non-smoking shows are pretty lame though.  They should get over themselves.
I think people who can't go an hour or two without a cigarette are pretty lame. They should get over their addiction. [/b]
I think people who are 400lbs should get over their food addiction and stop eating.

vansmack

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2006, 01:04:00 am »
Originally posted by Mumrat:
  I think people who are 400lbs should get over their food addiction and stop eating.
Really?

You signed up, dug up a thread from nearly a month ago and provided us with that insight as your first post?

Welcome to the board!  You'll fit in just fine...
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2006, 01:15:00 am »
indeed - only thing missing is his dissing of a talented band that happened to sell more than 10,000 copies of their latest release (sell outs!)
<sig>

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2006, 01:25:00 am »
Whatever happened to the occasional street-teamer?