Author Topic: Brothers Unconnected (Sun City Girls) Rollcall  (Read 1359 times)

azaghal1981

Brothers Unconnected (Sun City Girls) Rollcall
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »
I never got a chance to see SCG so I'm pretty happy that the Bishops are doing this. Anyone else going? No chance of this show  selling out, right?
احمد

azaghal1981

Re: Brothers Unconnected (Sun City Girls) Rollcall
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 04:05:00 am »
So this was really awesome.

Roughly 2-hour set/encore comprised mostly of Mystics, Horse Cock Phepner, 330003 Crossdressers and Disneyland Inferno material. There were maybe 3-4 tracks I couldn't place; surprised there weren't more given that their catalog is so vast. There was also a lengthy "Uncle Jim" rant that started off word for word like the one on the S/T album then went into improvised angry hilarious political tyraid territory. Their merch guy told me prior to the set that they had something planned for this show that they hadn't done yet; guess that's what it was.

The Charles Gocher movie montage thing was cool too.

Jack Rose was in attendance and I was hoping that he'd sit in on some crazy 3-guitar jam session but it didn't happen.

Someone here has to care about how this show went, right? Right?
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 06:42:00 am »
Would love to have gone but couldn't squeeze it in. Too much time at work again.

I recently got the CD with J. Spaceman. Didn't get a chance to look at the cover too much when I first received it. When I went to put it on, I glanced at the back and said to myself, 'Wtf?'. Then the thing starts playing and once again yet another, 'I mean, WTF!?!'. As soon as I got to a red light (I was driving at the time) I had to pick up the cover and study that thing.

Have you, or anyone else, seen the film it's from? Is it as strangely bizarre, funny, yet seriously almost sad as the disc comes off?  

Not at all what I'd ever expect from J. Spaceman but I realized it was Sun City Girls who where behind these oddities. Both bizarre and good. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the show.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:51:00 am »
I haven't seen the movie but did hear the album and know exactly what you mean.
احمد

meeper_99

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 10:26:00 am »
azaghal1981 pretty much hit the nail on head, excellent show.

Also in attendance were Geologist and Deakin from Animal Collective, who did some DJing beforehand.

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:39:00 am »
I guess if I had to complain about anything, it would be  that they didn't play Space Prophet or Shining Path.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »
Ugh...so that was Charles Gocher's ashes that they threw at the crowd at the end of the "Brothers Unconnected" piece. When I first got hit with a few specks of something that came from the stage, I thought "could it be? no...it couldn't." But after reading a couple reviews of other cities' shows, it looks like it was. Horrifyingly disgusting yet completely hysterical and so fitting.

I spent a good five minutes afterwards making sure there wasn't any (what I'm now pretty sure  was) charred human flesh in  my hair.
احمد