Author Topic: Boy George Tour cancelled  (Read 3395 times)

vansmack

Re: Boy George Tour cancelled
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fiona:
  The reason they denied his visa is because he's going on trial for false imprisonment of another man in England in the fall.  
I think England would care more that he's a flight risk in that scenario.

I think the US is more concerned about his numerous drug offenses and and his lack of deference for the US courts that he has displayed in the past.

For the record, I don't think either is correct, and would trade Martha Stewart for Boy George in a heartbeat.  I don't think England would though.  They like their celebrities to have "personality."
27>34

TheREALHunter

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 08:04:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

Originally posted by IMAmoose24:

Originally posted by TheREALHunter:
 If they're not American citizens then yes please.
Finally someone who makes sense on this board! [/b]
absolutely brilliant, let's move forth with this plan.

first category of "immigrants" we should put in the spotlight: touring musicians.  i mean, c'mon, our favorite bands don't have criminal records, right?  how could this possibly backfire?

oh, wait.  well, who needs all those foreign musicians anyways. [/b]
I'm just talking about my $$$ helping to pay for the incarceration of someone in the US that isn't a citizen of the US, I have no idea where you're going with your statement.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 09:11:00 am »
 I'm just talking about my $$$ helping to pay for the incarceration of someone in the US that isn't a citizen of the US, I have no idea where you're going with your statement.
if that was the case, i'd have less disagreement with you (but it would still be bad policy, as foreigners would come to this country and feel free to commit crimes - if they get caught, they'll simply be sent home.  the risk of punishment has to be maintained)

but the way i read what started all this:  

Originally posted by walkonby:
  if people are not allowed into this country because of past criminal records, can we kick everyone out who has one as well?
If they're not American citizens then yes please. [/b]
you, nor walkies, made any reference to people being incarcerated - nor even where they got their criminal records.  to me, this read like combing over immigration logs, finding anyone who was arrested in the past, and kicking them out for past sins.  but maybe i read wrong.

denying entry to the US to people with criminal records isn't new, by the way.
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 09:30:00 am »
now will this cancel the whole tour, or just the ny show for now?

froggylizzard

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 09:39:00 am »
Eh ... he's not allowed into the COUNTRY!

walkonby

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 10:23:00 am »
Originally posted by froggylizzard:

Eh ... he's not allowed into the COUNTRY! [/b]
but thank god for us all, the future is never set in concrete.  things do change in this thing called reality, and the only article i read mentioned the ny show was canceled (the free one) that he's doing for the place he did community service.  it seemed as if they did not want to speculate on the "whole tour."  

and boy george's play was not "horrible, awful, ect..."  it was just a production with too much money and not enough experience in the medium.  warhol would have slapped the snot out of them both.

edbert

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 11:20:00 am »
Amy Winehouse can snag a visa
I thought she couldn't and that was why she didn't make it to La-la for the Grammys

Fiona

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by edbert:

Amy Winehouse can snag a visa
I thought she couldn't and that was why she didn't make it to La-la for the Grammys [/b]
From what I heard they did give her visa at the last minue after first denying it, but it was too late to fly here.
 Maybe George can appeal their decision.
 I thought they were keeping him out because he's accused of a dangerous crime and might be violent, not because they think he would stay here and not return to the Uk for the trial.
 I don't think Boy George is dangerous but in general I don't want people accused of violent crimes coming here. They could be innocent, but they might not be and could possibly do bad things here.

walkonby

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »
i was just thinking about it.  i might be wrong in what i say (boy is that a joke waiting to happen) but boy george basically ruined his and his mates ongoing success in culture club because of his out of control drug habit.  he attempted cleaning up with little effect and a solo career with an ok success, but mainly only popular in britain.  in two thousand five he gets popped for coke, a circus is made of his community service because the news channels are sitcom shows now, and then the crazy sex slave thing?  sorry george, but it seems you are like one of those crazy kids on that interesting show i get to see now and again, "intervention," who just will not play by the rules becuase the rules are the reasons they escaped.  you can stay away until your life means music not the things that can kill a star.  wake up and smell that guy that everyone will say is better than jack "ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light" nicholson, because the poor guy is now dead.  but if he is better, which he could be . . . the previews have not yet sold me, i will give up on the second "movie" joker from burton's classic, which was so nicely done, as was devito's penguin.