Author Topic: Nick Hornby's 31 Songs / Songbook  (Read 2209 times)

vansmack

Nick Hornby's 31 Songs / Songbook
« on: July 24, 2006, 11:48:00 pm »
I'm working on a project and have put together the soundtrack to  Nick Hornby's "31 Songs" (or "Songbook" in America), however even with my version of the UK Soundtrack and my scouring, I'm short three tracks.

One is silly and I should already have it in my collection of cheese, but I just don't (she's probably not cute enough, and while I'm at it, getting worse by the day).  I know I can get it from iTunes, but I need a DRM Free version for the project (I know how to get around the DRM, thanks, but I'm trying to avoid that as well).  I know one of you has to have it:

Nelly Furtado - "I'm Like a Bird"

The other two might be really tough, but this is a vast group with some eclectic collections, so I thought I'd start here:

Butch Hancock and Marce LaCouture - "So I'll Run"
 &
 O.V. Wright - "Let's Straighten it Out" (some versions of the UK soundtrack include this song - mine oddly did not)

Anyhow, if you have a digital copy you could email me, I'll trade you some of the other 28-30 songs for those last three.  

Thanks in advance.

vansmack@msn.com

The other 28:

Teenage Fanclub - "Your Love is the Place Where I Come From"
 Bruce Springsteen - "Thunder Road"
 Led Zeppelin - "Heartbreaker"
 Rufus Wainwright - "One Man Guy"
 Santana - "Samba Pa Ti"
 Rod Stewart - "Mama, You Been On My Mind"
 Bob Dylan - "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window"
 The Beatles - "Rain"
 Ani DiFranco - "You Had Time"
 Aimee Mann - "I've Had It"
 Paul Westerberg - "Born for Me"
 Suicide - "Frankie Teardrop"
 Teenage Fanclub - "Ain't That Enough"
 J. Geils Band - "First I Look at the Purse"
 Ben Folds Five - "Smoke"
 Badly Drawn Boy - "A Minor Incident"  
 The Bible - "Glorybound"
 Van Morrison - "Caravan"
 Gregory Isaacs - "Puff, the Magic Dragon"
 Ian Dury and the Blockheads - "Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 3"
 Richard and Linda Thompson - "Calvary Cross"
 Jackson Browne - "Late for the Sky"
 Mark Mulcahy - "Hey Self-Defeater"
 The Velvelettes - "Needle in a Haystack"
 Röyksopp - "Röyksopp's Night Out"
 The Avalanches - "Frontier Psychiatrist"
 Soulwax - "No Fun" / "Push It"
 The Patti Smith Group - "Pissing in a River"
27>34

vansmack

Re: Nick Hornby's 31 Songs / Songbook
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 12:01:00 pm »
I promise I won't out the person that hooks me up with the Nelly Furtado song...
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:48:00 pm »
this is a fantastic book, and a good idea to put the songs together, i was thinking about doing something similar
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:38:00 pm »
I've always wanted to do my own version, and after talking with a great number of people over in Europe during the World Cup, I decided it could be cool to go broader.

My hope is to send the collection to a few of my writer friends around the globe (most of which I assume have read the book but haven't heard half of the songs), ask them to absorb it, then each of us do something similar on a blog somewhere.

If I can find the right mix of people, it could be something really great.

Or it could just be more self-indulgent crap on the internet - could go either way.

I was planning on asking some boardies as well.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 01:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 My hope is to send the collection to a few of my writer friends around the globe (most of which I assume have read the book but haven't heard half of the songs), ask them to absorb it, then each of us do something similar on a blog somewhere.
you mean their own lists of songs and reflections on them?  interesting idea ... and most good things on the internet are crapulently self-indulgent =)
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 02:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:
  you mean their own lists of songs and reflections on them?  interesting idea ... and most good things on the internet are crapulently self-indulgent =)
Yes, each author would get to choose their own 31 songs, and I was hoping for no repeats, but we'll see.  It might be interesting to see what one song means to someone as opposed to another.

I just wanted to send each author the Hornby collection to show how diverse it is.  An author doing 31 pieces about 90's songs would not be as interesting as an author doing a wide array, but we'll see.  A good writer can make anything interesting.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 05:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 Yes, each author would get to choose their own 31 songs, and I was hoping for no repeats, but we'll see.  It might be interesting to see what one song means to someone as opposed to another.

I just wanted to send each author the Hornby collection to show how diverse it is.  An author doing 31 pieces about 90's songs would not be as interesting as an author doing a wide array, but we'll see.  A good writer can make anything interesting.
That would be pretty cool.  My "Favorite Songs" playlist is over 250 songs.  Of them, I'd say there are about 150 that I think are just fuckin' phenomenal.  And they are all over the map (though probably less so than some/many...)