Author Topic: Panic! at The Bloc Party  (Read 2044 times)

chokeychicken

Re: Panic! at The Bloc Party
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 09:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Joe M.:
  Bloc Party are better on record than live, sorry to say :/  I know 'cause I've seen them numerous times.

Well, they actually were very good the first time I saw them (Bottom of the Hill, SF - 300 capacity)...but the more I saw them and the bigger the venue got, the less interest I had in seeing them...
totally agree.  i wasn't the least bit impressed when i saw them in DC last go round.  haven't really spun their record much since..

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 08:40:00 am »
  but the more I saw them and the bigger the venue got, the less interest I had in seeing them...
Isn't that true for just about every band though?  Especially if you're seeing them multiple times touring for the same record?

ayates

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 08:51:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

but the more I saw them and the bigger the venue got, the less interest I had in seeing them...
Isn't that true for just about every band though?  Especially if you're seeing them multiple times touring for the same record? [/b]
Not really; many bands are just as good if not better live.  Tool, The White Stripes, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, anything Mike Patton related, just to name a few.  On the other hands, there are just as many that sound terrible live such as White Zombie and RHCP.  Actually, RHCP sound like ass either way you cut it.

alex

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 09:03:00 am »
sucks he got hurt, but maybe now they'll come back headlining clubs and not opening for some shitty hot-at-the-moment pop band

SalParadise

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 10:50:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Sounds like a spontaneous pneumothorax.  Bummer for him.  Nearly killed me about 10 years ago.
that sounds.. ouch. if your job was flailing your body around wildly night after night banging shit as hard as you can (i.e. being bloc party's drummer), you think you'd be able to do it post-op?

in other words, i hope this doesn't kill his budding career.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 12:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by ayates:

Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Isn't that true for just about every band though?  Especially if you're seeing them multiple times touring for the same record? [/b]
Not really; many bands are just as good if not better live.  Tool, The White Stripes, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, anything Mike Patton related, just to name a few.  On the other hands, there are just as many that sound terrible live such as White Zombie and RHCP.  Actually, RHCP sound like ass either way you cut it. [/b]
I meant the part about them becoming less interesting after seeing them multiple times, in bigger venues with the same material.

I totally agree that some bands are much better live than on record.