Author Topic: ipod/iphone question of the month  (Read 1837 times)

lbcardoni

ipod/iphone question of the month
« on: February 19, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »
So the other night I attempted to load songs from a computer that was not the computer I registered my iphone on.  I didn't give it much thought until a friend of mine said he had the same problem with his new ipod classic today at work (he was trying to load songs from his work PC to his ipod he had registered on his home computer).  

The device is set to manually mange music, the same way my older ipod is, which allows me to transfer music from multiple computers onto it.    

Is there another setting I need to use to allow the transferring of music from multiple computers or is that not a possibility with the latest gen of devices?  Or does the fact that they were registered on certain computers have anything to do with it?

Sage 703

Re: ipod/iphone question of the month
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:35:00 pm »
i have what I believe is the newest generation of iPod Classic (not the Touch), and I haven't had a problem loading songs from multiple computers (work and home).

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »
The computers both have to:

(1) Be set to manually manage music, and

(2) Be signed into the same iTunes Music Store account.  

You can register up to 5 different computers with the same iTunes Music account.  Sometimes, simply signing into the account again will fix the problem (I don't know if it logs out over time or not).
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »
apple FAQ claims you should be good to go.

Originally posted by The Parkers are dead:
 a friend of mine said he had the same problem with his new ipod classic
maybe my reading comprehension skillz are abandoning me, but i'm not sure you ever actually described what your problem was     :p     did the ipod freeze up?  did the songs refuse to transfer?  did the computer not recognize the ipod?

you might want to also try using another app to transfer music, like WinAmp... forget all that registering nonesense.
<sig>

lbcardoni

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »
Yeah..Sorry...I failed to make it clear that on the second computer, the songs wouldn't transfer from the itunes library to the ipod or the iphone.  it recognizes the device, but won't accept the transfer

I will try logging into itunes and see if taht helps.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 09:28:00 pm »
i'd try googling the exact error message that you got.
<sig>

taperkat

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »
Especially with iPhones, as they are registered, it's becoming more and more you're not able to move them between computers.

Applecare *should* be able to help you.

(sorry this is late. was at GDC all week. If you can't get it, drop me an email at poetneko@mac.com and i'll ask the genii at work..)