Author Topic: Metal weekend rollcall  (Read 2880 times)

azaghal1981

Metal weekend rollcall
« on: February 06, 2009, 04:16:39 pm »
Because everyone needs a weekend of metal once in a while...

Saturday at the club:
3 Generations of DC Stoner Doom THE WINO BAND featuring Jean-Paul Gaster of Clutch & Jon Blank of Rezin
w/ King Giant, Salome

Sunday at Velvet:
Dysrhythmia (Relapse), Tombs (Relapse), Drugs of Faith, Within the Lich Gate

Thinking Cat Power should be wrapping up in time for anyone who wants to to catch the top half of this bill.

Anyone?????????????
احمد

nkotb

Re: Metal weekend rollcall
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:20:52 pm »
Not really the weekend, but don't forget Goblin Cock on Monday night.

Because everyone needs a weekend of metal once in a while...

Saturday at the club:
3 Generations of DC Stoner Doom THE WINO BAND featuring Jean-Paul Gaster of Clutch & Jon Blank of Rezin
w/ King Giant, Salome

Sunday at Velvet:
Dysrhythmia (Relapse), Tombs (Relapse), Drugs of Faith, Within the Lich Gate

Thinking Cat Power should be wrapping up in time for anyone who wants to to catch the top half of this bill.

Anyone?????????????

azaghal1981

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:29:49 pm »
Oooooh good call.

I was pondering leaving the BC show early for that.
احمد

redsock

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:32:40 pm »
I will be at the Velvet on Sunday. Need to stimulate my musical tastes every once in awhile. And i have to see 333 bands this year.

Unsanity

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 05:00:10 am »
The Wino Band was killer. Love that stuff. Jean-Paul was insane on the kit as usual. Good to see the DC stoner/doom scene really starting to come into its own. I hit up Ottobar on Friday to see Dub Trio and Dillinger Escape Plan as well. That show was bananas. I might go see the show on sunday night if I don't spend all my money at the DC record fair, as I love basically anything Relapse records puts out. This was a great weekend of heavy metal.

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 09:57:25 am »
Yeah the Wino band was solid and tight. Were those old tracks Saint Vitus songs? A lot of them sounded vaguely familiar. The new ones sounded great in a live setting, too. Salome were also very impressive. That girl's vocal range is unreal.
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 03:11:49 pm »
Yeah the Wino band was solid and tight. Were those old tracks Saint Vitus songs? A lot of them sounded vaguely familiar. The new ones sounded great in a live setting, too. Salome were also very impressive. That girl's vocal range is unreal.

your musical adventures and quotablities are now just beginning to scare me.  and your ability to see so many shows.

serpent boy

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 04:21:08 pm »
I'll be at Cat Power tonight, but that's about all. Not really a metal weekend for me. :)

azaghal1981

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 04:46:16 pm »
Tombs in the Velvet will be punishing as all hell. Can't wait! :)
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 03:30:13 am »
Tombs and Dysrhythmia were both fantastic! Missed about 10 minutes of Tombs due to the Cat Power show running a little long but what I did catch was so crushing and visceral! They played a good mix of doom, hardcore and thrash without stopping during the duration of their set. Dysrhythmia's set was comprised of excellent new tight mathy compositions turned up to 11. Great cap to a night that started off shaky at best (thanks for very little, Ms. Marshall).
احمد