Author Topic: Prodigy  (Read 6077 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Prodigy
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 11:54:04 am »
in 1997, i sold a bag of crystal meth to the crystal method.
and thats no joke.

betao

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 01:20:01 pm »
For anyone who is on the fence with Prodigy, here is the toronto setlist. You can expect it to be very similar to this.

Toronto March 25th Kool Haus

Intro
Worlds On Fire
Their Law
Breathe
Breathe (Dubstep Mix)
Omen
Poison
Warrior's Dance
Firestarter
Action Radar Link
Run With The Wolves
Voodoo People
Comanche
---
Invaders Must Die
Diesel Power Beats
Smack My Bitch Up
Take Me To the Hospital
Out Of Space

bearman🐻

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 01:25:01 pm »
Out of Space??? SO totally there. Awesome that they're covering all their bases. I wish "Girls" were on there, I love that song.

betao

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 01:35:13 pm »
yeah they've been closing with Out of Space for the past couple of years now, I say its a safe bet that they'll end with it here. They've also talked about playing Thunder live (rumor is they're going to play it in Miami for the first time), so maybe we'd get that too.

And this is pretty neat, this is something they're doing for one of the UK gigs in April:

from www.theprodigy.com

"The band want to drop a couple of old tunes in their set at the Brixton show. Vote from the following list and you'll get to hear the two most requested tracks on the night.

You can vote for:

RHYTHM OF LIFE
WIND IT UP
GIRLS
THE HEAT THE ENERGY
MESCALINE
BREAK N ENTER
NO GOOD"

Maybe if they get comfy playing them they'll appear in the set again later on!

walkonby

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 01:43:40 pm »
has anybody ever seen them do this live?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRdaWUBpaVo

i would gladly have a seizure to witness it.

wml7 . . . .

wml7

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 02:08:50 pm »
cute

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 02:53:32 pm »
has anybody ever seen them do this live?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRdaWUBpaVo

i would gladly have a seizure to witness it.

wml7 . . . .

Yes they did this in 1997 at HFSTival. I even have a bootleg before FOTL was released, I believe it's from Seattle even, they performed it there as well.
3MTA3

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 11:39:09 am »
short version: the prodigy still deliver.  place went ape-sh*t for 70 minutes.  pit was really intense, bordering on RATM levels (but no violence, just a mass of humanity lurching and pogo'ing in unison).  fun.  sweaty.  recommended for fans, but probably won't convert anyone.  bring earplugs.

long version: forthcoming.
<sig>

betao

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 01:23:40 pm »
good to hear, sweetcell. You also got to hear them play Thunder for the first time! I'm jealous.

bearman🐻

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 12:35:41 pm »
Prodigy is one of the most physical shows I've ever seen. Sweaty, absolutely insane. Don't expect to stand still at one of their shows. I remember in 1998 when they played the club and the entire main floor was like a trampolene. Not a single soul down there was standing. It was almost like you had to keep jumping in mid-air just to see the stage...that being said, it was SO fun. I'm really excited about seeing them again and hearing "Out of Space" for the first time. I hope they add "Girls" or "Wind it Up" to the set.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 01:08:20 pm »
as promised/threatened:

i was in line shortly after 9 and it took me 45 minutes to get inside the Roseland.  the line wrapped around the building almost 270 degrees.  i would have been fine wit this save for the fact that is was raining cats, dogs, gerbils, and several species of amphibians - potentially more, but the better part of an hour spent in the torrential rain tends to dull one's sense of taxonomic observation.  suffice to say that everyone was a hot soaking mess by the time they made it through the door... and it only went downhill after that.

by 9:45 (AKA the time i got in), the place was pretty much packed (roseland = ~ 3000 people).  this was my first show at the roseland.  given the length of the line i encountered when I arrived, I considered myself lucky to get a spot near the soundboard at the back of the hall.  Busy P's set was generally forgettable, except for ending with "fight for your right to party" that had some traction with the home-town crowd.  second time i've heard him spin and the second time i've asked myself "if he owns & manages such a great label, why is he spinning such crap?!?"

scheduled for 10, the prodigy came on around 10:25 - they're now batting 0 for 2 in the on-time dept for club shows, be warned.  i was happy with my back-of-the-monstrous-hall position and was prepared to spend the concert 250 feet away from the stage, but just before the band took the stage, Mr. 6'4"/280lbs came barging through with every intent of making it all the way to the front.  when this highway opened itself to me i rode his wake to within 4 bodies from the rail, AKA ~24 inches once the music started.  from an e-mail to my buddy: "once the music, surge & crush came on, it got hot, sweaty and insane instantly.  zero room to move.  it wasn't so much dancing as being involuntarily moved by the human mass.  the only pit i've ever experienced that was more intense was rage against the machine... this was luckily a lot friendlier, but still high potential for passing out, getting hit by crowd surfers, etc.  at one point i had to make some space by pushing back on the wall of flesh for a girl who couldn't breath... it was that tight.  i lasted about half of the main set up there before needing to bail.  caught the rest of the show from the back, and dried off :)  definitely glad i went, but it was the pit experience that i'll remember most about this show.  music was fun, but it really was all about the crowd's energy."  i got carpet-burn (jean-burn?) from a crowd-surfer's knee using my forehead as a support point.  the band was definitely fired up, maxim & keith were jumping around as much as the crowd.  live set-up = the 2 MCs, liam on laptop/keys/samplers/etc, a guitarist, and a drummer.

if you want the full intensity of this show - it's a ton of fun and generally safe - get down in front.  check your jacket and don't bring a purse.  otherwise, enjoy observing the madness from the back of the room or the balcony.

good photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycelectro/3394419398/in/photostream/  note how much room the crowd has up front... i.e., NONE.  now imagine everyone jumping in unison... bearman is right!
<sig>