Author Topic: David Byrne/Devotcka roll call  (Read 4705 times)

Re: David Byrne/Devotcka roll call
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 07:25:01 am »
You'd think that taking a two year old to a concert would be a recipe for disaster, but it this case things worked out just swimmingly.

We got our three tickets prior to the gates opening (yes, toddlers pay full price, she borrowed it from her college fund), and made our way to the front of the lawn. My daughter was a dancing maniac for Devotchka and the first part of David Byrne. Then Dave started serving up too much of the solo stuff and my daughter fell asleep at about 9:30. Devotchka and David Byrned complemented each other perfectly.

I printed out a setlist from a previous show, and he followed it EXCACTLY, except with the omission of one solo song. That made it very handy in terms of cutting out after the second encore and beating the crowd to the parking lot.

?Strange Overtones?
?I Zimbra?
?One Fine Day?
?Help Me Somebody?
?Houses In Motion?
?My Big Nurse?
?My Big Hands (Fall Through The Cracks)?
?Heaven?
?Poor Boy?
?Life Is Long?
?The River?
?Crosseyed and Painless?
?Born Under Punches?
?Once In A Lifetime?
?Life During Wartime?
?I Feel My Stuff?

Encore 1
?Take Me To The River?
?The Great Curve?

Encore 2
?Air?
?Burning Down The House?

Encore 3
?Everything That Happens?

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 08:36:48 am »
That's essentially the same setlist I heard.
احمد

Bagley

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 01:05:20 pm »
a wonderful night at wolftrap...devotchka was tremendous and  everything about the byrne set was great especially the dancers...ted leonsis sat in front of us singing the words to the old stuff....best show i've seen there in quite some time...disappointed there wasn't a review in the post today

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 01:12:05 pm »
This was the review on the Post blog. Why Leonsis gets top billing baffles me.

We know Ted Leonsis is D.C.'s best sports owner, but now we know something else: He's a David Byrne fan. At Byrne's show at Wolf Trap last night, Leonsis took a seat around sixth row center during DeVotchka's opening set. The savvy Caps owner sat politely through the Denver combo's gypsy-indie rock, but he -- like almost everyone else -- bopped happily along to Byrne's continuation of the successful "Everything That Happens Will Happen Today" tour, based on his collaboration with seminal pop eccentric Brian Eno.
(Read the rest of the review after the jump.)

Ted and the near-capacity crowd even deserve a few kudos, since they didn't let the show's overreliance on Talking Heads classics and frivolous dance routines get in the way of a good time.
Of course, an entire evening devoted to mining the more obscure melodic nuggets of the Byrne/Eno mind-meld might not have filled up the Filene Center (where "Burning Down the House" takes on a whole new meaning). So, hearing the lush, rolling choruses of the duo's recent gems "One Fine Day" and "Life Is Long" plus two pieces from 1981's spine-tingling "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" amongst a series of predictable Heads standards were rousing highlights -- and about as heady as mainstream, outdoor summer rock gets.
Byrne and his sizable troupe of musicians/percussionists/dancers (clad in white to presumably match their leader's shock of hair) have been performing this show since last fall -- including a stop in D.C. last November -- so the set's air of workmanlike rigidity was understandable.
Harder to fathom were certain dance interludes, in which leaping and flailing felt like little more than attempt to perk up a few tired tunes. That's the kind of crutch a first-rate artist like Byrne has rarely been guilty of leaning on.
-- PATRICK FOSTER

a wonderful night at wolftrap...devotchka was tremendous and  everything about the byrne set was great especially the dancers...ted leonsis sat in front of us singing the words to the old stuff....best show i've seen there in quite some time...disappointed there wasn't a review in the post today

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 01:27:50 pm »
We know Ted Leonsis is D.C.'s best sports owner,
HYSTERICAL. I guess looking at the 4 DC pro teams there really isn't a great owner to talk about (no offense meant) but it wasn't too long ago that Ted Leonsis was generally considered the worst owner in hockey. And while he's apparently currently looked at in a favorable light, that is 100% predicated on his team being terrible and their lotto ball popping up first so the Caps could have Ovechkin, because lord knows for years he had no commitment to putting out a decent product for the fans. Again, not trying to start a fight, but my head just about spun around reading "Ted Leonsis" and "best owner" in the same sentence.

Don't want to hijack the thread, if someone wants to respond we can take it over to the Stanley Cup thread.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:31:02 pm by Julian, Certified WEBLEBRITY »