Author Topic: Beastie Men roll call  (Read 5967 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Beastie Men roll call
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 03:52:25 pm »
YOUUUUUUU...YOUUUUUUU GOT WHAT I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED....

sonickteam2

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 03:54:21 pm »
ha, ok. i am leaving to go stand in line....

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2009, 04:00:43 pm »
Oh shit.
Is he really opening?

If so, I wish I got tickets.

bearman🐻

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 09:08:30 am »
Setlist:

Root Down
Skills to Pay the Bills
Sure Shot
Alright Hear This
No Sleep Til Brooklyn (hilarious how they messed up the beginning)
Shake Your Rump
Egg Raid on Mojo
Biz vs the Nuge (w/Biz Markie doing the actual vocal)
Time For Living
Sabrosa
B-For My Name
Lee Majors
Remote Control
Body Movin'
B-Boys in the Cut
Flute Loop
Pass the Mic
Right Now
Ch-Ch-Check It Out
Ricky's Theme
Lighten Up
Off the Grid
Something's Gotta Give
Benny & the Jets (w/Biz Markie...one of the highlights of the night and I don't even like that song)
Tough Guy
So Whatcha Want
--------------------
Heart Attack Man
3 MC's and 1 DJ
Intergalactic
Sabotage (insane mosh pit during this one)

All in all good, sloppy mistake-laden set. I really wasn't sure what they'd do, but it was a huge variety of old, new, punk, rap, instrumental stuff. Not the concert of the year or anything, but still a fun time and a great show on a random Tuesday night. Very happy that I got to see this. For every 3 posers there was one totally cool person, lots of aging frat boys as you'd expect, and LOTS of girls dragged by boyfriends/husbands. That being said, it seemed like everyone was having a good time.

shemptiness

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 10:22:20 am »

sonickteam2

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2009, 11:15:08 am »
 OK, so i am not the biggest Beastie fan out there and have already seen several lackluster shows from them so my expectation werent the highest. 

When we saw the setlist, i was disappointed that only No Sleep was on it from License To Ill.  After they played it, though, i was glad they are scrapping that old stuff cause they cant really pull it off anymore.  They were much more tight and solid on their newer and instrument-driven songs. problem was, the crowd wasnt really interested in hearing that stuff.  So, when they sounded average, the crowd was going crazy, when they sounded their best, the crowd was bored.

Either way it was super fun and I was with a couple Beastie Boys virgins who finally got to see them.  Also, the venue did a remarkable job and getting people in and stuff, despite my overpreparation, things went smooth (sorry miss sugartastic lady!)

I give it an A-

Jane's and NIN was probably a better show, but this one was much more memorable, if that makes sense.

eltee

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 10:03:37 am »
It was fun. Pretty much agree with all sonick and the review stated.
(I was curious what was up w/ MCA as well - by mid-show, I figured he was just having a nic fit or something by the way he chomped his gum and a ready to "move on" vibe)
No worries, sonick - everything timed out perfectly - thanks for planning. We had hardly a wait and found a great spot - minus the fat head and beer slinging ladies. ;)
RHL did a great job. Yet, someone needs to light those two steps next to the soundboard, and put up some netting on the rails. I was conked on the head twice by cups. (I also saw a few on the main toss their cups behind them?!) Oh, and was that beer or condensation dripping on us all night?
I do think I'm a bit old for the crowd antics but it was a fun occasion and a band I've always wanted to see. Thanks for bringing them back!
Oh, and anyone regretting they didn't go b/c Biz Markie was on the bill - do not be. It was awful painful, like some crazy scene from "Arrested Development". I didn't know if someone should go up and help him or this is how his shows always were? I would have much rather he let the songs run or a DJ play a set.  He did all right the two minutes he was on stage w/ BB though.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:15:51 am by Sugartastic Tee »

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 10:48:39 am »
I once saw Biz Markie sing the national anthem at a demolition derby in upstate New York. True story.

eltee

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009, 12:54:19 pm »
Did he sing the entire anthem or just one verse?

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 12:57:28 pm »
He sang it twice, straight through. All while doing a one armed handstand. True story.