Author Topic: So Seth is suing Live Nation?  (Read 1859 times)

MonkeyPants

So Seth is suing Live Nation?
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:04:24 am »
In PostRock this morning:
Seth Hurwitz has taken his "It's My [Insert Noun Here]" nomenclature to court, declaring: It's My Lawsuit! He's filed an 11-count lawsuit against Live Nation in federal court, claiming that the L.A.-based promoting/producing giant has a monopolistic grip on the national concert market and is forcing artists to play Nissan Pavilion instead of Merriweather Post Pavilion, which is booked by It's My Party and managed by It's My Amphitheatre, both of which are co-owned by Hurwitz. Oddly, the lawsuit was filed in March, but nobody seems to have noticed until recent days, when attorneys for Hurwitz filed a memorandum more or less saying that Live Nation's motion to dismiss should be dismissed.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postrock/
PANTS

shemptiness

Re: So Seth is suing Live Nation?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 01:16:49 pm »

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:23:06 pm »
I don't see how a court can do anything here. 

No offense to Seth, but this seems dumb.  Of course, I don't know all the details behind it, but it sounds strange to me.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:20:12 pm »
I don't see how a court can do anything here. 

No offense to Seth, but this seems dumb.  Of course, I don't know all the details behind it, but it sounds strange to me.

Band X wants to play the 930 Club (or DAR or Merriweather) because they've played there in the past and had the best experience of their tour. They're coming back around, unfortunately not able to work with the same promoter because the giant umbrella owner Live Nation is telling them, you MUST play Venue Y otherwise you will breach some silly performance contract.

This is happening all the time with bands being forced and told where they have to play rather than allow the band's own booking agent to conduct the business with long-term relationships they've established from city to city with various local promoters.

It's only going to get worse once the Fillmore is in and I believe that is also what Seth is trying to cut off and avoid happening before they open the doors.
3MTA3

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 04:53:00 pm »
i'm guessin' that the Blink182 show with it's TBA to MPP to Maybe Canceled to Up in the Air  is part of this turf war...
T.Rex