Author Topic: Critique of film: 930 F St.  (Read 5469 times)

twangirl

Re: Critique of film: 930 F St.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 01:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Got Haggis?:
  speaking of the old 930 club....

did that guy Jared from the band Chemlab actually own the 930 club at one point?
No.
 Jared was the night manager [and frequent DJ] for a number of years in the late '80s-1991 but he never owned the club.

djtommyb

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2005, 10:30:00 pm »
Mike,

Good to hear from you. It's been a while, huh? Still any connection to MUC? My wife just started attending UMUC. I don't think she'll be spinning at WMUC anytime, though.

Thanks for yr feedback on the movie. In my twisted way, I was kinda hurt nobody interviewed me for the movie. What am I, some kinda FNG? I've only been spinning at the club since the end of 1983!

I got to the club late, on the night of the reunion, and only saw the last 10-15 minutes, so I can't judge yr comments, but if it is a shame if Lamont isn't mentioned.

Did anybody mention Kevin Doran? He was the head DJ when I started. And how could you forget Kim Gilogly (sp?), and Wannabe Dub?

Good to hear Jared got a mention. Did anybody recall his first night as manager? Actually, I'm not sure I remember this correctly, but I think his first night was a Butth*le Surfers show, and it was when Gibby started his rubbing alcohol trick, and everybody freaked out, when he was lighting fires everywhere, and somebody suuposedly started a fire in one of the dumpsters out in the alley behind the club, and everything just got outta hand. A real "baptism by fire," as it were. At least that's how I remembered it.

I guess I'll just need to see this thing somehow.

Cheers,

Tommy B

SPARX

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2005, 11:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by DJ Tommy B:
   Actually, I'm not sure I remember this correctly, but I think his first night was a Butth*le Surfers show, and it was when Gibby started his rubbing alcohol trick, and everybody freaked out, when he was lighting fires everywhere, and somebody suuposedly started a fire in one of the dumpsters out in the alley behind the club, and everything just got outta hand. A real "baptism by fire," as it were. At least that's how I remembered it.

I remember that show. That's pretty much how I remember it going down.Nobody was sure if the smoke was part of the act or what. They had the crazy day glo belly dancer as well,I believe.That crazy Gibby!!

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 12:53:00 am »
Gibby Gibby, oh, got to go-go now!
_\|/_

leseth

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 07:31:00 am »
there's some joke/story/fable about a blind man and an elepehant's tail whereby that is his perception of the animal...pardon my brain cells (or lack thereof) for not remembering it exactly

but the point is that if this was somebody's impressions of the 930, then that cannot be argued with

fact is, it was many things to many people, and still is

I really enjoyed this version...perhaps other people will make the effort to tell theirs someday, but these guys are the ones who actually did

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 09:30:00 am »
   but I think his first night was a Butth*le Surfers show, and it was when Gibby started his rubbing alcohol trick, and everybody freaked out, when he was lighting fires everywhere
Is that when he would fill an upside-down cymbal with rubbing alcohol, light it on fire and start banging away on it, spreading fire everywhere?  I was at that show (or one of those shows), about 2 feet from the stage.  I'll admit I was a little concerned.  But looking back, it's one of my favorite old-club memories.

Sir HC

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 09:52:00 am »
He would also pour the alcohol on his arm.  Works well if you have no hair (read fuses) on your arm.  I forget if it was there or college park where someone came on stage and took away his cymbal.  Just remember you could feel the heat across the room.

fmtico

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2005, 10:45:00 am »
 [QB] Mike,

Good to hear from you. It's been a while, huh? Still any connection to MUC? My wife just started attending UMUC. I don't think she'll be spinning at WMUC anytime, though.

Still there on Saturdays. There are a bunch of us old war horses there including Dominic.

Did anybody mention Kevin Doran? He was the head DJ when I started. And how could you forget Kim Gilogly (sp?), and Wannabe Dub?

Oh My God, Wannabe Dub! There is another name. I have no idea whatever happened to her. I thought she went to NYC, but my old brain may be confabulating that. And Kim is another one. I have no idea whatever happened to most of these folks. The old saying is, Life Happens.

djtommyb

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 06:49:00 pm »
Mike,

Glad to hear you and Dominic are still plying the airwaves.

Seth,

Good point. The story is that three blind guys encounter an elephant, and try to figure out what it is. The guy at the front feels the trunk, and declares it's a snake. The second guy feels one of the elephants legs, and declares it's a tree, and the last guy feels the tail, and declares it's a rope.

And then the guy behind the elephant picks up a pile of elephant crap with his shovel and complains about how horrible his job is. One of the blind guys asks, "Why don't you get a new job,?" to which the shovel guys responds, "What, and leave show business??"

Well, I guess I got that story a little mixeded up as well, but you were right on target about the club, it has been a different thing for all the people who've been involved in the place.

Cheers,

DJ Tommy B

dcgrrl

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 10:43:00 am »
I have to add to the disappointment being sounded here. Although I think the filmmakers did a good job covering the founding of the club, and then the moving of the club, they left a big gap in the middle, which is what I think we're all talking about. The best I can figure is that they just were too young or not around to enjoy it all, so they didnâ??t know who to ask.

I saw everyone from DRI to Ice T to Trent Reznor to David J. (I never saw Fugazi there.) What about that nasty dressing room? What about those trippy videos? And indeed, the mischief in the basement that included all the sex and drugs that goes along with rock and roll. The staff there was always great to me â?? they bounced a guy for me once, and I always felt safe there.

Ah well â?? I did enjoy Lisaâ??s smell story, and the rat stories were great, too. I hope thereâ??s another way the peopleâ??s history of the old 9:30 Club gets out there one dayâ?¦

SalParadise

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 11:04:00 am »
i saw the movie sunday night. enjoyed it.

something i got from it that maybe someone here can clarify:

"straight-edge"

i knew kids growing up in miami, fl who were "straight-edge". obviously it grew into a well-known movement of sorts...but i think it's really interesting if it all stemmed from the kids just wanting to get into 21+ shows, and not some "i wanna keep my body clean and pure" ethos?

like if 930 F was all ages from the get-go, straight-edge would've never existed and hundreds (thousands?) of kids across the states would've lead regular, alcohol-fueled high school lives?

pretty crazy.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2005, 11:05:00 am »
Seriously, yawl, if you want a fuller story of what the 930 was really like, find that Mark Jenkins story that he wrote for the City Pap when the old club shut its doors.  It's in their archives and worth the five bux.  He went farther than anyone else has to capturing it all.
_\|/_

Bags

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2005, 01:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by dcgrrl:
  I have to add to the disappointment being sounded here. Although I think the filmmakers did a good job covering the founding of the club, and then the moving of the club, they left a big gap in the middle, which is what I think we're all talking about.

I saw everyone from DRI to Ice T to Trent Reznor to David J. (I never saw Fugazi there.) What about that nasty dressing room? What about those trippy videos?  
Geez, I must be incredibly easy to please.  Though certainly the sheer nostalgia of the club made me really, really happy (I saw the film Sunday night at AFI as well), I thought it was well done and a good document of the club as well.

I think the point that those folks who have a lot of criticism with the film is missing is that the mission of a documentary like this is to reveal how the club was special and had its own unique story and purpose.  While it was a cool venue, it wasn't special because all kinds of cool bands played there before they hit it big.  It's not even special that bands who couldn't get other gigs in town played there.   MANY cities had that one place to showcase emerging national acts, and I'll bet nearly all of them had nasty dressing rooms and sex and drugs in the basement...

What's special about the 9:30 Club is the role it played in the town and its particularly integral role as not just a place to see music but in the actual development of very specific and original local scenes.  If you didn't get that from the interviews with Dodi on the whole scene going on in the Atlantic Building and the owners' intent in the first decade of the club, I think you're missing out on the most unique and interesting part of the club's story.  That such a grand, well-run and kick-ass club has grown out of that beginning is pretty damn awesome and quite an achievement, if you ask me.

dcgrrl

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2005, 11:48:00 am »
originally posted by Bags
 What's special about the 9:30 Club is the role it played in the town and its particularly integral role as not just a place to see music but in the actual development of very specific and original local scenes. If you didn't get that from the interviews with Dodi on the whole scene going on in the Atlantic Building and the owners' intent in the first decade of the club, I think you're missing out on the most unique and interesting part of the club's story. That such a grand, well-run and kick-ass club has grown out of that beginning is pretty damn awesome and quite an achievement, if you ask me.  
Unfortunately, I didn't get that from the documentary, perhaps - 1) because the interviews with Dodi were pretty shabby technically. 2) because I was overwhelmed with Ian's interviews and could hardly remember anything anyone else said.

The doc really seemed to focus on Dodi's "art rock" vision compromising with Ian and his straight edge buddies, then Seth's smart business management. But it doesn't talk about the other music scenes in the city that it did help nurture - dangerous, as it opens the film talking about how barren DC seems to outsiders.

You're right, it is awesome that it has moved from such a lowly, rat-infested, smelly pit to one of the most highly rated clubs on the east coast, but you're also right, you are easy to please in comparison with some of us. I admit I'm being picky. But I spent more of my college hours at the 9:30 club than in class, and I learned to love the place and the people and DC music. I can't help but demand excellence.

It's all out of love, man -  peace.