Author Topic: Attn renters: paying your landlord's legal fees?  (Read 1612 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Attn renters: paying your landlord's legal fees?
« on: August 23, 2009, 08:51:30 pm »
heya folks, an off-topic question for ya: we're about to sign a new lease and i'm intrigued by the following clause in the contract:

23.   ATTORNEYS' FEES.  Should it become necessary for Landlord to employ an attorney to enforce any of the conditions or covenants hereof, including the collection of rentals or gaining possession of the Premises, Tenant agrees to pay all expenses so incurred, including a reasonable attorneys' fee.

i've signed probably a dozen leases in my time and i don't recall ever seeing such a clause - so i'm wondering, is this typical and i just haven't been paying attention or is this as out of the ordinary as i think it is? 

has anyone else seen such terms?  thanks.
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Attn renters: paying your landlord's legal fees?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:54:05 pm »
I absolutely have never seen that in any lease. If someone has an actual problem, in Virginia at least, they absolutely can ask the court to have the defendant reimburse them their legal fees, but this clause (at least to the lay person) seems to concede any right someone might have to fight such a thing. Wow.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:58:34 pm »
I just checked the new lease they sent us last week, and there's nothing like that.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:12:27 pm »
are you in my neighborhood now?
nothx

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:17:19 pm »
yeah, i guess they're trying to hammer home a point that's already in the law books: expect to pay landlord's legal fees for not adhering to the contract.  little point in doing so other than intimidation, as far as i can tell.

thanks for your insights, jules.  and fyi, we're still looking to buy (thanks for your advice on that too) but need another short-term lease until we find property to purchase.

miss p: not quite, we over-shot you... moving to rockville.  may yet end up buying in your 'hood, but for the short-term we'll be closer to work for the missus.  i'm certainly hoping we move back closer to civilization.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 09:21:50 pm »
That's closer to mine and Joe's hoods!
احمد