Author Topic: 43% surcharge on ticket @ ticketfly.com?!? What the...????  (Read 19247 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: 43% surcharge on ticket @ ticketfly.com?!? What the...????
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 09:14:35 pm »
Plus, based on the amount of shows some of you guys go to, ticket surcharges are obviously not a concern.  You're only fired up enough to gripe about it on a message board.

I think service fees are lame too, but guess what?  They're providing me a service so I don't have to drive to get tickets.  Seems fair to me.

nkotb, voice of reason!!... What the hell? What year is it? How long have I been asleep?

hutch

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 09:31:45 pm »

(Ticket was $20, surcharges were almost $9, FYI)

so if the ticket ends up being $29, then that's what it costs...you should decide to go based on that number

how it gets split up between nightclub/promoter/ticket co/band...that just doesn't matter...the end result to you is that it's $29...worrying about who gets what on our end just isn't going to help you

I agree with the people that say vote with your wallet

I agree Seth but why not then charge 29$ all in? You say we shouldn't worry about the extra $9 but its you guys that bring it up! Just charge us the all in price and then you divide up the charges amongst yourselves..  I mean you say not to think about it and we wouldn't except you bring it up by having one price and then adding the charges and telling us what they are..... no?

nkotb

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 11:46:37 pm »
It's just nuts...we're talking about a modern convenience here.  It's not like a food or water surcharge...it's a fucking concert.

Somebody had to man up and set the record straight  ;)

nkotb, voice of reason!!... What the hell? What year is it? How long have I been asleep?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 12:11:10 am »
one could always buy tickets from a broker, just consider it a different but still pesky convenience fee.
T.Rex

Driveway

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 12:27:12 am »
This sure leaves a good opportunity for the Fillmore to undercut, if it ever opens.

Driveway

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 12:36:21 am »

how it gets split up between nightclub/promoter/ticket co/band...that just doesn't matter...the end result to you is that it's $29...worrying about who gets what on our end just isn't going to help you

This statement is ridiculous.  Of course we care were our money is going.   ::)  On a slightly unrelated note, that's the reason I tried so hard to get my $5 refund from the Virgin Festival when Ticketmaster  tried to swindle it away from me.  I don't support that company.  I would rather my $5 go to the charity... not ticketmaster.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:41:20 am by Driveway »

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 08:04:47 am »
This sure leaves a good opportunity for the Fillmore to undercut, if it ever opens.

Right...Live Nation will be all over that

azaghal1981

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 08:42:22 am »
you haven't seen LN's charges lately, have you? They're downright hilarious.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:45:32 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 10:33:26 am »

Right...Live Nation will be all over that

I laughed at that too. Live Nation is always there with one hand deep in your pocket and the other with a knife in it behind your back.

While Driveway did bring up a good ethical point that a lot of consumers do think of before making purchases, he forgot who he was talking about on this one. Which, ultimately, unless it's a show I must see (and that list is small), I fully intend to boycott that place. It has 'screw you' to the average consumer, citizen and artist written all over it! Just wish everyone else would do the same... though we all know how many will think nothing of storming right in there. Just look how many of them shop at Slave-Mart.

Driveway

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2009, 11:27:57 am »
By no means do I support The Fillmore or Live Nation.  I think they and Clear Channel are pretty darned evil.  I'm just saying that ticketfly's seemingly high service charges would make it easy for them to undercut, if they chose to do so.

I'd like to see a flat fee for service charges instead of a percentage.  A $55 dollar ticket doesn't cost more to print and mail than a $10 ticket.  This would also remove the 'surprise' element at check out.  I know this is a pipe dream though and will likely never happen. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:30:42 am by Driveway »

MonkeyPants

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 11:36:25 am »
By no means do I support The Fillmore or Live Nation.  I think they and Clear Channel are pretty darned evil. 

to clarify
LiveNation=Clear Channel
They just "spun it off" gave it a new name because the old one had such a bad rep, but it's run by the same people who ran Clear Channel Entertainment.
PANTS

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 12:23:09 pm »
My options where 1) no beer or 2) drink a PBR.  I opted for number one.

We all make mistakes.  I respect your decision to own up to yours here on the board.  Well done.

nkotb

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2009, 12:38:45 pm »
I don't understand the comment and I won't respond to it.

My options where 1) no beer or 2) drink a PBR.  I opted for number one.

We all make mistakes.  I respect your decision to own up to yours here on the board.  Well done.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2009, 12:56:29 pm »
I'd like to see a flat fee for service charges instead of a percentage.  A $55 dollar ticket doesn't cost more to print and mail than a $10 ticket.  This would also remove the 'surprise' element at check out.  I know this is a pipe dream though and will likely never happen. 

i strongly suspect that expensive tickets subsidize the cheap ones.  a flat rate might be $7 - a huge hit on a $10 ticket, but acceptable for a $75 one.  so instead you get $4 on the $10, and $11 on the $75.

i agree with everyone who said that ticket fees and surcharges should be obvious up front.  is it REALLY that hard to put on the event page, in small type, "$4 convenience fee per ticket, and $5 processing fee per order"?  the motivation of the ticket vendor to not do so is obvious: they want you to already have made the purchase decision before you see the final price.  they're thinking that they'll get more sales that way, vs having the full price up front and scaring customers away.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2009, 01:03:12 pm »

If you're one one those people who can afford $55 for a concert ticket by some overhyped artist or  classic artist slumming it at the club, you probably shouldn't be worrying about service fees.