Author Topic: Phrazes for the Young  (Read 1725 times)

Big KC

Phrazes for the Young
« on: October 28, 2009, 06:38:35 am »
I was warned to hate this about a month ago ? and it?s probably the most surprising, interesting record i've heard the year.
There is so much going on in those 8 tracks ? especially love the Hammond Jr. sample.
The guy still can?t sing, but neither can Chris Martin or Bono for that matter ? but what tunes!
My only complaint is letting it collect dust for weeks - and maybe another track, or two.

James Ford

Re: Phrazes for the Young
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 07:37:30 am »
The first two songs are surprisingly good, but it sinks like the Titanic after that.

And though they haven't released a good album this decade, I have to disagree...Bono can sing.

Chris Martin...well he married Gwynneth Paltrow and they give their little boy a little girl haircut. And named his kids Moses and Apple. So no love for him.

Mobius

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 01:30:34 pm »
He was on Conan last night (same time as an excellent performance by Florence and the Machine on Letterman) . . . and won me over by the end.  The Strokes were supposed to have been making a new album earlier this year and the timing seemed right for them to make up for past mistakes and reclaim the Decade, so its disappointing to see Julian Casablancas as a solo artist, but it was pretty cool . . .band seemed like LA-style hipsters with super-hot percussionist . . .took some time to sink in but it ultimately worked

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 10:56:21 am »
The Strokes could tour on Is This It? and Room on Fire for the next decade and I'd be first in line to plunk down $75 to see it.

Note: I never saw the Strokes during either Is This It? or Room on Fire tours. I saw them on the third album, but missed a lot of the meat songs from those albums (Is This It, Trying Your Luck, Take it or Leave it, Alone Together, What Ever Happened? Meet Me in the Bathroom, You Talk Way Too Much, Under Control, I Can't Win).