Author Topic: Official Roll Call-Pixies @ DAR Constitution 11/30 and 12/1  (Read 12485 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Official Roll Call-Pixies @ DAR Constitution 11/30 and 12/1
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2009, 02:03:51 am »
I thought the sound was fantastic. Finally got to hear "There Goes My Gun" and "Silver" and 3 out of 4 Doolittle b-sides (Manta Ray, Weird at My School, Bailey's Walk). I think those are the only songs they have not done since they reformed in 2004.

What an unreal version of Into the White...  :o :o :o

Wish they played Winterlong...!

Enjoy tomorrow everyone!  :-* 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 02:07:46 am by Hello Sunshine M! »
(_|_)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2009, 08:33:32 am »
I'll be there tonight, in box area 42 looking straight on.   

_\|/_

bearman🐻

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2009, 10:23:48 am »
Look for the bald bearded guy in front of Joey, flipping out. That would be me ;)

bearman🐻

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2009, 03:46:33 pm »
FYI orchestra seats released

wml7

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 06:41:39 am »
how was the second night?  Did they play the same setlist?  ;D

• my blog
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2009, 08:29:14 am »
They played straight through "Doolittle" as I imagine they do everywhere... they opened with a few B-sides and threw a few more in at the end.

It didn't detract from the greatness of the performance at all, but they messed up on a couple of songs...  something went wrong in "Gouge Away" near the end.  "Where is my Mind" was kind of sluggish.    "Number 19" was as beautiful and haunting as ever, but it seemed at one point like Kim Deal and Joey Santiago kinda lost each other.  But mostly it was a powerful show played in a solid workmanlike manner.

Our seats turned out to be great.   There were these two girls next to us who insisted on play-acting their way through every song, almost like a bad SNL skit, except for a point where their attention flagged and they started photographing each other instead.   That annoyed the guy sitting near us so much that he went and stood in another section.  I managed to keep my annoyance down by imagining them in far less clothes than they were wearing.  :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:36:35 am by Doctor Doom »
_\|/_

wml7

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2009, 10:18:34 am »
   That annoyed the guy sitting near us so much that he went and stood in another section.  I managed to keep my annoyance down by imagining them in far less clothes than they were wearing.  :)
[/quote]

Now that's what I'm talking about  ;D

bearman🐻

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2009, 10:53:25 am »
I really enjoyed both nights...I'd say that the first night was slightly better, but I loved the encores of the second night as well. I still can't believe how good the sound was for that venue, and I was right up on the left side of the stage. I don't know why, but I just assumed it would be off but I could hear Kim's vocals and everything just fine. Good balance. There were a few little skirmishes as Dr. Doom pointed out, but all in all I thought they were fine. Joey did a clunker on the first night that was hilarious because he winced when he did and the rest of the band just laughed at him. The highlight for me last night was Black Francis and David Lovering smiling at me, pointing and coming over to shake my hand. The geeky 15-year-old in me was totally freaking out.  Got to say a quick hi to David and Kim on the way out too.

Mobius

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2009, 11:19:50 am »
Went back last night . . .like flipping the cassette for another listen back in the day I guess.  Another great show.  I thought they maybe started sharper, but agree there were some off moments along the way.  The Pixies are synonomous with Loud-Quiet-Loud but I think its more accurately Take Off - In Flight - Landing - Take Off  - In Flight - Landing (except when its more like Paddle-Paddle-Surf).  No. 13 Baby on night one was a smoother flight, but some were better last night.   I don't think I ever listened to Silver all the way through before, always fast forwarded, but I enjoyed it live.  Followed by Gouge Away, a perfect ending.

The last encore was pretty rocking with Vamos, Isla De Encanta, Broken Face and Something About You then the heavy hitters Where is My Mind (with particularly hypnotic ending) and Gigantic.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:34:54 am by Mobius »

rich_WDC

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2009, 11:57:46 am »
No BONE MACHINE either night!   (Based on tour's setlists, it seemed we woulda gotten that one.)

starrdogg92

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2009, 01:04:28 pm »
I thought the Pixies were fantastic, but I think Mew nearly equalled them despite only playing 45 minutes (I may be alone in this opinion, I know). The fact that they started at 7:43 was a little odd, since the place was largely empty, but they absolutely rocked it with a hit-filled set. When I saw them at the Black Cat a few years ago I thought that they would be better suited for a larger venue and I was definitely right. The sound was huge and the lights were fantastic. Singer Jonas Bjerre was sitting right behind me during the Pixies set (he's a HUGE fan), and was extremely gracious when I told him how incredible their set was.

• my blog
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2009, 08:12:21 pm »
I think Mew nearly equalled them ...  was extremely gracious when I told him how incredible their set was.

I think he was probably extremely gracious because deep down he knew how much his band sucked...  I try to be sympathetic to opening bands, I know it's not an easy position to be in, but Mew was a band with absolutely nothing interesting to offer the world.    They weren't actively bad, just a total snooze fest.  Sorry to be harsh but to equate them with the Pixies is crazy.
_\|/_