Author Topic: please god stop the f-ing tributes!!! burn GarageBand burn  (Read 3109 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
please god stop the f-ing tributes!!! burn GarageBand burn
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:02:26 am »

WHY?

just a 30 second preview of this makes me to sit in a closed garage with the car running....

and if you google the "label" responsible for this and other thrilling "tributes", there is a warning about it being an unsafe website due to it installing malware... real class act they've got going on there...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:07:22 am by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

nkotb

Re: please god stop the f-ing tributes!!! burn GarageBand burn
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:09:51 am »
Are these things the musical equivalent of the unauthorized quickie biography?  This Owl City dude has only been ripping off Ben Gibbard for like 15 minutes and he already has a smooth jazz tribute???

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:26:38 am »
One would have to think so... seeing as the same label has also issued the string and piano tributes to Owl City as well as Lady GaGa, etc... I even wonder if real saxophones are involved in this cash grab effort
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 12:09:56 pm »
this thread should have been called, "stop the f-ing covers!  burn unoriginality burn."

the flaming lips covering pink floyd's dark side is the epitome of this.

James Ford

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 12:12:14 pm »
this thread should have been called, "stop the f-ing covers!  burn unoriginality burn."

the flaming lips covering pink floyd's dark side is the epitome of this.

I found that, and their own new album, to be unlistenable.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 12:55:56 pm »
while it's a fine line I'll contend that the numerous tribute albums are different than someone doing a cover, primarily because most tribute albums are done to cash in on another artists fame.   they are done like nkotb's comparison to an un-authorized biography, in order to hope some fan will want who can't get enough of say Radiohead, they will want to hear the dub, string quartet, etc versions of their songs. 
T.Rex

Venerable Bede

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 02:22:14 pm »
while it's a fine line I'll contend that the numerous tribute albums are different than someone doing a cover, primarily because most tribute albums are done to cash in on another artists fame.   they are done like nkotb's comparison to an un-authorized biography, in order to hope some fan will want who can't get enough of say Radiohead, they will want to hear the dub, string quartet, etc versions of their songs. 

i know someone who loves the london philharmonic's best of pink floyd. . .when asked what pink floyd song was their favorite, the person responded by telling me they had never listened to pink floyd, they just liked the london philharmonic's cover album of pink floyd.
OU812

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 02:52:01 pm »
I know someone who got into radiohead because of the East Star All-Stars' dub/reggae tribute to radiohead album. Weird.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 09:56:35 pm »
Radiodread is awesome.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 11:49:59 pm »
Radiodread is awesome.

\no they aren't.  they make derivative work in a genre that has been dismissed by this board.  there can be no exceptions!!!

::)

seriously, people need to chill out on this topic.  there are plenty of horrible attempts at re-doing someone else's work (in the same genre or a different one), and there are some good ones.  IMO, the easy star all stars are in the latter category.  dub side of the moon is entertaining as well - it's not high art, it's not going to make anyone's top-10-of-the-year list, but it's entertaining.
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 12:21:27 am »
I agree that you can't tag all covers with one value judgement. Have heard some stunning attempts along with a whole lot of truly dreadful ones.

For an example of a remake that excels almost (and some would absolutely say yes) puts the original to shame is Hammock's cover of Catherine Wheel's "Black Metallic". That thing is incredible! Plumbline also did a very good cover of the very same song.

The '60s are full of great hit songs that are really nothing but covers. Come on Kosmo; take it away!  ;)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 03:53:45 pm »
The Hot Rats (aka Gaz and Danny of Supergrass) had some amazing covers last night. Favorites included: Drive My Car, Mirror in the Bathroom, Queen Bitch ---- well I liked pretty much everything. Had a really great Kinks cover, but I forgot which song.
HeyLa

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 01:11:17 am »
too lazy to start a new thread, but mash-up  are the next blight on the musical landscape that need eliminating...

avoid at all costs the raconteurs and lady gaga crapfest polluting the interweb at the moment... i could only stomach 15secs of her "singing" before shutting it down.  >:(
T.Rex

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 08:16:45 am »
i've always been fond of DJ Earworm's mashups though.  :)

Worst cover I've come across in a very long time, by Blur:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZexXf0loCXk

_\|/_