Author Topic: Liz Phair on Espn  (Read 1870 times)

ratioci nation

Bags

Re: Liz Phair on Espn
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 11:05:00 am »
Liz Phair, Putting the R Back in Rock
 Tuesday, April 6, 2004; Page C08
 Washington Post

In the 11 years since her Hustler-smutty debut, "Exile in Guyville," former indie-rocker Liz Phair has become a wife, a mother, a divorcee and, on her curiously teen-poppy new album, Hilary Duff's jealous big sister. But as a sold-out 9:30 club discovered Sunday, one thing hasn't changed: As a live performer, she's still a living, breathing parental-advisory sticker in a low-cut blouse.

Wearing a Britneyesque headset that allowed for plenty of over-amplified heavy breathing -- and rubbing her midriff when she wasn't awkwardly strumming her guitar -- the 36-year-old Chicago native with the bouncy blond locks and precarious decolletage vamped through a 90-minute, 23-song set. Along the way, she sloppily yet winningly proved, as the new song "Extraordinary" says, that she's "just your ordinary, average, everyday, sane, psycho super-goddess."

Phair has taken guff lately for supposedly betraying her gritty singer-songwriter roots by working with Avril Lavigne's writing team, the Matrix. But clean or explicit, electric or acoustic, she's always had a way with a rocking good hook. On Sunday, the only difference between current glossy hits "Why Can't I?" and "Extraordinary" (currently being used by ESPN to promote women's college hoops) and the previous decade's tawdry tell-alls "Supernova" and "Flower" (currently being used as inspiration for Penthouse Forum letters) were shinier choruses and varying degrees of carnal knowledge.

Phair's little-girl voice remains a tricky treat, soft and wobbly enough to sound vulnerable (on "Chopsticks" and "Never Said") but hard and confident when she needed to soar above the often overwrought four-piece backing band (on "Rock Me" and "Red Light Fever"). And the female-empowerment champ sure hasn't lost her talent for making people squirm as they sing along. An extended encore -- with the house lights up, no less -- included her filthy one-night-stand anthem with the very unprintable title and the show closer "H.W.C." about, well, very unprintable stuff. You won't hear that on Nickelodeon.

-- Sean Daly

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 11:11:00 am »
dear liz phair,

stop

love,
 everyone
o/\o

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 11:13:00 am »
ps. more naked picture, plz
o/\o

Bags

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 11:15:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  dear liz phair,

stop

love,
 everyone
HAHAHAAAA....
 Did I tell the story about *almost* buying her CD?  I decided, maybe I'm being closed-minded, just do it (this is after seeing her at the 9:30 last fall).  At Olsson's Dupont it was one of the staff's picks, so I picked it up, began to leaf through the CD booklet and put it back.  The booklet's like a mini-issue of FHM.  Shoeshine, just pick up the CD, that may suffice for now.    ;)

godsshoeshine

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 11:21:00 am »
well...my girlfriend (aka letters and soda) is/was a huge liz phair phan, and we were going to be in the area anyway...so we saw the philly show last friday. even the sound was bad   :(

her friend told me, 'i appologize on the behalf of liz phair fans everywhere'. heh
o/\o

Bags

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 11:23:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
 ...letters and soda...
I kinda figured she was a fan.    ;)  
 Sorry the Phillie show was bad.  Was it bad besides the sound?  (I missed the show here; was not loving the show last time --I think 'my' Liz Phair of Exile is just an icon in my head now...)

godsshoeshine

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 11:30:00 am »
horrendous. she played a bunch of exile, but not much whipsmart. the band sounds flat, and that damn headset makes her sound like she swallowed the mike (in a nonhott way) and makes her look like a fool. it was like watching malkmus do songs with justin timberlake
o/\o

Guiny

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 12:50:00 pm »
I thought it was a good show, i do admit though that some songs you couldnt really hear her sing which was disappointing. But i'd still go see her again.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 12:53:00 pm »
you saw her in dc i assume? i heard the recher show was better than philly
o/\o

jkeisenh

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 01:22:00 pm »
i used to be a huge liz phair fan.  i thought she was awesome.  i identified with her.

then she changed, and now i just can't like her any more.  

it's a transition i've watched a lot of female artists go through-- Ani's transition from anger to sadness to meaninglessness, Sleater-Kinney's man-hating edgy first album to their present sound/message, and so on...

Only, it seems, Sleater-Kinney is the only one who made the transitions gracefully enough to not lose me.

Guiny

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 01:57:00 pm »
Liz Phair did just fine in her transition, just cause her song is played on ESPN to Woman's College Basketball doesn't mean we can all wine about it. She's still good......Waaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!

godsshoeshine

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 02:01:00 pm »
well, i was complaining more about her song sucking and her half-assed performance, but whatever. don't care about modest mouse or the flaming lips selling their songs to commercials. at least not too too much
o/\o