Author Topic: Merzbow/Pinhas Rollcall!  (Read 5041 times)

aglanixp

Re: Merzbow/Pinhas Rollcall!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 05:48:17 pm »
Going and pretty excited.  Last time I saw Merzbow was in 1995 at a winery in Portland, OR.  The bottles were rattling loudly in all the wine racks around everyone.

nkotb

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 06:51:58 pm »
He can't be too bitter.  I mean, wouldn't the band, at some point, have to OK the tour schedule?  He could've easily played a stand-alone show if he wanted...

I don't blame him for being bitter.

azaghal1981

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 12:34:49 am »
So yeah, that was epic.

Not noisy at all except for maybe the encore. I didn't even need the earplugs for most of the main set.

Very blissed out and spacy.
Based on  all the collaborations I've heard, Merzbow is great at showing restraint and not drowning out his collaborators.

They filmed it and made a multi-track audio recording. Hopefully it sees the light of day somehow.
احمد

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 01:49:50 am »
That was very satisfying indeed. They started so tentatively I feared a bust but once going it was often sublime. Besides the obvious Fripp references, Pinhas' playing early on also reminded me of Vini Reilly. Never broke out the plugs. Hell, it could have been a Merzbow date night  ;D. But I think the sound may have been cranked as the performance went on, as ears adjusted.

Blue Sausage Infant was pretty good, sometimes hypnotic. TL0741 needs to develop his performance. It was a meandering catalog of occasionally interesting sounds. He had a few good ideas but never developed them for more than a minute.
😐 🎶

azaghal1981

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 07:03:59 am »
There were way more women there than I expected. A dude I was talking to referred to them as "merzbait." Easily the funniest thing I heard all night.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 07:20:19 am »
A friend of mine was tasked with giving Merzbow a ride back to his hotel. Wonder how that went.
احمد