Author Topic: GBV roll call, pregame and bizarre set time  (Read 10817 times)

hutch

Re: GBV roll call, pregame and bizarre set time
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2010, 12:25:24 pm »
It was short and it started too early

I wound up getting sick about 80 minutes in last night and had to leave.  What time did they finally shut it down?
they  started at 9:16 but there was about 10 minutes of gibberish noise.. they really started about 9:25 or so...

ended somewhere between 11:21 and 11:30..probably closer to 11:21....based on the time of my last pictures..

hutch

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2010, 12:31:44 pm »
maybe I shouldn't mention this but the band were smoking like chimneys all night... at one point the second hand smoke was noticeable and i looked around me thinking someone around me was smoking but then realized it was coming from bob and mitch

i am amazed at how bob pollard's voice holds up with all that smoking..he sounded amazing all night...

its too bad they couldn't get jim pollard to come out with them.. he was missed..

pascual_i285_perez

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2010, 12:51:36 pm »
It was short and it started too early

I wound up getting sick about 80 minutes in last night and had to leave.  What time did they finally shut it down?
they  started at 9:16 but there was about 10 minutes of gibberish noise.

Was that intentional or was that a result of "technical issues"?  From upstairs I saw a sound guy messing around with what appeared to be a CD player but couldn't really tell.  I made it until about 10:30 or so and then started crashing pretty hard so I left, sadly. 

I noticed the smoke too pretty early on.  It was really bad upstairs on Mitch's side.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2010, 01:30:44 pm »
They definitely had technical problems with a Discman-type cd player.  It looked like it would play for a few seconds then fail.  They scrambled to try to fix it for a few minutes, but eventually gave up.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2010, 05:40:56 pm »

had not been to duffys btw.. color me unimpressed.. rude waiter..high prices...surprised..i expected more.. a place that has 6 tvs and not one showing phillies-giants game?
i was at duffy's too, they definitely had the phillies-giants game on the tv closest to the door. my corn beef sandwich took forever, but was really good

it could have been longer, but really the only complaint i buy. so much fun
o/\o

Here's the thing

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2010, 06:46:26 pm »
Any thoughts on Sweet Apple?

hutch

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2010, 07:31:38 pm »

had not been to duffys btw.. color me unimpressed.. rude waiter..high prices...surprised..i expected more.. a place that has 6 tvs and not one showing phillies-giants game?
i was at duffy's too, they definitely had the phillies-giants game on the tv closest to the door. my corn beef sandwich took forever, but was really good

it could have been longer, but really the only complaint i buy. so much fun

the reason they had it on was that we asked! the game had been going on for a while already! i think it was in the third inning!  i was with two philllies fans...

our 20$ pitcher of yuengling (ripoff price) arrived with three glasses that were hot as they had just come out of dishwasher..ridiculous.

12 bucks for a dozen wings?

very down on this place....doubt i'll be back..

and lets not talk about the waiter who looked like he'd rather be anywhere else..

notme

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2010, 08:34:04 pm »
was that really j mascis with sweet apple?  the foh soundman for gbv was 930's soundman.  which is kind of weird, in that most bigger acts bring their own soundman.  i guess gbv was trying to save money.  plus they had 3 roadies.  mitch mitchell chain smoked literally all night.  when one of his cigs went out, a roadie had a lit one ready to go.  at one point one dropped out of his mouth while he was singing and someone in the crowd picked up and gave it back to him.  930 was packed thurs night.

azaghal1981

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2010, 08:45:04 pm »
I kept wanting J to rip a blistering guitar solo the whole time. Sweet Apple were OK.
احمد

Here's the thing

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2010, 10:43:01 pm »
That was an incredible demonstration of iron-man (or iron-lung) smoking. Can't be good for you...
I didn't realize that was J until midway through the set. I liked them. A couple of songs stuck with me and I downloaded them today. Always a pleasant surprise when when I like the opener enough to listen later. 

Venerable Bede

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2010, 01:12:59 am »
thank god the typing course audio wasn't working; at the austin show, it went on for like 15 minutes before gbv took the stage (it didn't help that there was a bunch of technical problems to start the show either). . the talls of lone star helped pass the time.  san francisco was brilliant!  d.c. was good, although mitch's guitar kept going in and out.  at least he got the solos right this time.....plus, the banter during "lethargy" was much more amusing than from the other shows i've seen.

sorry i missed everyone; i was in the back near the soundguy with godsshoeshine.....then we hung out downstairs afterwards.
OU812