Author Topic: Pretenders / IV Thieves DJ Setlist  (Read 1596 times)

ravedubin

Pretenders / IV Thieves DJ Setlist
« on: August 07, 2006, 07:57:00 am »
One solid hour, here's what I played...

Silversun Pickups-Checkered Floor (new)
 Golden Smog-Another Fine Day (new)
 The Raconteurs-Hands
 The Who-Summertime Blues
 The Jam-The Dreams Of Children
 Elvis Costello-Accidents Will Happen
 The Rolling Stones-What A Shame
 Nick Lowe-Cracking Up
 Kasabian-Empire (brand new)
 Love Is All-Talk Talk Talk Talk (new)
 The Dead 60's-Nowhere
 Television Personalities-Part Time Punks
 The Replacements-Takin' A Ride
 Buzzcocks-What Do I Get?
 Love-My Flash On You (Arthur Lee R.I.P.)
 Syd Barrett-Octopus (R.I.P.)
 Jason Collett-I'll Bring The Sun (new)
 The Clash-Train In Vain
 Orenda Fink-Bloodlines

IV Thieves on stage
 Pretenders on stage

Responses are always welcome

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Pretenders / IV Thieves DJ Setlist
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:08:00 am »
Cool stuff... Only caught the tail end right before IV Thieves came on and didn't realize the band took over after them... was beginning to wonder if there was an unwritten rule that T. Rex was suppose to be spun at all rock shows  :)

Will have to say that the Pretenders were very good, Chrissy's voice is in great shape and she's still a great front person.  I did however feel like the guitarist was working a bit to hard to play exactly like James Honeyman-Scott and it came off weak at times.  Could have used a little more urgency in the playing, but hearing all those classic early tracks was big fun.

The IV Thieves came very close to stealing the show though... Playing all new material except for the last song, they are really coming into their own.  Where as the Nic Armstrong record was good but a spot the influence affair, the new stuff is really really good... kinda of a punkish Beatles circa "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" vibe.  I certainly hope they can get a album recorded soon,  as they were able to get to grab the attention of an audience that probably doesn't listen to too much new music anymore which is always a good sign....
T.Rex

bearman🐻

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 10:13:00 am »
Did they play "the Wait" or "Tattooed Love Boys"?

Tom Servo

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 10:16:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

The IV Thieves came very close to stealing the show though... Playing all new material except for the last song, they are really coming into their own.  Where as the Nic Armstrong record was good but a spot the influence affair, the new stuff is really really good... kinda of a punkish Beatles circa "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" vibe.  I certainly hope they can get a album recorded soon,  as they were able to get to grab the attention of an audience that probably doesn't listen to too much new music anymore which is always a good sign....
Was the drummer coming out of his seat again?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 10:26:00 am »
Unfortunately the setlist eludes me but i'm pretty sure they played TBL by request during the encore...

and sadly the IV Thieves have changed drummers... i talked to Nic briefly during the Pretenders set and he told me the old drummer was sacked and currently living somewhere in Europe.  i got the impression Nic was sad to have lost him but there some personal problems there.  told Nic that he added a real fun element to the band live, but on the plus side the new drummer gives the band a real tight driven sound.

and speaking of drummers going AWOL, the Wreckers were without one as well as he just skipped out on the tour unexpectedly...
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 10:46:00 am »
It should also be noted that Chrissy is the first person to give it to all the idiot cameraphone users crowded around the stage... I really wish that at some point more artists get fed up with this annoying pratice and start banning the use of them during concerts.  The show was also smoke free by request of the artist  :D
T.Rex

Tom Servo

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 10:57:00 am »
  Unfortunately the setlist eludes me but i'm pretty sure they played TBL by request during the encore...

and sadly the IV Thieves have changed drummers... i talked to Nic briefly during the Pretenders set and he told me the old drummer was sacked and currently living somewhere in Europe.  i got the impression Nic was sad to have lost him but there some personal problems there.  told Nic that he added a real fun element to the band live, but on the plus side the new drummer gives the band a real tight driven sound.

and speaking of drummers going AWOL, the Wreckers were without one as well as he just skipped out on the tour unexpectedly...
That's too bad...he was great.  I'm sure they'll be fine, lots of talent in that group.  I'm looking forward to the next album and another swing through here.

Guiny

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 11:03:00 am »
Maybe more artist don't feel they are too good to get their pictures taken during a concert.  Personally, I wouldn't take the chance that her ugly mug would break the camera.

I liked the idea of few months ago that somebody brought up that maybe the first five minutes or so is camera time and after that, shut them off.  I wouldn't have minded getting many pictures of all the concerts I've been too, but of course I didn't because that's the rules.

mbg73

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 11:58:00 am »
They definitely played Tattooed Love Boys by request during the encore.  I actually thought the show was a little dull.  After the first few songs, they went into a stretch of midtempo and slow songs that seemed to go on way too long before things picked up again with Back on the Chain Gang. I like a lot of the slower songs they played (e.g., Time the Avenger), but they could have done a better job on the pacing by mixing things up more.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 12:51:00 pm »
  The show was also smoke free by request of the artist   :D  
Was it meat free, too?   ;)