Author Topic: Prince tour worth seeing?  (Read 3886 times)

Brian_Wallace

Re: Prince tour worth seeing?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 02:36:36 pm »
It's unsurprising but vansmack, sweetcell, et al firmly believe in idol worship.  Meaning that if you were great at one time, you will be great for infinity and how DARE you question otherwise!

i.e., Wilco, Nick Cave, Radiohead, Spiritualized, John Lennon, Neil Young, etc will ALWAYS be the most incredible, orgasmic, mind-blowing live experience your meager mind can ever comprehend and you should be HONORED to have the PRIVILEGE to be even be CONSIDERED to be ASKED to DONATE $235 a ticket to merely be within 500 yards of the same air that Kevin Shields farts in!!!

PRO: I'm sure Prince is perfectly fine in concert. 
CON: I know this is confusing but "1999" was released in 1982. And that's almost thirty years ago.  Hell, Pink Floyds used to roam the earth back then.

Brian

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 02:48:06 pm »
It's unsurprising but vansmack, sweetcell, et al firmly believe in idol worship.  Meaning that if you were great at one time, you will be great for infinity and how DARE you question otherwise!

First off, I am the idol that Sweetcell worships.

Secondly, I was forwarding a text that came from The Director for everyone's enjoyment because it made me laugh.
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 02:56:21 pm »
I think you forgot the Spin Doctors and Ned's Atomic Dustbin on that list.

i.e., Wilco, Nick Cave, Radiohead, Spiritualized, John Lennon, Neil Young, etc will ALWAYS be the most incredible, orgasmic, mind-blowing live experience your meager mind can ever comprehend and you should be HONORED to have the PRIVILEGE to be even be CONSIDERED to be ASKED to DONATE $235 a ticket to merely be within 500 yards of the same air that Kevin Shields farts in!!!

PRO: I'm sure Prince is perfectly fine in concert. 
CON: I know this is confusing but "1999" was released in 1982. And that's almost thirty years ago.  Hell, Pink Floyds used to roam the earth back then.

Brian

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 03:12:06 pm »
My first concert was the Purple Rain tour.  #2 was the Unforgettable Fire tour at (gasp) Constitution Hall and then the next  leg at Cap Center the following spring..  The bar was set high....

Vas Deferens

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 03:57:36 pm »
doesn't take much to impress sweetcell.
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 04:13:51 pm »
doesn't take much to impress sweetcell.

shit... you're right.  it only takes good music and a good performance to impress me*.

joe, on the other hand, has so much to take into consideration before deciding if he likes a band - what do the bloggers think?  how cutting edge will i look when i name-drop this band?  what do they wear?  has anyone outside the musical elite ever heard of them?  will they play the Backroom?  how bitchy will i appear when i diss other bands and offer up this one as the logical alternative?  have they sold more than 100 albums (aka have they sold out)?  does anyone in the band play the glockenspiel or a mongolian zyther?

with so much on one's mind, who has bandwidth to appreciate the music?

* before kosmo beats me to it: yeah yeah, pyramid and lasers help... ::)
<sig>

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 04:34:17 pm »
Ive seen 2 of Prince shows this time around. Id not pay more than $50 to see him at MSG. One of the boardies here (im totally forgetting his name on here :( ) and I paid $20 for the $100 seats and Im glad I didnt pay the higher price.

The two shows Ive seen I had seats in really different areas and both were great. Prince really works the stage and is pretty much everywhere on it. Id choose the sides if it were up to me. You might want to wait last minute and see if you can either geat really cheap seats outside the venue or on CL before the show.

I had never seen him before. I thought his IZOD show was way better than the MSG. Of course, we had the surprise performance of Sheila E. That was pretty awesome. I was very happy with the setlist - but Im not sure anything will ever surpass a show starting out with the line "Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today...."

Im contemplating finding the aforementioned boardie and trying to see more Prince shows with him :) Hes a perfect 'date'. Brooklynvegan had some pretty thorough write-ups as well as setlists of the shows.

Oh and NYC is becoming like a 'whose who' at these shows. Not sure if every show is like that - but if youre star crazy - seems you can see a lot of people.
HeyLa

Vas Deferens

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 06:09:19 pm »
did you ask yourself these questions before you went to Man or Astroman?  ::)

joe, on the other hand, has so much to take into consideration before deciding if he likes a band - what do the bloggers think?  how cutting edge will i look when i name-drop this band?  what do they wear?  has anyone outside the musical elite ever heard of them?  will they play the Backroom?  how bitchy will i appear when i diss other bands and offer up this one as the logical alternative?  have they sold more than 100 albums (aka have they sold out)?  does anyone in the band play the glockenspiel or a mongolian zyther?

with so much on one's mind, who has bandwidth to appreciate the music?

(_|_)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 08:59:40 am »

First off, I am the idol that Sweetcell worships.

Secondly, I was forwarding a text that came from The Director for everyone's enjoyment because it made me laugh.

i also received this text. lulz ensued.
nothx

vansmack

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 02:49:03 pm »
i also received this text. lulz ensued.

I feel so less special now.
27>34