Author Topic: Why Do Hippies (and hipsters) Still Exist in America?  (Read 3604 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Why Do Hippies (and hipsters) Still Exist in America?
« on: March 09, 2011, 04:49:42 pm »
HOW TO TELL IF YOU ARE DEALING WITH A HIPPIE:

- the are "Loathe to contribute to our domestic economy, they have long eschewed the acceptable consumerism so vital for our engines of growth despite the diversity of affordable products available to every citizen. They avoided the raw masculinity and progressive politics of the Reagan years."

- consumption of "Oxycotton" (oxygenated cotton???)

- "Possibly due to their immense consumption of psychedelics, they take great pride in showing off their unathletic, unshaven bodies at beaches, camps and even in our village squares."

- "They constantly cruise the internet looking for a thrilling marijuana ?score? and maybe a fluid-drenched intergeneration erotic encounter in some disused graveyard."

- Hippies vs. Hipters: "I have written about the youth trend of ?hipsters? in the past and it?s important to realize that hippies are somewhat different. Hipsters, while also predominantly Caucasian, tend to come from more affluent backgrounds and their sophistication shows. The hipster rebels against wealth and power by slumming in urban, ethnic ghettoes. They use family money to create farcical careers as unpublished authors or fashion designers. They tend to be far more sexual and consequently likelier carriers of herpes and genital warts. Hipsters fetishize clothes above drugs, while for hippies it?s the opposite. There are far more homosexuals in the hipster demographic, for the hippie does not enjoy expensive hair products and tight clothing. Hippies are more often overweight and unappealing physically, as hipsters use more cocaine and cigarettes than their peers and remain lithe and active."

continued: http://christwire.org/2010/10/why-do-hippies-still-exist-in-america/
<sig>

godsshoeshine

Re: Why Do Hippies (and hipsters) Still Exist in America?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 04:51:47 pm »
lotta pressure on walkonby to deliver here
o/\o

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:01:48 pm »
Ha ha. One of those pictures is from this handy field guide from the Westword:  http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/2010/07/white_people_with_dreads_a_field_guide.php  ;D

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:06:46 pm »
lotta pressure on walkonby to deliver here

More importantly, I want to know what Sweetcell's doing scouring Christian message boards. Don't get enough holier than thous here, Sweets?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:00:30 pm »
admittedly i am in fact holier than thou heathens... as if!

fyi, this site is The Onion of the religious blgosphere.  hence my interest ;D
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:54:09 pm »
i hate them both, for they are conformists.  rip off generational leeches.  i just want to listen to the music and be left to mine own deductions.  so don't dance in ridiculous circles and play your little drums  / don't carry around your worn paperback novels drinking only the finest of imports.  don't flip out on god knows what type of drugs in front of me / or flip out glare my way behind those army issue spectacles and x marked hand meant to show superior thought pattern because i smoked some pot.  don't over do the tie dye or the mural art grateful dead shirts / keep the wool sweaters, tight jean illuminations to a minimum.  act the same every once in a while.  be one of the herd and let life flow like nothing really matters.  and both . . . shave the fucking beards.  or atleast trim them down so you look like you aren't a radical.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:57:01 pm by walkonby »

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:39:12 am »
Ha ha. One of those pictures is from this handy field guide from the Westword:  http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/2010/07/white_people_with_dreads_a_field_guide.php  ;D

i'm pretty sure those shots are from red rocks, which was the site of one of the biggest hippie related dilemmas i have ever faced:

i witnessed a group of hippies beating up a neo-nazi.  the same SS lightning bolt tattoo sporting neo-nazi that had just asked me if i hated "fucking hippies" as much as he did.  words had been exchanged and the neo-nazi didn't take too kindly to being called a "faggot," so he got out of his truck and went after the lead hippie.  he then got swarmed and was on the ground getting kicked repeatedly by about 6 hippies. 

what to do in that situation?  the neo-nazi was clearly in the wrong and definitely brought this situation on himself, but i just couldn't stand by and watch a group of people deliver such a one sided beating to anyone (no matter how much they may have been asking for it).  so, madgypsy and i got out of our car and broke up the beatdown, allowing the neo-nazi to stumble back to his truck and drive away knowing that he got his ass handed to him by a bunch of "fucking hippies," which may well be a fate worse than the beating we saved him from.

James Ford

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 09:07:55 am »
Do you think you'll still be breaking up fights between nazis and hippies when you're in your 50's like me and ggw?

Relaxer

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 11:49:51 am »
Do you think you'll still be breaking up fights between nazis and hippies when you're in your 50's like me and ggw?

I'd think that depends on which one of you is the nazi and which is the hippie.
oword

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 12:40:47 pm »
... so don't dance in ridiculous circles and play your little drums 

Hey..... I like my drum.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 01:10:35 pm »
women beat their men... men beat on their drums.

ergo, all men are hippies.

</tangent>
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 01:23:30 pm »
but aren't women who beat on their men either lesbians . . . or hipsters?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 11:15:46 am »