Author Topic: Folk music fans...  (Read 2634 times)

snailhook

Folk music fans...
« on: April 22, 2011, 01:00:17 pm »
...you probably don't want to miss Michael Chapman and the Black Twig Pickers at Avant-Fairfax tomorrow.  Anyone who loves Neil Young, Richard Thompson, Bert Jansch, Tom Waits, Nick Drake, John Fahey, etc., should absolutely NOT ignore this rare opportunity to see one of the world's best, though unheralded, singer/songwriters and guitarists. And if you're into bluegrass and traditional Appalachia, the Black Twig Pickers sound like a trio of crusty old mountain men from West Virginia.  Chapman goes on at 9, and the Twigs at 10:30, so you can plan accordingly if you don't want to see the damaged noise and elevated psych that will bookend these exceptional performers.  And you can't go wrong with the price: pay what you want!

Info on Chapman and Black Twigs below, as well as the link to Avant-Fairfax:

http://www.myspace.com/avantfairfax

Michael Chapman
http://www.michaelchapman.co.uk/

The guitar and voice of Michael Chapman first became known on the Cornish Folk Circuit in 1967. Playing a blend of atmospheric and autobiographical material he established a reputation for intensity and innovation. Signed to EMI's Harvest label he recorded a quartet of classic albums. LPs like Rainmaker and Wrecked Again defined the melancholic observer role Michael was to make his own, mixing intricate guitar instrumentals with a full band sound. The influential album Fully Qualified Survivor, featuring the guitar of Mick Ronson and Rick (Steeleye Span) Kemp's bass, was John Peel's favorite album of 1970. Survivor featured the Chapman 'hit,' "Postcards of Scarborough," a characteristically tenderly sour song recounting the feelings of nostalgia and regret. Chapman's British peers included Nick Drake, Bert Jansch, and John Martyn.

A label change to Decca brought a change in sound. Electric guitar, still with that distinctive Chapman fluidity, featured more prominently. Tracks like "New York Ladies" and "Firewater Dreams" on Millstone Grit showed a guitar master pursuing sounds and textures. Michael continued to build his live reputation, touring solo and with a variety of groups, recording the live album Pleasures of the Streets, a strong mix of solo and band performances. He was a regular session contributor to Radio One, and BBC TV broadcast two Chapman Band performances as part of their Sight and Sound series.

A lively and accomplished improviser, Michael gained a reputation for re-working material, both before an audience and on record. Songs were seen as standards, themes to be explored, extended, and varied on stage and in the studio. The Don Nix-produced Savage Amusement featured versions of the Chapman songs "Shuffleboat River Farewell" and "It Didn't Work Out." Different musicians and a different sound breathed new life into earlier material, showing Michael to be a jazz musician in spirit if not in sound. The Man Who Hated Mornings showed the respect Michael commanded among musicians with supporting performances from Andy Latimer of Camel, Keith Hartley, and violinist Johnny Van Derek.

1978 brought another label change and the release of Playing Guitar The Easy Way, a guitar tutorial record that explained in simple terms, methods of playing the guitar using 12 different instrumental pieces each with a different open tuning. The critically well-received albums, Life On The Ceiling and Looking For Eleven, showed that Michael had fully absorbed elements of rock as he had done folk during the '60s, to produce a hybrid that mixed folk, jazz phrasing, rock, and elements of what became known as New Age Music.

In response to public demand, Michael recorded a solo album Almost Alone, presenting the relaxed eclectic mix that was a Chapman club gig. The '80s saw Michael back with Rick Kemp. Touring as a duo they released the live album Original Owners, whose version of "Shuffleboat River Farewell," stripped back to guitar and bass, showed that old dogs could teach new tricks. Anyone hearing the anger of the newer material, coupled with the volume and energy of the Chapman Kemp band Savage Amusement, formed in the mid-'80s, was left in no doubt that here was an elder statesman growing more acid, rather than mellower with age. After a period of reflection and lower-profile releases, Michael captured the mood of the time with his '87 album Heartbeat, a groundbreaking thematic album featuring a continuous 38-minute piece of music. This was an ambition made possible by the advent of CDs.

Experiments with sequencers and sampling on the '90s track "Geordies Down The Road," an anthem to the death of employment in the North East, assaulted the listener with foundry atmospherics and industrial guitars, showing that Michael wasn't standing still. The albums Still Making Rain and '95's Navigation presented a man whose world-weary voice, given a patina by life and hard living, delivered sensitive, emotional songs. While aware of his past, reinterpreting his hit "Postcards of Scarborough," Michael looked to the future. The playing was more considered than ever before. Fewer notes and space for music to breathe, gave songs like "The Mallard" and "It Ain't So" an almost hymn-like intensity. 1995 also saw the publishing of Michael's first novel "Firewater Dreams," a thinly veiled autobiography, which fleshed out some of his highly personal songs and explored his themes of regret, travel, and loneliness. Reviews of his recent album Navigation show the high regard for Michael Chapman: Mojo 11/95 "Twenty-one albums and he is still amazing"; Q 12/95 "**** (four stars out of a possible five) and his best album in years." Dreaming Out Loud followed again to good reviews. Twisted Road with the brilliant "Memphis in Winter" closed the century with reviewers calling it a return to the standard of Fully Qualified Survivor 30 years earlier. The new century brought two live albums, a series of reissues, and retrospectives with the Growing Pains series, documenting early live recordings and archive material. Travels in the USA and a love of photography informed Americana and Americana 2, instrumental snapshots with stunning sleeves and breathtaking guitar playing.

This self-styled old white blues guy from Yorkshire is one of the most underrated heroes of our time. With his uniquely English melancholic perspective and emotive guitar style he deserves wider recognition.

The Black Twigs
http:///www.blacktwigpickers.org
http://www.klang.org

Starting in a dark alley between the campers at the 1999 Galax Old Fiddlers Convention and named for an archaic apple variety from founding fiddler Ralph Berrier Jr.?s family orchard, the Black Twig Pickers? fiddle/banjo/guitar/washboard/whatsis racket has sounded in dives, barns, streets and dances from Amsterdam to Atlanta. Black Twigs CDs are available through our site below, at vhfrecords.com or midheaven.com, at itunes, emusic and at your finer establishments of the brick-and-mortar variety.
Check out songs on this page, at www.blacktwigpickers.org and at www.vhfrecords.com.
Schedule, news, promo/booking material and info on other Klang Industries family bands at www.blacktwigpickers.org and www.klang.org.

Midnight Has Come and Gone is the third CD by this Southwest Virginia group, and is another set of classic old-time, country blues, and Appalachian folk. Since 2003's Soon One Morning, the Black Twig trio of Mike Gangloff, Ralph Berrier, and Isak Howell has expanded to a quartet with the addition of bassist Mike Gayheart. Midnight Has Come and Gone is made up of mostly of original material, road tested at gigs and festivals along the Blue Ridge. Topical stormers like "Fire in the Stove" and "Blood Red Clay" are live staples, belted out here in a virtuoso hail of guitar, fiddle, banjo, and rough harmony. In contrast to the more trad-sounding fare, the grungy and twisting "Bent Mountain Drag" recalls "Beggar's"-era Rolling Stones. Continuing the Black Twig tradition of beautiful instrumentals, "Twilight on the Radford Army Ammunition Plant" is another hymn-like meditation outside the showy-offy bluegrass tradition. "Original Natural Bridge Blues" is a song from 1941, which has been recorded in an incomplete fashion by many groups over the years. Ralph's discovery of the original 1940s sheet music in a family photo album (detailed in the liner notes) revealed a lost verse, presented here for the first time. (VHF Records)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:02:29 pm by snailhook »

Mr.Whippy

Re: Folk music fans...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 04:44:29 pm »
As someone who previously got turned on to Michael Chapman per suggestion from Snailhook, I will definitely be there.  It's very true that fans of Bert Jansch or Richard Thompson would love this guy.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 05:40:13 pm »
Snailhook,

Is there any kind of schedule for this, or do you know when Michael Chapman is going to play?

I plan on seeing lots of acts, but might not be able to stay for the entire thing, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

azaghal1981

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 05:51:38 pm »
His post says Chapman at 9.
احمد

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 07:18:00 pm »
Thanks, and duh on my part.

snailhook

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 04:35:54 am »
Mr. Whippy, I will be the bearded bald guy running around making sure everything is running smooth. I'm opening the festival with a percussion duo at 5:30, probably accompanying 500mg at 8:45, and playing last in Kohoutek. Feel free to say hi.

Chapman will play for about an hour, and the Black Twigs about 45 minutes. We're making sure the schedule is strictly adhered to, which will be easy with two rooms.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 10:20:01 am »
Will do.

Thanks for tunring my on to Chapman a few months ago and for getting him here.

Unsanity

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 02:43:08 am »
Michael Chapman was fantastic.

azaghal1981

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 04:17:28 am »
Whole thing couldn't have gone better.

And yeah he was.
احمد

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 09:31:21 am »
Agreed, Chapman was amazing.  I'd love to catch one of his other east coast dates. 

I was shocked by how much of his set was songs from one album (Time Past and Time Passing), given that he has such a large discography.  It's a great record, though, so that's not a complaint.

Also really enjoyed 500mg.  I wish I could have stayed for the whole thing, but I'm sick right now and had to get back home to get some decent sleep.

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 06:49:48 am »
I was just telling somebody a couple days ago that although he played only one song from his 60's/early 70's albums (Kodak Ghosts), it didn't matter because his later stuff is just as strong. Sure, I would've loved to have heard "It Didn't Work Out" or "Aviator" or "Postcards from Scarborough" but I'm not at all disappointed that I didn't.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 06:59:38 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 03:23:28 pm »
Gonna see this guy twice in Richmond tomorrow, based on this thread and a few youtube songs. Looking forward to it!

Captain Jack

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 03:04:50 pm »
Chapman ruled at Avant Fairfax.

Did any of you cop the Ecstatic Peace LP he had with him? The Resurrection And Revenge Of The Clayton Peacock? Its a full blown druggy drone noise record, just acoustic guitar wildin' out. Unexpectedly outsider.

azaghal1981

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 03:20:51 pm »
^Caves Caverns were pretty great, too.

Somebody was telling me about that album but I didn't grab it.
احمد