Author Topic: Paul Simon ROLL CALL OMFGWTFBBQ123!!!!!  (Read 9212 times)

Kubacheck

Re: Paul Simon ROLL CALL OMFGWTFBBQ123!!!!!
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2011, 08:48:06 pm »
....my only complaint was the pair of cackling hens behind me (who i eventually asked to shush), otherwise no complaints about tonight's crowd.  there was a lot of space around us and the balconies didn't seem packed either.

I had a pair of them (cackling hens) in front of me..... for the first half of the show, I only got a respite when one went to the bathroom/beer break, then the other had no one to talk to..... then, luckily, one of them wandered up front for a good half hour or so.....

on the subject of the logistics of the show itself, I also give a BIG thumbs up to the will-call setup.... an entire show being will call had me nervous about lines to get in, but when we got there a bit before 7,  we just walked up to the appropriate table, got our tix and walked inside..... also agree that it felt a little less crowded than the usual sold out show, for the most part didn't get jostled much at all.... I went to both DC shows and glad I did, each had different things going for them..... of course, the 930 Club is far and away a better sounding "room" than DAR, so for that reason, the 930 show was my favorite of the two....

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2011, 10:35:57 pm »
my missus gets bonus irony points for googling "paul simon height" on her phone after she got tired of craning her neck to catch a glimpse of him (fyi, sources seems to narrow in around 5'2" - 5'3"). 

I had a pair of them (cackling hens) in front of me..... for the first half of the show, I only got a respite when one went to the bathroom/beer break, then the other had no one to talk to..... then, luckily, one of them wandered up front for a good half hour or so.....

were you by any chance a few feet in front of the sound-board?  we were about 10 feet in front of it, so our hens would have been 7-8' in front.  i too only got respite when one left for a been run and a bathroom break... until i asked them to can it.

the missus got tired of the cackling so she left and found a spot at the very back of the room - and ended up having a better line of sight from there than where she was previously (i.e. beside me).  the 930 rocks :)
<sig>

Kubacheck

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2011, 11:25:01 pm »
my missus gets bonus irony points for googling "paul simon height" on her phone after she got tired of craning her neck to catch a glimpse of him (fyi, sources seems to narrow in around 5'2" - 5'3"). 

were you by any chance a few feet in front of the sound-board?  we were about 10 feet in front of it, so our hens would have been 7-8' in front.  i too only got respite when one left for a been run and a bathroom break... until i asked them to can it.

the missus got tired of the cackling so she left and found a spot at the very back of the room - and ended up having a better line of sight from there than where she was previously (i.e. beside me).  the 930 rocks :)

no, I was up a couple of feet past where the right side bar (if you're facing the stage) ends, along the right wall.... but yeah, I'm with you on the "930 rocks" thing.... I don't get down there near as much as I'd like, but one thing I can generally count on is that the sound is usually pretty great....

serpent boy

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2011, 08:45:37 am »
Bootleg for this show is up on DimeADozen, in case anyone is interested.

hutch

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2011, 09:13:12 am »
Bootleg for this show is up on DimeADozen, in case anyone is interested.

hmm i thought they did not allow new users but they seem to...interesting

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 10:03:00 am »
my only complaint was the pair of cackling hens behind me (who i eventually asked to shush)

Notes on the Dime source:

Notes: great show by Paul and band, and he even managed to get through "Gumboots"
without help from the audience!! :-) anyway, a couple of things... first, the recording
starts out a little hot, the levels were peaking from the get-go, but I lowered it pretty
soon into the first song... second, it's subject to the usual pitfalls of a sold-out
general admission show, a little bit of chatter at times, including a couple of girls
in front of me, chattering away periodically.... one of whom you'll hear complain that some guy wouldn't let her through when coming back from the bathroom.... luckily, I did get about a nice long respite about halfway through when someone squeezed past with a plate of nachos and one of the girls decided she was going to follow the nachos up front (she actually said this) and stayed up there for a good while... I've never been so thankful to whoever invented nachos in my life.... :-) still, a decent recording...
😐 🎶