Author Topic: Cooperstown/Wilco  (Read 2296 times)

renton007

Cooperstown/Wilco
« on: April 12, 2012, 09:37:48 am »
I need to jump out of lurker mode for a minute to crowdsource. I just grabbed two tickets to the wilco gig in Cooperstown. I know nothing about the area and none of my friends have been.  If anyone can throw any advice around about where to stay, things to do, etc that'd be cool.

I'm thinking the hall of fame on Friday and show on Saturday and maybe work in a brewery tour.

Cute cat pics also acceptable as replies.

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Cooperstown/Wilco
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:50:25 am »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:52:11 am »
I'm thinking the hall of fame on Friday and show on Saturday and maybe work in a brewery tour.

that's pretty much what i'd do.  maybe do the brewery first in case there is something worth going back for on sunday (like the restaurant/cafe).  or, if you're a bigger baseball geek, keep current plan in case you don't get to everything on friday.

i'm pretty sure that mr. ford has been to the ommegang brewery, i'm sure he'll lay some wisdom on us.

this guy agrees with your plan:

<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:31:29 am »
http://blog.syracuse.com/drinks/2009/04/cooperstown_beverage_trail.html

Ommegang lets you taste all of their (excellent) standard beers if you do the tour. Not sure if the tour costs any $$ ($5 or less if it does). You're supposed to only be allowed tastings if you are actually doing the tour, but we've slipped in and just done the tasting as taking a small child on a brewery tour is a pain in the ass. They don't have a brewpub, just a small tasting room and a store. They also sell chocolates and jellies and shit like that in addition to beer. Unfortunately, I've never found the store to be any cheaper than your local Whole Foods price, so if you can get Ommegang where you live, no need to buy any there. Unless they have some kind of special limited release thing for sale.

Cooperstown Brewery is also worth checking out. Though they pale in comparison to Ommegang.

Never tried the cider or wine place.

And never been to the Baseball Hall of Fame. That's what I get for not having a son.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:44:40 am »
The tasting at Cooperstown Brewery is only $3 and highly worth it. Make sure you have a DD because they give you a ton of beer to try. Not as picturesque as Ommegang but fun nonetheless.

We also did Bear Pond Winery and the tasting was only $5, plus that $5 can also go towards a bottle of wine.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:47:23 am by BrettnotBritt »

K8teebug

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 01:28:41 pm »
The Baseball Hall of Fame is amazing. 

There's also a corvette museum there.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 01:41:39 pm »
you guys are forgetting the cat pics . . . the op will be

renton007

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 02:36:18 pm »
Thanks guys. I was in "buy now figure out logistics later" mode this morning and failed to notice that the show is actually at Ommegang Brewery. Score!  For some reason I thought it was at Doubleday Field. This will be my first show since The Stooges five years ago. Having two kids in a row takes shows out of the equation. Luckily, they both like baseball and "rocknroll" so we're taking them with us to the show and the HOF.

Yada

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 02:48:51 pm »
Thanks guys. I was in "buy now figure out logistics later" mode this morning and failed to notice that the show is actually at Ommegang Brewery. Score!  For some reason I thought it was at Doubleday Field. This will be my first show since The Stooges five years ago. Having two kids in a row takes shows out of the equation. Luckily, they both like baseball and "rocknroll" so we're taking them with us to the show and the HOF.

First show in five years?? Fuck...

**kills sperm cells**

renton007

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 02:56:48 pm »
Yeah, it's been a rough drought. We're the exception and not the rule since our families are not close by to use for the occasional baby-sitter. I'm sure most people with two still get out to gigs more than once every five. 

killsaly

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 03:37:11 pm »

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:43:23 pm by killsaly »