Author Topic: Flipboard  (Read 4526 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Flipboard
« on: March 28, 2013, 09:26:38 am »
http://flipboard.com/

As I wean myself from Google Reader, I'm looking for the right "reader" app.  I've dabbled with Flipboard in the past, but want to give it a shot as my daily driver.  Any power users out there have tips on how to best use the app?  I have a lot of overlap in my twitter and facebook feeds, and the feeds that you sign up for directly in the Flipboard app, not sure how to get the right balance.

I've tried Zite and Pulse, but don't quite like them as much as Flipboard.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2013/mar/27/flipboard-2-curating-digital-magazines
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:31:52 am by HoyaSaxa03 »
(o|o)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Flipboard
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:38:45 am »
I've never used Flipboard, and am looking for a Reader replacement too.  NewsBlur and The Old Reader seem to be the top recommendations on this thread (http://ask.metafilter.com/237169/Recommended-replacements-for-Google-Reader) and Lifehacker seems to be on the case too (http://lifehacker.com/5990456/google-reader-is-getting-shut-down-here-are-the-best-alternatives).

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:04:59 am »
Thanks, I've been looking into those options, but I'm also taking this opportunity to shake up my information diet and include more "predictive" content.  So I'm not looking at Flipboard as an apples-to-apples "replacement" for Google Reader.

It's the end of an era for me -- I probably spent 90% of my web browsing in Reader from 2006 to 2011, my use has declined steadily ever since Google stripped out the social features.

"Since July 3, 2006 you have read a total of 243,759 items."   :o
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:18:25 pm »
I use Flipboard everyday and have so for the last 6 months or so. It is especially fabulous on my tablet.

It used to pull my Google Reader feeds into one board, but now I've separated them into separate feeds as I'm not sure what happens on July 1 with my Reader feeds.

I have my Facebook and Twitter feeds in there and use the FB one occasionally because it's the old style (chronologically instead of Facebook's Newsfeed algorithm), but rarely use Twitter - I prefer Plume for that.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 03:08:36 pm »
I use Flipboard everyday and have so for the last 6 months or so. It is especially fabulous on my tablet.

It used to pull my Google Reader feeds into one board, but now I've separated them into separate feeds as I'm not sure what happens on July 1 with my Reader feeds.

I have my Facebook and Twitter feeds in there and use the FB one occasionally because it's the old style (chronologically instead of Facebook's Newsfeed algorithm), but rarely use Twitter - I prefer Plume for that.

I thought this thread might summon you.

So here's how I understand the app - you can start "boards" from:

your social networks:  facebook, twitter, instagram, etc.
RSS:  google reader, etc.
flipboard / specific websites & content providers
flipboard / algorithmic "topics"

I use twitter, facebook, and RSS in much the same way - to follow specific websites & content providers - so I have tons of overlap between these "boards" in flipboard.  I'd like to find a way to best organize all this content - any suggestions?

do you use flipboard's native "boards" for specific content?  how are they different than your RSS feed of the same content?  do you find flipboard's algorithmic "boards" for topics useful?

can you group a number of RSS feeds into a single "board"?

EDIT:  how about the "top stories" board?  useful or do you find yourself missing things?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:10:46 pm by HoyaSaxa03 »
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 04:00:50 pm »
So here's how I understand the app - you can start "boards" from:

your social networks:  facebook, twitter, instagram, etc.
RSS:  google reader, etc.
flipboard / specific websites & content providers
flipboard / algorithmic "topics"

Correct.  There is an "Accounts" section, which will add your social media accounts, and I recommend creating a Flipboard Account so your content is synced across devices - that will save you a lot of time if you have a phone and a tablet, or like me and have a ton of each and switch often.  In addition to the dozen or  so social media accounts, you can also use Flipboard to read your NYT subscription, which I find very nice.

You can then add any RSS feeds that you'd like.  I'd also recommend you add the "Flip It" Bookmarklet to your Chromebar so you can easily add pages/feeds to your board from your browser.  Otherwise you can use simple search or scrolling through their pre-listed Feeds, organized by subject.  On rare occasions, I've had to add the RSS feed via cut and paste, though that usually only happens when I stumble on a page via my tablet's browser.   

You can preview (or simply view) any of their pre-populated feeds, which is nice.  It only gets added to your account when you hit the plus sign.  I use this ability a lot for news I'm looking for but wouldn't appear in my regular boards.  For example - I subscribe to an RSS feed that is specific to my camera so I know when new lenses and firmware are available, but will browse the Photos and Design section occasionally to see what's up in the photoworld. 

I use twitter, facebook, and RSS in much the same way - to follow specific websites & content providers - so I have tons of overlap between these "boards" in flipboard.  I'd like to find a way to best organize all this content - any suggestions?

Let's be honest - twitter is why Google is killing Reader.  Now, Google may announce a replacement at I/O in May, but I haven't heard, so we're left wondering.

That being said, sadly, I don't do the same.  I rarely use Flipboard for Social Media.  I check FB once or twice a day (absent notifications) and have a widget on my phone and tablet home screen that keeps me up to date on Twitter (which I check about every 20 minutes). 

I also use extensions on my Chrome Browser that keep me current on FB notifications and Twitter on a very regular basis.

This might be where Flipboards "Cover Stories" could help you out....

do you use flipboard's native "boards" for specific content?  how are they different than your RSS feed of the same content?  do you find flipboard's algorithmic "boards" for topics useful?

Yes, I do. 

"Cover Stories" is only my content, which is good in a pinch, though I'm too anal to fully trust it.

However the other topical boards "Sports," "Technology" etc. have other content that I don't usually peruse.  I have found some interesting stuff there when I have the time to go through it.

can you group a number of RSS feeds into a single "board"?

EDIT:  how about the "top stories" board?  useful or do you find yourself missing things?

This is the big loss of Reader to me.  I can find RSS readers all over the place, but it was the ability to choose a handful of my favorites in my Reader account, and have the RSS reader group them together.  As I mentioned before, I have taken the RSS feeds and made individual boards in case I lose the feature when Reader goes away.  But it is very nice to be able to open up my Google Reader account on Flipboard and hammer through the 10 that I love in a relatively easy fashion. I have yet to be able to recreate this.

In the Top Stories, I usually find a lot of useful stuff, but it has never kept me from checking the 10 Boards I am addicted to and must check on at least a daily basis.

There are a couple of things I have suggested they fix:

(1) Allow me to rename the board.  It uses the title of the RSS feed, but given it's limited space, they start to all look the same after a while.  I'd like to be able to rename them to my needs.

(2) Sometimes it isn't clear to me when I scroll up and down to keep reading and when I scroll left and right.  They could be a little more consistent there, because sometimes it takes me to the next story and sometimes it takes me to the next page.

Lastly, I have no idea what this new magazine stuff they rolled out yesterday is.  I haven't had time to check it out.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:02:25 pm by vansmack »
27>34

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 04:28:48 pm »
I like the name Flipboard, mostly because when I see it, I pronounce it "Flibberd", kinda like "cupboard".

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 10:50:58 am »
thanks smackie

Let's be honest - twitter is why Google is killing Reader.  Now, Google may announce a replacement at I/O in May, but I haven't heard, so we're left wondering.

That being said, sadly, I don't do the same.  I rarely use Flipboard for Social Media.  I check FB once or twice a day (absent notifications) and have a widget on my phone and tablet home screen that keeps me up to date on Twitter (which I check about every 20 minutes). 

I also use extensions on my Chrome Browser that keep me current on FB notifications and Twitter on a very regular basis.

This might be where Flipboards "Cover Stories" could help you out....

I spent a couple of hours last night cleaning up my Twitter feeds, adding content that I had relied on in through my Facebook Newsfeed and Google Reader, and making a few solid Twitter lists aggregating it all (functioning similar to an RSS folder in Reader).  In an ideal world Flipboard would let me have a top-level "board" for each twitter list, but I can't seem to make that happen.  I have to click on my "Twitter" board, then the drop down, then "your lists", then the list I want -- this is annoying.  Any recommendations for an iOS Twitter client that will let me access my lists easily and show me pretty stuff from the links like Flipboard?  Hootsuite looks functional but not beautiful, I want something that previews links automatically like Flipboard.

I've gotten really used to using my Facebook Newsfeed as my default "reader" for most of my news -- any ideas on how I can clean up my Newsfeed to only show my friends now that I have all this on Twitter without having to "dislike" each of hundreds of pages?
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 01:07:24 pm »
In an ideal world Flipboard would let me have a top-level "board" for each twitter list, but I can't seem to make that happen. 

You can do that in the Android app (phone and tablet).

Click on the magnifying glass, then accounts, then Twitter.

Under the Twitter Account, there should be an option for lists.  Find the lists you want and then hit the + sign next to it. 

That will put your Twitter Lists on your Flipboard.  If you want to move it to the front page, Tap and hold and move it to your first page.

Lists are the only way I can use Twitter.  Especially with time shifting sports.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 01:19:45 pm »
Any recommendations for an iOS Twitter client that will let me access my lists easily and show me pretty stuff from the links like Flipboard?  Hootsuite looks functional but not beautiful, I want something that previews links automatically like Flipboard.

You know I don't own a single iOS device, but will grab the lady friends iPad Mini this weekend and see what's available.

I use Plume for it's beautiful widget and it's 3 column tablet interface, which can incorporate lists, and didn't realize until today that it isn't available on iOS.  Plume will preview images and videos, but won't preview links, but it has a built in browser so if you tap the tweet, it will preview the link in 2/3 of the screen - I'll see if I can screen shot it for you as it's tough to explain.  Don't know that I've seen one that previews a link in the time line though.

http://www.myplume.com/
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 01:27:39 pm »
I've gotten really used to using my Facebook Newsfeed as my default "reader" for most of my news -- any ideas on how I can clean up my Newsfeed to only show my friends now that I have all this on Twitter without having to "dislike" each of hundreds of pages?

I have absolutely no inside knowledge into Facebook's algorithm's and have basically stopped using it very often because I never have the same experience.

Obviously, they have shareholders now and are trying to make money...

I have ranked a few people and companies based on priority but gave up on that when I didn't see much change, especially with the companies.

Can't help you here.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 01:34:52 pm »
it has a built in browser so if you tap the tweet, it will preview the link in 2/3 of the screen - I'll see if I can screen shot it for you as it's tough to explain. 

Normally, that's 3 columns of tweets (Timeline, Mentions, DM's or you can change them to lists), but if you tap a tweet that has a link, that's what it looks like.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 02:10:46 pm »

I have absolutely no inside knowledge into Facebook's algorithm's and have basically stopped using it very often because I never have the same experience.

Obviously, they have shareholders now and are trying to make money...

I have ranked a few people and companies based on priority but gave up on that when I didn't see much change, especially with the companies.

Can't help you here.

yeah, it's kind of silly to try to become a power user of a service that so actively tries to dissuade power users.
(o|o)