Author Topic: Times New Viking  (Read 2008 times)

nkotb

Times New Viking
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:04:00 am »
Anyone else make it besides BookerT and I?  

Pretty killer show from TNV.  This was my first time seeing them, and I wasn't sure how the lo-fi sound of their records would translate.  Amazingly, they sounded almost exactly the same, which IMO, was a great thing.  Pretty short set (I'm wondering if the schedule running almost 40 minutes late was a cause), but definitely work it.  Those guys are LOUD.

Titus Andronicus was actually worse than I was expecting.  Why no one has called foul on this Pitchfork-approved band being no more than an emo band made cool is beyond me.  If I had heard this guys 10-15 years ago, I might have thought it was fun...but then again, probably not.  Yuck.

BookerT

Re: Times New Viking
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:26:00 am »
WHAT? i can't hear you.

yes, TNV were great. obviously. they can do no wrong in my eyes. they definitely win the award for Most Unintelligible Banter From Overcaffeinated Drummer, too. the guitarist can actually play, which is not always easy to hear on the records. very loud, a little messy, short -- the way it should be.

i stuck it out for about 3 songs of titus before i had to seek refuge upstairs. their singer/yelper/whatever is just horrible.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:34:00 am »
this has nothing to do with TNV. but since i know nkotb will be checking on on this thread, i wanted to thank him.

dear nkotb,
 i love al's steakhouse. i don't even like steak sandwiches that much, but it is awesome and i probably wouldn't have gone there without your suggestion. i'll be going there for dinner tonight and bringing mr. p for his first sandwich there. even though it makes me want to take a nap after eating it.

- miss p.
nothx

nkotb

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:39:00 am »
The only thing better than seeing TNV or eating an Al's cheesesteak would be eating an Al's cheesesteak while seeing TNV.

Check your PM's in a few minutes...

Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  this has nothing to do with TNV. but since i know nkotb will be checking on on this thread, i wanted to thank him.

dear nkotb,
 i love al's. i don't even like steak sandwiches that much, but it is awesome. i'll be going there for dinner tonight and bringing my boy for his first taste of it. even though it makes me want to take a nap after eating it.

- miss p.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 10:47:00 am »
I did not make it, but I'll be checking them out at Siren Fest!   :D
(_|_)

nkotb

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »
Photos here.

P.S. I only caught on song of True Womanhood's, and it was bogus as shit.

BookerT

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  Photos here.

P.S. I only caught on song of True Womanhood's, and it was bogus as shit.
beth is so dreamy...

babystew

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »
So was Pitchfork's photograph the guy who felt it was necessary to stand right at the stage for the entire show with his large camera raised in the air blocking people behind him?  I'm guessing yes.

nkotb

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »
I think he's just a freelancer, but I'm guess yes as well.  I didn't mind it when he was blocking Titus's ugly mugs...

Originally posted by rogo2000:
  So was Pitchfork's photograph the guy who felt it was necessary to stand right at the stage for the entire show with his large camera raised in the air blocking people behind him?  I'm guessing yes.

earlx

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »
Times New Viking were great.  I think they actually sounded much better than their record.  The guitarist reminded me of a more proficient Kurt Cobain circa "Bleach."  I'd love to hear them recorded in a professional studio by a good producer.

I liked Titus Andronicus.  The singer's voice was grating at times but they had moments of brilliance.  I bought the record which has four really good songs on it.  It reminds me of Shane MacGowan fronting The Clash, with the occasional Oi! chorus thrown in for good measure.

earlx

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »
  The only thing better than seeing TNV or eating an Al's cheesesteak would be eating an Al's cheesesteak while seeing TNV.

Check your PM's in a few minutes...

Originally posted by miss pretentious:

dear nkotb,
 i love al's. i don't even like steak sandwiches that much, but it is awesome. i'll be going there for dinner tonight and bringing my boy for his first taste of it. even though it makes me want to take a nap after eating it.

- miss p.
[/b]
Where is Al's?  Is it really a cheesesteak or is it a Philly Cheese Steak or, God forbid, a steak and cheese?

babystew

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »
Is this the Al's in Arlington you're talking about?

I must have had the wrong sandwich there.

nkotb

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »
Al's Steakhouse

Originally posted by earlx:
  Where is Al's?  Is it really a cheesesteak or is it a Philly Cheese Steak or, God forbid, a steak and cheese?

earlx

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »
  Al's Steakhouse

Originally posted by earlx:

[/b]
Thanks for the link.  I'll give it a shot next time I'm in Virginia.

manimtired

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »
i actually like the titus album but i could see how the singing could grate on you after a while..