Author Topic: 930 Club - Best Big Room in the USA (Rolling Stone)  (Read 5914 times)

gavroche

Re: 930 Club - Best Big Room in the USA (Rolling Stone)
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 02:40:19 pm »
but do we agree with Rolling Stone, much as it pains us, or not?

I've been to a bunch of the rooms on that list and I'd take the 9:30 club any day.   

First of all, it remains an all ages venue.  I cannot express how great it was to be able to go to shows when I was 14 and 15 and to see music that I liked and how sad I was when I moved away for college and I wasn't old enough to see live music anymore.  I'm really glad that DC remains largely an all ages town; I think it really kept me out of trouble as a kid.

As for what I want now, the sound at the club is really excellent.  They continue to bring interesting acts that I want to see and big acts like Paul Simon come to the club when they want to play a rare club gig.  The prices remain largely reasonable even as the cost of live music has exploded on the high end.

It isn't the dive on F street that I frequented as a kid, but it has matured as I have.  It is tops for me, no doubt.     

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:42:58 pm by gavroche »

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 05:24:16 pm »
Taibbi is awesome.

It is too bad that they aren't more relevant, their political reporting is great these days.
احمد

slappy

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 12:12:59 pm »
MPP is the 4th best shed.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-best-amphitheaters-in-america-20130620/merriweather-post-pavilion-columbia-maryland-19691231

I'd have Wolftrap in the top 10 but looking at the list of voters, I doubt very few have ever played there. I don't think any of them should be in the same category as Red Rocks and the Gorge.