Author Topic: F1 wants to be....just like NASCAR?  (Read 4487 times)

vansmack

F1 wants to be....just like NASCAR?
« on: February 20, 2004, 08:48:00 pm »
McLaren chief Ron Dennis doesn't understand why NASCAR is so popular in America.

Reuters

LONDON -- McLaren boss Ron Dennis is no fan of NASCAR, with its lines of growling stock cars rumbling bumper-to-bumper around ovals for hours on end.

"You know one single thing that really, really upsets me?," he said last month when the talk turned to Formula One's commercial future.

"It's every time that I read about NASCAR. It's just amazing. I mean they are just full up. Every race is full up, they've got more income, more television revenue and it's boring as hell.

"That machine is working and yet we've got a much better show," he added.

Sunday's Daytona 500, the 'Great American Race', will have given him more to chew on.

Set aside the stereotypes of beer-swigging, good ol'boys revving their Chevys. NASCAR is what Formula One, despite its mass appeal elsewhere, can only dream of being in America. Just look at the figures:

Some 200,000 fans bursting with brand loyalty packed the Speedway on Sunday.

That was a drop in the ocean compared to the 75 million Americans who follow a series that, while remaining true to its southern roots, has a $2.4 billion television deal and ratings second only to the NFL.

Seventeen of the 20 largest sporting events in America are NASCAR-run and when the president of the United States turns up, as George Bush did on Sunday, you know it's big.

It could teach Formula One a thing or two.

"If something is as successful as that then you are a fool if you don't go and try and understand what the ingredients are," said Dennis, who intends to attend some NASCAR races with McLaren managing director Martin Whitmarsh to see for themselves.

"Maybe we can bring some of them to our team. I think we'll go and be pretty dismissive of the technology but I don't think we'll be dismissive of all the things they do and how they've managed to ramp it into such a success."

BIG FIGURES

Formula One, with just one race a year in the United States and no American team or drivers, may have the glamour but it remains a mystery to many locals.

Although 200,000 turned up to watch Formula One at Indianapolis in 2000, it is only 13 years since an ostrich race in Phoenix drew a bigger crowd than the U.S. grand prix in another part of town.

Ferrari's six times world champion Michael Schumacher, unable to escape the fans' attention in Europe, checked in to his Indianapolis hotel last year without a flicker of recognition from the receptionist.

Formula One would love a slice of NASCAR's sponsorship -- prestige multinational household-name brands ranging from breakfast cereals to fast food, confectionary and underwear.

NASCAR is also proof that motorsport does not need cigarettes to thrive.

Some in Formula One, with half the 10 teams including McLaren and Ferrari heavily sponsored by tobacco money, think that is another lesson to be learnt.

"We don't want Formula One to be known around the world as a tobacco-driven industry. That is bad for the non-tobacco teams," says Frank Williams, whose team ditched all cigarette sponsorship in 2000 after years of dependance.

Entertaining the fans and giving them the value for money is another issue that must be addressed by a sport that is as exclusive as NASCAR is inclusive.

However that can only happen once the banks that control Formula One's commercial rights and the carmakers have agreed a deal mapping out the sport's long-term strategy.

"The truth is that every single team... wants Formula One to be bigger by having more things at the circuit, more things to entertain the public," said Dennis.

"We have talked about the whole Formula One village which isn't just about merchandise, it's about simulators and having the drivers attending.

"It's about a much bigger circus-oriented approach.

"The problem is that 75 percent of the commercial aspects are owned by banks who do not want to put any money in whatsoever and are only looking for a way to get their money out," added Dennis.
27>34

Space Freely

Re: F1 wants to be....just like NASCAR?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:01:43 pm »
I generally agree that NASCAR on tv is pretty boring. But nothing in F1 can beat the last lap of this year's Daytona 500.

hutch

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 06:39:42 pm »
I generally agree that NASCAR on tv is pretty boring. But nothing in F1 can beat the last lap of this year's Daytona 500.

ok so today they raced around an oval like 200 times for like hours and then the difference was .010 second...the very definition of excitement...not.... it reminds me of people who say American Football is so exciting... do they realize that for every 3 hours they watch 2 hours at least are commercials, refs trying to  make sense of the 2233 rules, or time between plays?? yeah, thats exciting....

most Americans didn't grow up watching Formula One so I don't think they are really in a position to comment about its merits...these two types of racing are completely different.. For me personally, in the 1980s-1990s Formula One was unbelievable...I know many who feel that way... but if you didn't see guys like Piquet, Prost, Senna, Mansell and scores of others week in week out on classic courses all over the world (Monza, HOckenheim, Silverstone, yes even Monaco was fun once a year, etc..)... now I do think over the past decade or so Formula 1 has taken a step back.. its not that fun to watch the same guy win 5 championships in a row.

I do have to say I find NASCAR just gross... I happened to be changing channels after it was over and some guy who came in fourth (Harvick?) was being interviewed and for about a minute all he was doing was reeling off names of sponsors.. like 50! gross..

The US has a way of taking beautiful games and turning them into sheer garbage.....A few years ago I was watching the Rugby World Cup. .. now that was exciting..... and you know what? they are not trying to hurt each other..its actually a SPORT unlike the NFL where they are all giving each other dementia

hutch

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 06:47:08 pm »
what a stupid article by the way... there is a whole world out there...and NASCAR has "prestige brands"???

yeah, when I think NASCAR I think prestige..

now i am angry.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:49:33 pm by hutch »

walk,on,by

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 07:07:13 pm »
you clearly, need to get more fun out of life.  don't take me wrong, most things in life are either fun and make you happy, or are stupid and make you upset . . . but really when you think about it, when you just force yourself to do something or watch something or listen to something or be apart of something that you normally would not do, with your negative emotional response regarding it, you find that thing which is fun, which makes you happy for that moment with a smile to be alive, and you realize that everything in life does lead to something better when you allow it to.

like nascar.  it sucks, and it is boring.  good god, lord help me.  and then you go to one live . . . and you have a really great time experiencing something like that, with the drinking, and that noise up close, and the people you see and the food, and the seats, and the everything.  then you look at it with an altered eye.  the end,

Space Freely

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 07:59:06 pm »
As I said, I generally think NASCAR on tv is boring.

We had the last third of the race on while we played a board game (Milton Bradley's Daytona 500, my daughter got her first win, she was so excited!) It made for good background tv. However, once those last 10 laps hit and there were 20 cars within one second of each other (do you get that in F1...which yes, I watched growing up as much as i could given the limited broadcast of it her in the States...I think not), that was exciting.

I agree with walkonby...seeing a NASCAR race in person is a whole other ball of wax. Especially at a smaller track like Richmond or Martinsville. The roar of 40+ engines, the people watching, groups of rednecks flipping different drivers the bird, bring your own canned beer and food...so much better than tv.

bob72

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 08:17:48 pm »
like nascar.  it sucks, and it is boring.  good god, lord help me.  and then you go to one live . . . and you have a really great time experiencing something like that, with the drinking, and that noise up close, and the people you see and the food, and the seats, and the everything.  then you look at it with an altered eye.  the end,
i tried this with Jimmy Buffet once. Worst. Night. Ever.
PENIS

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 08:22:05 pm »
I will give Rhett credit, I saw the replay of that last lap and that was crazy. I don't hate race car driving; growing up in the Midwest I have a great respect for Indy car/open wheel.

That said, an exciting final 30 seconds does not make an entire 4 hour event interesting. But yeah, that was an imminently replay-able ending.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 11:38:55 pm »
Bob72 nailed it..

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 11:56:32 am »