Author Topic: Disappointed by Wolf Parade show  (Read 1427 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Disappointed by Wolf Parade show
« on: February 23, 2020, 12:42:38 pm »
Hard for me to say this since I've been a fan since 2006 and have always considered them to be in my top 3 band category, but I left the Wolf Parade concert last night disappointed. It was my fifth time seeing them. Maybe it's just me realizing that the do not have the same impact on me when they did earlier in the band's career, but it seems like this is the new "adult contemporary" Wolf Parade and their music is simply not going to be as compelling as it used to be.

They're still incredibly talented musicians and decent people, but they lack the creativity, the quirkiness, the energy and the enthusiasm from earlier in the band's history. They played probably the slowest I'll Believe in Anything last night. They played Dinner Bells to finish the night, and I absolutely hate that song live. So depressing to hear as a show closer. Play something rocking and with high energy, like say This Heart's On Fire (which they didn't play) or Kissing the Beehive, the band's all time best song (didn't play that either). Spencer seems to refuse to sing to the notes anymore. I know this has always been his thing, but he was all over the place last night.

They aren't even playing Expo 86 songs on this tour. What? Many fans do not consider it to be one of their favorite albums but there are some kick ass songs on there (Ghost Pressure, Palm Road, What did my lover say, etc). They only other rare cuts they played was Fine Young Cannibals and Disco Sheets.

Maybe the problem is that I have found Dan and Devojka's Operators work to be MUCH more compelling and interesting than this latest version of Wolf Parade. Handsome Furs' Sound Kapital and the Operators albums and EP have been awesome to listen to and their live shows are amazing. Spencer seemed to be going through the motions with many of the songs last night. I couldn't even tell you what albums he has put out solo-wise. I don't know, seems like Spencer has changed. The band has clearly changed, as all do.

Being a trio really takes away from their live show, especially now that they are older. Yes, they don't "need" a bassist because Spencer plays keyboards, but having a "full time" bass player really adds to their sound. Dante was good and he had great music chops when he joined the band. Will they not even try to replace him? I'm not a musician, but does having a full time bass player allow the keyboardist more room and flexibility instead of focusing on keeping the rhythm with the bass notes? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

The last two albums they have put out have been good, but not compelling, other than a handful of songs. Disappointing. I wish they would find that spark or whatever. Dan clearly has it with his solo work. But I don't see that with the alternative rock music vessel known as 2020's Wolf Parade.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:45:39 pm by Thousand Made-Up Loves »

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Disappointed by Wolf Parade show
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 02:58:30 pm »
These Russian bots are intolerable.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 04:27:55 pm »
Hard for me to say this since I've been a fan since 2006 and have always considered them to be in my top 3 band category, but I left the Wolf Parade concert last night disappointed. It was my fifth time seeing them. Maybe it's just me realizing that the do not have the same impact on me when they did earlier in the band's career, but it seems like this is the new "adult contemporary" Wolf Parade and their music is simply not going to be as compelling as it used to be.

They're still incredibly talented musicians and decent people, but they lack the creativity, the quirkiness, the energy and the enthusiasm from earlier in the band's history. They played probably the slowest I'll Believe in Anything last night. They played Dinner Bells to finish the night, and I absolutely hate that song live. So depressing to hear as a show closer. Play something rocking and with high energy, like say This Heart's On Fire (which they didn't play) or Kissing the Beehive, the band's all time best song (didn't play that either). Spencer seems to refuse to sing to the notes anymore. I know this has always been his thing, but he was all over the place last night.

They aren't even playing Expo 86 songs on this tour. What? Many fans do not consider it to be one of their favorite albums but there are some kick ass songs on there (Ghost Pressure, Palm Road, What did my lover say, etc). They only other rare cuts they played was Fine Young Cannibals and Disco Sheets.

Maybe the problem is that I have found Dan and Devojka's Operators work to be MUCH more compelling and interesting than this latest version of Wolf Parade. Handsome Furs' Sound Kapital and the Operators albums and EP have been awesome to listen to and their live shows are amazing. Spencer seemed to be going through the motions with many of the songs last night. I couldn't even tell you what albums he has put out solo-wise. I don't know, seems like Spencer has changed. The band has clearly changed, as all do.

Being a trio really takes away from their live show, especially now that they are older. Yes, they don't "need" a bassist because Spencer plays keyboards, but having a "full time" bass player really adds to their sound. Dante was good and he had great music chops when he joined the band. Will they not even try to replace him? I'm not a musician, but does having a full time bass player allow the keyboardist more room and flexibility instead of focusing on keeping the rhythm with the bass notes? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

The last two albums they have put out have been good, but not compelling, other than a handful of songs. Disappointing. I wish they would find that spark or whatever. Dan clearly has it with his solo work. But I don't see that with the alternative rock music vessel known as 2020's Wolf Parade.

Your concerns are noted. Thank you for your feedback.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 02:24:27 am »
These Russian bots are intolerable.

A-.  solid comment, made me guffaw.  would recommend to a friend.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 10:52:16 am »
sorry man!  I didn't end up going because I thought $30 is expensive for a 15 song set (checked setlists from prior shows before the show)....plus I was lazy after a night of Refused at the same venue.

They were pretty incredible the last time I saw them at the Ottobar (2018) but the new album wasn't out then.
(_|_)