Author Topic: The Dears at Fletchers Wed Night  (Read 3401 times)

xcanuck

The Dears at Fletchers Wed Night
« on: June 14, 2005, 11:54:00 am »
So...who's going? Friends who saw them in Boston last night raved about the show. Fletchers is so freaking small! It'll be like seeing the band in your bathroom. Should be good (if we can find parking!).

Sonick - isn't this in your backyard? No excuses!  :)

root

Re: The Dears at Fletchers Wed Night
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 02:14:00 pm »
i'll most likely be in da hizzy!

K8teebug

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 02:18:00 pm »
Just a tip....there's 4 dollar (all night) parking in a garage on Caroline Street.  If you're coming from 95, take a right onto president street, go all the way to the end (I think that's fleet street), take a left, take a right after the whole foods, take a left on Aliceanna, and then a right onto south caroline street.  the parking garage is there on the left.  (sorry I don't know all the street names).

I park there when I can't find street parking.  

Also, Friends, up the street from Fletchers has some of the best food in b'more and one of the best jukeboxes.

xcanuck

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 02:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
  Just a tip....there's 4 dollar (all night) parking in a garage on Caroline Street.  
Nice! Thanks for the tip.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 02:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:

Sonick - isn't this in your backyard? No excuses!   :)  
2 blocks from my work. K8tee is right on the parking garage tip(thats where my car sits right this very moment).

i should be there maybe, really depends, I may only have money for one show this week, and that show will be TSOOL at Rams Head on Monday.

I'll decide tomorrow.  I wanna see the Shout out louds.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 09:17:00 am »
i wouldn't be so sure that parking is $4.  Cirque du Sole is going on and most parking garages in the area have raised their rates to $15 and its next to impossible to find parking in fells point when a cirque show is going on.

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 09:40:00 am »
Originally posted by Got Haggis?:
  i wouldn't be so sure that parking is $4.  Cirque du Sole is going on and most parking garages in the area have raised their rates to $15 and its next to impossible to find parking in fells point when a cirque show is going on.
you are very correct. parking is definitely $15 in those garages right now. good call.

if you go past fletchers and turn left on Broadway you can park for free (past Fleet)

also, there are "Pay to Park" meters in most of Fells and on a Wed night you shouldnt have a trouble parking at one of those ($1 an hour). even with Jerk Du Soleil.

wxdude

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 01:59:00 pm »
Saw the show in Philly last night, and it was great!  The Dears were fantastic, really blew me away.  The CD is very good, but their live show is even better.  The Shout Out Louds were very good too.  I also recommend getting there early to catch Marjorie Fair.  I'd be curious to see qhat the turnout is for this.  I think there were maybe 100 people, if that at the show in Philadelphia. I'd be going tonight if I didn't have to work.  :(

frostytheswami

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 01:19:00 am »
What a great show...one of the best I've seen at Fletcher's. A shame they couldn't have played Ram's Head -- their show definitely deserved a larger venue. Missed Marjorie Fair, but the Shout Out Louds were really good too. I was surprised how many songs of theirs I've heard before.

Originally posted by wxdude:
   I think there were maybe 100 people, if that at the show in Philadelphia.
According to the Dears' lead singer, someone got shot at Northsix the night before  :eek:

K8teebug

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 07:43:00 am »
Cirque is over June 19th, so if the show is after that, the garage should be 4 bucks.  I'll be so happy when that show leaves town.  I can never find parking in fells when it's in b'more.....ugh.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 08:14:00 am »
boy do i wish i was working from home still, would have gone up to see this one   :confused:
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 08:16:00 am »
Originally posted by The Enchanting Wizard of -isms:
  What a great show...one of the best I've seen at Fletcher's. A shame they couldn't have played Ram's Head -- their show definitely deserved a larger venue. Missed Marjorie Fair, but the Shout Out Louds were really good too. I was surprised how many songs of theirs I've heard before.

Originally posted by wxdude:
   I think there were maybe 100 people, if that at the show in Philadelphia.
According to the Dears' lead singer, someone got shot at Northsix the night before   :roll:  

and thats TSOOL on Monday.

xcanuck

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 10:02:00 am »
I thought Marjorie Fair were....inoffensive. Let's just leave it at that. Shout Out Louds were ALOT better, though I'm still trying to figure out what the keyboardist added to the band other than dubious eye candy. The music really reminded me of The Cure, but I liked it anyways.

The Dears rocked my f-ing socks off. They're talented musicians and Murray's voice is great (if you like that Morrisey kinda thing). I have to admit, they did look a little bored. Maybe that's what happens when you're used to playing venues 10 times the size of Fletchers. I was also hoping to hear the extended version of Pinned Together, Falling Apart (which is on the live CD). Alas, we just got the studio version. But still great.

For those that are interested in this kind of thing, here's the setlist as posted on the stage:

U+I
 Plot
 Defenders
 Die Die Die
 Have It
 Mountains
 Hollywood
 2ieme
 Pinned
 Heartless

root

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 11:25:00 am »
yeah the show was tits! i missed the other bands, but the Dears won me over fo' real!!!

it was great to be able to see them in such an intimate venue.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 12:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:
 the Shout Out Louds are pretty fun too.
it's good to hear they went over well ... i really liked them when they opened for the futureheads, but popular consensus on here was a big "eh" ... i could see them breaking big into the indie scene, they're getting a buzz built up around them ...
(o|o)