Author Topic: Redemption song video-Joe Strummer post  (Read 1640 times)

evilizac

Redemption song video-Joe Strummer post
« on: January 16, 2004, 04:19:00 am »
Man... I've watched the redemption song video off of the epitaph website like umpteen times. Idon't know. It still hurts losing a hero.
 I'll admit the song, alone om the CD doesn't live to my expectations of Joe Strummer but the video gets me everytime. Always to the verge of tears, the song is short, it's it is moving, to me.
 I was just wondering what people think.
 Of Joe, of The Clash, of the song, the video, album, Mescaleros, anything.
    As I write I've had a few drinks, it's late I'm tired and I had an eventful night. To me most everything in my life somehow cmes back, relates to or at least is eased away by Joe Strummer and the music he's helped to create. I hope I'm not being to biased to be related to but I'd like to hear any opinion on anything.
     People are great I just hope there's time left for them.
 Have fun in life, pick causes and don't be too damn serious
 signed:
 iZAC  
 P.S. did I mention I'm drunk and a little morose so please don't mind the spelling I'm trying to stare down the keyboard. Also hey I'm from Hawaii so... you Haoles really need to lighten up. It's too cold already.
WHAT?

markie

Re: Redemption song video-Joe Strummer post
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 11:04:00 am »
Hello, evilzac.....

I saw the video on MTV2 one night. It brought a tear to my eye too. Personally I really like the song, I hate the version with Johnny Cash though. So I can watch on the epitaph site? Why not post a link?

As for Strrtcore, I dont buy into it being his best solo album at all. I have a real soft spot for Rock art and the X-ray style.....

Do you have all the albums? Even Earthquake Weather?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 11:48:00 am »
Thanks for steering me to that video evilzak.

Here's a  link to a page with the video.

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 01:38:00 pm »
That brought a tear to my eye and really bummed me out at 9:30 on a Friday morning.  You have to be something special to do that....

RIP Joe, even a year later.
27>34

mankie

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 02:17:00 pm »
Can't explain why, but Joe's death hit me pretty hard too.....probably because I respected him on a deeper level than just a "he rawks" kind of thing. One example that comes to mind is while he was singing with the Pogues and they asked him to become the singer permanently. His response was something like, "We're not the Pogues, Shane MacGowan is the Pogues, without Shane there is no Pogues" (Excuse the paraphrasing but that was the gist of it) That shows what a class individual he was.

Redemption song on the streetcore album is incredible and gives me goosebumps whenever I hear it...haven't seen the video.

Bags

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 02:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  Can't explain why, but Joe's death hit me pretty hard too.....probably because I respected him on a deeper level than just a "he rawks" kind of thing. One example that comes to mind is while he was singing with the Pogues and they asked him to become the singer permanently. His response was something like, "We're not the Pogues, Shane MacGowan is the Pogues, without Shane there is no Pogues" (Excuse the paraphrasing but that was the gist of it) That shows what a class individual he was.

Mank, I wrote about this right after he died, I think.  That's when I earned real, deep respect for him.  I saw him play with the Pogues in NYC during one of Shane's rehab stints, and he was so classy and giving.  Whenever he wasn't singing, he walked around to the back of the stage and gave the limelight to the rest of the band.  It was so amazing -- not a rock star move, but a musician move, one who really respected his fellow musicians and them as a band.