Author Topic: I'm a Sex Pistol, Get me out of here!  (Read 2124 times)

ratioci nation

Re: I'm a Sex Pistol, Get me out of here!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 01:34:00 pm »
was there ever any doubt that the punk movement was about style over substance *ducks*

mankie

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 01:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
  was there ever any doubt that the punk movement was about style over substance *ducks*
From the book I'm reading at the moment, NO!

markie

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 01:49:00 pm »
And if it had style, well that is something modern music lacks. Interpol are pansies in suits for christsakes. Give me Vivienne Westwood and Jamie Reid anyday.

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 04:23:00 pm »
If you'd have asked me 10-15 years ago if I thought Johnny would be the first to do something like this, I'd have said no way.

But in the last 5 years he's changed so much that there's no doubt in my mind that he'd be the first punk to do a reality TV show that has nothing to do with punk music.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 04:40:00 pm »
Yeah, I'm not surprised at all.  He's a bastard who toes the line (ie, Rhino can't have any pistols for compilations), but he's always been a crass sell out, especially when he sees the selling out as a way to shock.  And I mean that in a fairly positive way -- he's punk by not letting any opinions phase him.

bungle bud

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 06:59:00 pm »
jordon is going to be there so any hetro guy would go.

tooms

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 07:46:00 pm »
of course, the thing is that the Pistols were a marketing tool also created, or at least largely sold, by Malcolm McLaren.  so this really isn't that inconsistent when you think of it that way.

Having said that, the Pistols kicked ass at 930 club this summer.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 10:51:00 am »
"When the legends die. . .oh well, this is how White Sox fans must have felt when they found out Shoeless Joe Jackson threw the world series.

There??s a very funny part in Lydon??s excellent autobiography in which he mocks Siouxsie Sue for the bourgeoise sin of coveting a washing machine. . .I can now imagine the bloated Siouxsie in front of her telly laughing at the 47 year old Johnny Rotten as he plays the punk clown in the same sort of corporate pre-fab media vomit that he used to sneer at.  It will be hard to take old Johnny seriously anymore when he tries to tackle such heavyweight reality show icons as Kelly Osbourne:

??You need to see the rich kids, how they get it wrong: Kelly Osbourne, Kelly Osbourne, Kelly Osbourne. (laughing) Poor girl! Her big rebel statement is ??I'm a punk!?? (loud laughter) Well sorry missus, but you're not. You're fat, that's all. (laughing) You're a fatty. She's a tub o' lard. (laughing) Cheers.?

But how could have Lydon ended up any other way than as a sell-out?  It??s damn tricky playing the iconoclast for a full lifetime. . .Certainly Lydon couldn??t have killed himself, like Cobain. . .then it would have seemed like he had cared, instead of having been disgusted. . .about the only way Lydon could have played his part to the very end was if he had ended up like Rimbaud. . .he should have disappeared after the Winterland concert. . .toiled in anonymity far from Western eyes. . .only to return years later on his deathbed. . .oblivious to his own legacy.  

About the only way Lydon can redeem himself now is if he shoots Tony Blair. . . "

-----

May the SOURCE be with you...

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 11:04:00 am »
Oh, that's classic.  He's gonna make Puck from "The Real World" look like a dream date.  I'm not all that surprised though.  Like someone said earlier, the Sex Pistols were nothing but a product since day one.

Sir HC

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 11:07:00 am »
Funny that they use Tony Wilson as the main quoter.  Love 24 hour party people, and I agree, see what happens and then we can decide if he did it punk or not.

Either way, the Pistols did rock the 9:30 last year.

markie

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 11:07:00 am »
Originally posted by Skeeter:
  nothing but a product since day one.
But all music you buy or pay to see is a product, dont you get it?

sonickteam2

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 11:13:00 am »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

But all music you buy or pay to see is a product, dont you get it? [/b]
there is sort of a difference.  Some bands are pretty much put together to make money and sell records, while other bands happed upon it, and what they were doing was seen to make money.

ie, a lot of pop music is well recognized for labels and such putting together talented people to make a band.

whereas, say, Metallica was a band for like 10 years before they got the success on MTV and the radio.

Ozzy Osbourne is a "product" now, but i dont believe thats how it began.

mankie

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 11:29:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by mark e smith:

But all music you buy or pay to see is a product, dont you get it? [/b]
there is sort of a difference.  Some bands are pretty much put together to make money and sell records, while other bands happed upon it, and what they were doing was seen to make money.

ie, a lot of pop music is well recognized for labels and such putting together talented people to make a band.

whereas, say, Metallica was a band for like 10 years before they got the success on MTV and the radio.

Ozzy Osbourne is a "product" now, but i dont believe thats how it began. [/b]
So what your saying is the Sex Pistols were the original boy band.

markie

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2004, 11:32:00 am »
Originally posted by mankie:
  So what your saying is the Sex Pistols were the original boy band.
That was the beatles, wasnt it? Maybe the Monkees.

So Sonick, what you are saying is something that is planned and designed isnt as good as something that happens almost at random? Oh ok, I get it now.  :roll: