Author Topic: Bloc Party  (Read 9424 times)

life_is_punk_rock

Re: Bloc Party
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2005, 09:43:00 pm »
I didn't see the show, but I love Bloc Party. My mum actually got me into them   :D  The record is well good, and the sound is really intersting.

Am I the only one that thinks they sound a lot like The Cure?

AlanOnymous

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2005, 12:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by life_is_punk_rock:
  I didn't see the show, but I love Bloc Party. My mum actually got me into them    :D   The record is well good, and the sound is really intersting.

I have a friend who makes that argument.

Bags

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2005, 08:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by joz:
  the scrawny drummer is pretty talented (i had to giggle that he played with his shirt off)
That guy cracked me up -- he was completely a character out of Napoleon Dynamite, even with his barely-there mustache (with the look of a guy who can't really grow a mustache, but does anyway, and it's way too fuzzy...)

i was also annoyed that they came on 25 minutes late. had they come on when they were scheduled, i coulda made it home for the end of the pistons/spurs game.
First off, the set times that the club lists are a proposed schedule, not an actual, enforceable timeline.  It's a VERY helpful tool to help with some planning, but it is far from definitive.  Band came on at 10:19 -- Eddie had said in the FAQ section that they'd probably come on at 10:15 anyway, so to me it was a tightly run show.

Bags

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2005, 08:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Tom Servo:
  I tried to get into DC9 after the Bloc Party set, but they weren't letting anyone else upstairs.  No luck on the double show.
That's what I would have thought...there was a line almost up to the corner at 10:00...

Bags

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2005, 08:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by han:
  the crowd at the black cat was more into it, but this goes for almost all shows.
Dont' forget that was a Saturday show, makes a huge difference.

Bags

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2005, 08:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by AlanOnymous:

Originally posted by life_is_punk_rock:
I have a friend who makes that argument. [/b]
Absolutely...there's one song that sounds like it came from "Boys Don't Cry".

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2005, 11:47:00 am »
i was up in front, on the barrier right in front of Gordon. I received a setlist from him at the end of the show, which some girl nearly knocked me over for. I must say, this was one of my worst concert experiences. I got yelled at several times by 'girls' who swore i pushed their way in front of them. which was absolutely ridiculous -since I got there before them. on top of it, im only 5'1" so realistically, everyone can see over me. i did meet a guy from NPR who was pretty cool! i was most surprised the girls behind me yelled at kele to take his shirt off. they were even making cat-calls (thinking they were oh-so-funny) during the opening bands.

thought the engineers put on a great performance. while i wasnt impressed with their CD, live they sounded awesome. bloc party put on a much better show at the Black Cat. Felt some of the energy was just not there. had heard about their previous show in NYC which there were 2 encores, and apparently Kele and Matt did a bit of crowdsurfing. Guess that was a bit too much to hope for. And mostly, the crowd just didnt seem as into it as they were at the Black Cat. The front was quite dead.

and i must say, i have never felt so old. Everyone around me was under 21.
HeyLa

sonickteam2

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2005, 12:53:00 pm »
Aww yeah! heard some Bloc Party last night on the 4400! they were playing "banquet" at some crazy drunken frat party.