Author Topic: The Who VH1 Rock Honors  (Read 2034 times)

bearman🐻

The Who VH1 Rock Honors
« on: July 17, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »
Just watched the Foo Fighters shred through "Young Man Blues" and now I'm watching them play "Bargain" with Gaz from Supergrass and his brother on keyboards. Pretty fantastic stuff. I can't wait to see what Pearl Jam and the Flaming Lips will do.

serpent boy

Re: The Who VH1 Rock Honors
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »
Incubus didn't sound half bad.

I'm really looking forward to the Pearl Jam set.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »
The Flaming Lips are doing a great job with this Tommy medley...I agree, Incubus didn't suck. But it was tough for them to go on after the Foo Fighters. Pearl Jam is going to do Baba I bet. Or maybe something from Quadrophenia. I would have loved to see the Flaming Lips do "A Quick One While He's Away".

serpent boy

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »
Holy crap. Pearl Jam killed it. "The Real Me" needs to be on all their setlists from now on.

bearman🐻

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »
Sad thing is the Who is going to suck compared to everyone else. The Flaming Lips were great too!

conorh98

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:07:00 pm »
Why the hell did they close with Tea & Theatre??? Exremely awkward moment between Pete and Roger right before that too. Reminded me of Obama's "you're likeable enough, Hillary" remark.  I thought the show had highs and lows, but was better than it should have been. Whoever said they never sold out should have been shot though.  Gotta admit that Adam Sandler did a great tribute.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »
Reactions:

1. Seriously, the Who did sell out.  Have you ever seen an episode of CSI?

2. I loved how every band seemed to genuinely enjoy playing at this thing.  Wayne Coyne tends to look that way all the time, but the Flaming Lips killed that Tommy medley.  Kliph kicking the drums over was amazing.  And Incubus was surprisingly good.

3. Pearl Jam playing Love Reign O'er Me was incredible.  Eddie Vedder hit all of those screams perfectly. WOWOW

4.  I kind of like closing with Tea & Theater.  I guess because it was the only song that was just Roger and Pete.  I think it was appropriate to end it with all that's left of the Who.

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:46:00 am »
I knew something was up when the text messages started flying in last night.  Thank god for Remote DVR Setting.  I've decided to be late to work this morning because I'm watching it again (with the stereo cranked up this time because smackette needed to sleep last night).

Absoluely incredible.

Brought back fond memories of my dad insisting that my sister and I be brought along to the first Who farewell tour in 1982.  He said something about us never being able to see a band this good ever in our lifes so we had to go.  He called last night to say that my generation did a great job recreating his generation!
27>34

hoitel

• hello. world.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by gaaaaaaaaah:
  Reactions:

1. Seriously, the Who did sell out.  Have you ever seen an episode of CSI?

2. I loved how every band seemed to genuinely enjoy playing at this thing.  Wayne Coyne tends to look that way all the time, but the Flaming Lips killed that Tommy medley.  Kliph kicking the drums over was amazing.  And Incubus was surprisingly good.

3. Pearl Jam playing Love Reign O'er Me was incredible.  Eddie Vedder hit all of those screams perfectly. WOWOW

4.  I kind of like closing with Tea & Theater.  I guess because it was the only song that was just Roger and Pete.  I think it was appropriate to end it with all that's left of the Who.
my feelings were exactly the same. pearl jam really did steal the show though - i think. so much energy and feeling. their version of Love Reign O'er Me was about as great of a cover song as you possibly expect for a cover (should go into the how-to manual for covering songs - hah).

bearman🐻

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »
Pearl Jam was fucking amazing. They were the highlight. I agree about the awkward moment beteen Pete and Roger. It's no secret that they've always had a rocky relationship.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 07:25:00 am »
when are they going to repeat this thing>

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 11:20:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  when are they going to repeat this thing>
According to my guide, it's on in about an hour and a half (10AM PT).

And then again Monday night (10PM PT), which might be Tuesday morning for you.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 08:51:00 am »
for those who missed it, re-airs:

VH1 Classic:
 Friday, 7/25 @ 7:00P
 Sunday, 7/27 @ 11:00P
 Monday 7/28 @ 7:00P
 Wednesday, 7/30 @ 10:00P

Music: High Definition (MHD):
 Friday, 7/25 @ 7:00P
 Sunday, 7/27 @ 10:00A
 Tuesday, 7/29 @ 4:00P
 Sunday, 8/03 @ 11:00P

from the foos' newsletter, didn't say what time-zone.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »
just finish watching this and yup Pearl Jam brought the goods, liked the Foo Fighters & Supergrass pairing, The Flaming Lips were able to apply their own unique touch to the medley, where as Incubus came across as nothing more than a very average bar band...
T.Rex