Author Topic: ITS GETTING CLOSE!!!  (Read 9249 times)

Bags

Re: ITS GETTING CLOSE!!!
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2005, 06:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by soulie_tkd:
 they had only played for about an hour, and still had a solid 20-30 minutes before curfew.
What curfew?

loco

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2005, 11:46:00 pm »
Some of you need to grow a sense of humor.  You were there to see a very funny stunt that will probably end up in a video.  Heck, maybe YOU'LL be in the video!  That's pretty cool.

I thought it was great.  Yeah, I was a little disappointed we didn't get to give them a proper ovation to end the show, but they had to make it look real, I guess, to get the proper reaction from the crowd.

I really am surprised that so many people thought that was real.

bearman🐻

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2005, 10:40:00 am »
I think it was pretty interesting to hear comments from a buddy of mine who is a professional musician who was at the Garbage show. He commented on the lack of stage monitors and amps and said that pretty much all of the drumming was pre-recorded and Butch just played along with it. I'm sure there's some truth to that, just not sure how much.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2005, 11:13:00 am »
I can see why peeps would be annoyed with that stunt, they were unwittingly drafted into a music video which they won't get paid for.  And if anyone has any lingering doubt, there's no way it could possibly have been real -- I assure you, chix could walk around topless in downtown DC in the middle of the day and you wouldn't be arrested.   Even if it's illegal, which I don't believe it is, DC cops aren't going to give up their donut break for something petty like that.
_\|/_

mirrorball

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2005, 02:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
  I think it was pretty interesting to hear comments from a buddy of mine who is a professional musician who was at the Garbage show. He commented on the lack of stage monitors and amps and said that pretty much all of the drumming was pre-recorded and Butch just played along with it. I'm sure there's some truth to that, just not sure how much.
they used in-ear monitors. No amps because everything is run straight to the PA system. The rack units they use for guitar processing, a pair of Line 6 Pod Pros, can mimic different amp sounds. Other artists who use them often run them straight to the house PA. Butch's drums are hooked up to sound processors, which are triggered each time he hits the drum. so the sound of the drums can, and usually does, vary from song to song and doesn't always match a "true" drum sound. But he was most definitely playing. Though I think there were some background synth type sounds that no one in the band played but were triggered by a Butch.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2005, 12:59:00 pm »
I'm pretty sure I did not see any Line 6 Pod's in the rack. If they were, I'm not sure why he would use a Ground Control midi controller to run it instead of of the floorboard for it. I actually picked up the Line 6 Pod XT Live which is the all-in-one unit and it rules!

As for Butch's drums, there was a real acoustic kit there that he was playing. Toms, and all...there were of course some extra trigger pads as well, but that's why you'll notice the shields that were around his toms to help isolate the drums a bit.

There was definitely some backing tracks which included backing vocals (bitch about that if you want to bitch about something pre-recorded.) Nothing wrong with using backing music tracks at all. We do it as well. No way to actually play all the synth lines without X number of people on stage to play.  Hit play on the tracks and off you go. We know the timing between tracks, etc. So no need to keeping hitting play after each song as the tracks are already in the setlist order.

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

mirrorball

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2005, 08:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by MindCage:
  I'm pretty sure I did not see any Line 6 Pod's in the rack. If they were, I'm not sure why he would use a Ground Control midi controller to run it instead of of the floorboard for it. I actually picked up the Line 6 Pod XT Live which is the all-in-one unit and it rules!

I use the Ground Control Pro for my Pod Pro XT, and a couple of other rack units. My guess would be Duke used it to change programs for the synth rack units. But I definitely saw two Pod Pros back there.

http://www.garbage2.com/pics2/la19.jpg

this is an old pic, but there definite two Pod Pros (the old one, no the XT) in that rack.

Mobius

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2005, 04:21:00 pm »
I was standing by the bar and couldn't see the "flashing."   As a long-time DC resident, I assumed someone handed Shirley a joint, causing the reaction.  Its kind of funny that they would pull the police-involved stunt in DC . . . I mean, if it were SF, everyone would be in on the joke.  Police in DC?  Could be real.  My reaction was buzzkill.  

In any event it was an awkward end to an otherwise stellar night at the club, and I definitely think the right call would have been to come back and play one more song.

groovyside

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2005, 01:25:00 pm »
there was a review in the post on saturday that said the publicist confirmed it was staged for a music video.  just in case there was any last shred of doubt!