Author Topic: ABC show anyone?  (Read 3425 times)

Bags

Re: ABC show anyone?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 09:42:00 am »
Originally posted by Arlette:
 Are people really more psyched to see ABC than The English Beat?  Maybe my context is wrong, but it would seem to me that ABC should open for the Beat.
My group of four is split down the middle -- two are in it for the Beat, and two for ABC.

I, myself, am ALL about ABC tonight...I've been listening all week and I am ready.

Oh O'Mankie, how I'd love to see Icicle Works.  Though your story does not indicate much -- *everyone* was a warm up band at some point.  I think the English Beat/ABC bill is a pretty solid co-headliner scenario.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 02:06:00 pm »
Bags, as I already said, this show is the best show I've seen posted at the club in a loooooooooong time. I really wish I could go.

Have fun and I expect a full report, with setlists immediately after,

:D

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 02:32:00 pm »
Remind me why this is the best show in a loooong time?

ABC hasn't put out a new album in 8 years, and English Beat hasn't put out an album in 14 years and is down to one original member.

Not saying it will be a bad show, but BEST show?

Originally posted by O'Mankie:
  Bags, as I already said, this show is the best show I've seen posted at the club in a loooooooooong time. I really wish I could go.

Have fun and I expect a full report, with setlists immediately after,

:D  

xsinner

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 03:44:00 pm »
I have an extra ABC ticket that I am selling for  $20. If you're interested, you can drop me an email at xsinner@gmail.com. Thanks.

Bags

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 12:41:00 am »
Well, Bags finally makes it back stage at the club.  

This show was FANTASTICALLY fun.  The folks there enjoyed the hell out of it, and it was a Thursday that felt like a Friday.  Inevitably, it's an awful school night for me (I  have to be in particularly early tomorrow, after staying at work until after 8:00 and nearly missing the Beat's first song).  So what, I can work happily after living it up tonight.

For those who were wondering, English Beat had a bigger crowd (and it's true, they're not even listed on the ticket).  But, the ABC crowd wasn't small, and it was super excited, dancing, singing, blah blah.

More tomorrow, I need to get to sleep.....

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2005, 05:15:00 am »
Originally posted by Yutaka Fukufuji, Japanese Goalie:
  Remind me why this is the best show in a loooong time?

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Have you seen the shit they've been putting on stage at the club recently?

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2005, 11:30:00 am »
Opening with "I Confess", Dave Wakeling had the crowd dancing up a storm. I hadn't seen the Beat before, but i was sure glad i turned out for this. only complaint, they started a bit later then posted, and i was hoping for a longer set. it was by far a great time, lots of dancing, the front towards the stage had lots of skanking. was nice to hear the mix of songs including general public songs. dave sure likes to talk a bunch, and listening him go on about maggie was entertaining. other songs, (and i cant remember a good chunk off the top of my head), stand down margaret, save it for later, i confess, mirror in the bathroom, tears of a clown, and others.

ABC was a disappointment. i left after 6 songs, and there were a bunch of others who had already left. for some reason, ABC just didnt seem to have the same energy as the english beat. perhaps dave had such a frenzy going on, there was nowhere else to go. English Beat by far should have been headlining.
HeyLa

Bags

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2005, 12:08:00 pm »
xneverwherex -- I don't disagree with anything you've said, though I wasn't at all disappointed with ABC, but I love them and have listened to those songs SO much.

I was actually worried with "I Confess" because I thought it dragged a bit and was overly 'loungy,' so I thought the show might be a disappointment overall.  But they picked up with "Rough Rider" and then blew the house away with "Best Friend", which was my favorite song of the night.  I also loved the General Public tunes.

I also agree that English Beat should have headlined, just because of the energy of the band's catalog versus that of ABC.  I agree that their frenzy is really hard to follow.  They certainly had more people in the audience than ABC ended up with...

Wakeling's rambling went on a bit too much to me -- he came off as pretty damn goofy, but I do prefer that to the stoicism of some artist, so I should just shut my piehole.  How fun, though, to have a guy on one side of us in a pork pie hat (if that's what it's called) and on the other in a white dinner jacket doing those ska moves!

I loved ABC, but again, I've listened so much.  For an encore they did a song that I'd never heard, and they did "Poison Arrow" a second time -- that was weird.  But, I was giddy and had a couple fits of full on laughter for no reason except that I was having so much fun, so no complaints from me.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2005, 02:54:00 pm »
bags...glad to hear you enjoyed it. i actually was looking forward to seeing ABC, even more so than the english beat. but i realized i hadnt heard abc's stuff in so long (not that i listen to english beat often enough either).

dave did ramble on a bit much, but like you said it was goofy and entertaining. and its nice to hear banter once in awhile vs the bands who say "thank you DC" .... blah blah DC.. it gets old quickly  :)  

funny to hear they played poison arrow again as the encore. i kept picturing them on that "hit me baby one more time" TV show, and i couldnt help but laugh.
HeyLa

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2005, 06:01:00 pm »
"I Confess" has got to be one of the greatest songs of all time. I even have it on one of my spinning class cd's and the students love it.

Wakeling was there huh? When The Beat (not the English Beat   :roll:  ) Played Cork last year it was Ranking Roger. Have those two kissed and made up or do they both now go under the name The Beat? Wakeling used to go under "General Public"

bikerchickdc

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2005, 10:52:00 pm »
Actually I thought the Beat was pretty bad. I've seen them before, with and without Rankin Roger, and one awesome and wonderful show of The Special Beat at the old 9:30, and I gotta say, I was really disappointed at last night's show. I can't really describe it, but the phrase "English Beat Lite" comes to mind. No soul, no passion, and fer godsakes please someone get them a real live horn section!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2005, 11:29:00 pm »
While Dave was the co-leader of the Beat it was Ranking Roger and Saxa which gave the bands its edge.  Dave has a great voice but....

Yup there is bad blood between Dave and Roger... It erupted again after the Bands Reunited show on the English Beat.  It comes down who can use what name to tour under in the US.  It's called Dave Wakeling's "English Beat" or "General Public" for a reason.  Same group of backing musicians different name depending on the booking.

Roger wants to tour the US with his version of The English Beat, etc.  Wakeling's tried to get a solo career going with little sucess.  

The Bands Reunited show was a bit bogus in that Mojo or some other English magazine had managed a couple years ago to reunite most of the band for a show.

So was the bass player of Kajagoogoo playing with ABC?  He was playing with Martin of late... Another one of those stretching of the truth instances on Band Reunited.  

So did ABC do any of the latter "Hits" i.e. When Smokey Sings, One Better World, Vanity Kills, etc? or was primarily Lexicon of Love material.  The repeating of the hit during the encore was something they did on that first and maybe only prior tour of the US.
T.Rex