Author Topic: TV On The CD  (Read 1873 times)

Jaguär

TV On The CD
« on: March 27, 2004, 10:24:00 pm »
Crap tv show soundtrack release. A few good tracks.

(Sorry Smackie. I'm just not much of a tv fan.)

It's so sad that crappy American tv is again proving that their music is better than the even crappier American radio.

"It's your favorite show and you know it - and any South fan knows that 'Paint the Silence' is a staple on the show's commercials and episodes - now South will have the lead track on the OC Mix 1 soundtrack!

It's a great mix of tunes from Jem, Phantom Planet, Spoon, Jet, The Dandy Warhols, Doves and Turin Breaks and of course, South's 'Paint the Silence'

As a special treat for all South fans, INSOUND.com - the coolest online record store - is offering this list a special 15% off coupon if you pre-order the record. You also are entered to win a contest for:

An Insound tote bag
 A complete Insound trading card set
 Insound screenprint note-cards
 CD grab-bag
 O.C. posters and stickers

Pre-Order here and
 http://www.insound.com/promo/index.cfm?id=518

15% off coupon
 Coupon Code: theoc15
 Expires: Monday April 5th 2004

Music From The O.C. Mix 1
 Release Date: 3/30/04
 1. 'Paint The Silence' - South
 2. 'Just A Ride' - Jem
 3. 'Honey And The Moon' - Joseph Arthur
 4. 'The Way We Get By' - Spoon
 5. 'Move On' - Jet
 6. 'How Good It Can Be' - The 88
 7. 'Caught By The River' - Doves
 8. 'Rain City' - Turin Brakes
 9. 'We Used To Be Friends' -  The Dandy Warhols
 10. 'Dice' - Finley Quaye &William Orbit
 11. 'Orange Sky' - Alexi Murdoch
 12. 'California' - Phantom Planet"

Bags

Re: TV On The CD
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 02:32:00 am »
Gotta say, they play some awesome tunes on the O.C.

I also noted this from Entertainment Weekly last week (I love Ivy...Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne is a member):

TV
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Credit Check
 by Nicholas Fonseca

Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital (ABC) Barren trees, dirt-covered hands, and (presumably) dead bodies stink up this joint, set to Ivy's gorgeous ''Worry About You.'' We're all for dank beauty, but not when it's ripped off from Six Feet Under's Emmy-winning intro. B-

Wonderfalls (Fox) XTC's Andy Partridge sings the loopy dramedy's refreshing 39-second intro ditty, a sunny rock gem that's just as idiosyncratic as the show itself. Bonus points for the Niagara Falls shout-out in the too-cute opening line: ''We're boppin' along in our barrels...'' A-

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 09:48:00 am »
I prefer TV on the radio
oword

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 02:17:00 pm »
I posted about this earlier, but you probably skipped it because I titled it "OC" or something like that.

I defended the idea then and I'll defend it now again, especially with "Indie Radio 103" making headway into the saturated LA radio market, mostly thanks to Orange County.  It's good exposure for bands and I respect (executive producer) McG's and Doug Lyman's musical tastes.

What I don't like about this CD is that now on "The OC" when they play a song that is included on the OC Mix, they advertise it as being from "OC The Mix" instead of the original album.  For example, last weeks episode featured The Vines "Ride" and The 88 "How Good It Can Be."  They credited the Vines new LP and then The OC Mix instead The 88's LP "Kind of Light."  That, to me, just seemed wrong and I wish they hadn't sone it.  It lends a lot of creedence to comments made by others in the original post.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 02:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  What I don't like about this CD is that now on "The OC" when they play a song that is included on the OC Mix, they advertise it as being from "OC The Mix" instead of the original album.  
I agree with you completely, smackie.  

I'll admit to looking up songs on The O.C.'s website, and it's pretty amazing the songs they play.  On the site, they tell you all the songs in an episode, not just the one or two that are "featured" before the closing credits.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 02:22:00 pm »
i liked the anti-l.a. one liners in last week's o.c.  they were spot on.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 07:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  i liked the anti-l.a. one liners in last week's o.c.  they were spot on.
They were pretty funny, and the mocking of "The Valley" with all of the inside jokes to the OC was hillarious, especially with Seth and Summer (who is really from The Valley) dating in real life - too funny!

Apparently that happnes a lot.  The Journey line from earlier was added by Ben after Mischa didn't know who they were and made fun of Journey in front of Steve Perry (not knowing who he was).

Anyhow, my favorite from last week was-

Paris: "You Valley girls are all the same..."

Summer: "I'm not from the Valley, I'm from Orange Couny"

Paris: "Orange County, ew" that was by far my favorite.  I'm looking for that for my computer.
27>34

Jaguär

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 11:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  I posted about this earlier, but you probably skipped it because I titled it "OC" or something like that.

Oh. Sorry about that. I probably did read it but forgot. I'm claiming Alzheimer's.   :D