Author Topic: Radio Birdman Rollcall  (Read 2291 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Radio Birdman Rollcall
« on: September 06, 2006, 09:17:00 am »
Just ordered a ticket to ensure that I don't find an excuse not to show up tonight.  Downloaded the new album via eMusic and am now hooked, having only heard of the band in passing before.  

The opening band Easy Action is a Detriot Garage Rock Band, whose singer use to be in the Laughing Hyenas and Negative Approach.  In fact he went to my high schooler and was one of the freaks.  

Speaking of Detroit, the Radio Birdman show there has the Melvins and Dirtbombs as support acts.  Talk about makes the club walls sweat...
T.Rex

brennser

Re: Radio Birdman Rollcall
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 09:20:00 am »
I going to try to go but having two kids is kinda kicking my ass right now.....I like the best of....didn;t know the new one was on emusic....will download today

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 11:15:00 am »
Clearily I need a fact checker as Mudhoney not the Melvins were on the Detroit Bill...
T.Rex

snailhook

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 11:54:00 am »
totally stoked for this. possible double-bill of the year. it was criminal that only 25 people showed up for easy action at the warehouse last year.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 11:55:00 am »
Can't wait.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 01:00:00 pm »
A buddy of mine saw the saw in Detroit and had this to say...

There were four bands on the bill--Easy Action, the Dirtbombs, Mudhoney, and Birdman. All of them rocked really hard. Birdman, though, were the best. I said to my friend, "This is like seeing the Sex Pistols." They came out swinging and didn't let up. Great punk energy, well crafted tunes, and good musicianship made for a great set. Seeing Birdman reminded me of seeing the Pretty Things, Love (r.i.p. Arthur Lee), and the Yardbirds a few years back:  seasoned musicians who can really play and who have not lost their youthful energy and enthusiasm.
T.Rex

chief wiggum

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »
The show in Cleveland last night was fantastic.  No Mudhoney and DIrtbombs for openers.  Instead we got This Moment in Black History and the New Bomb Turks.  Needless to say this was one of the best shows I've seen in a long, long time.  

Enjoy the show tonight.

twangirl

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 03:09:00 pm »
over the weekend I spoke with people who saw the Seattle show and one in Cali, and they both said Radio Birdman totally rocked. This is what I would call a can't-miss.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 03:25:00 pm »
Which is more bloated, the garage rock scene, or Little Steven's gut?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 04:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
  Which is more bloated, the garage rock scene, or Little Steven's gut?
I can think of a few other things.

snailhook

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 01:44:00 am »
radio birdman played what might be the only set the rest of the year that can match comets on fire in intensity. absolutely burning set, not one dull second. this was up there with the pretty things, love, and trad gras och stenar as old dudes that can bring it.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 09:40:00 am »
agreed....

fun night seeing a great band which had the  youngin's bopping away in front... the old time fans, including some with grey hair, all pitching themselves to make sure it was real to be able to the band live, something they figured would never happen.... and the rest of us folk just digging the intensity and appreciating the fact it wasn't just some lazy cash grab on their part.

will definitely make the effort to see them again hopefully it sooner than 25 years.  Easy Action were ok, as it's just that I prefer the less intense Dirtbombs  Brand of Detroit influenced rock...

A Slickee Boys vs Radio Birdman pairing would be huge fun and just be sure to toss in the Barracudas for added enjoyment!
T.Rex