Author Topic: How hipster is Ramshead?  (Read 3763 times)

vassego

How hipster is Ramshead?
« on: May 20, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »
I will only go if I can wear skinny jeans and an ironic tee shirt.  These are my rules.

Ok, seriously.  I've not been there, and was planning on trekking to Bmore for Hold Steady (sure, they're a hipster band, moving along).  Decent venue?  I've been to Sonar, but was not a fan of the crowd.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: How hipster is Ramshead?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »
Rams Head is an awesome venus, although it's... a little weirdly set-up I can dig it. Get there early though cuz sometimes teh crowd downstairs sucks and if you dont get up front on the balcony upstairs you arent gonna see shit. And the bleachers upstairs suck I hate that crap.

I only saw Queens and Mars Volta there though, so I experienced a bunch of  biker dudes/chicks and stoners.
‼‼?‼‼

Driveway

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »
I've been there a few times.  Definitely get there early.  It has great sound, but the sightlines are pretty terrible.  They sell too many tickets sometimes and you end up watching the show on a monitor, which is lame.  Long story short, get there early and you'll love it.

nkotb

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »
Agreed that the sound is good, but it feels like you're rocking out at an Applebee's or something.  

I'd much rather sacrifice sound quality if the show felt like a rock show.

vassego

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »
Thanks e-friends.  I'm not thrilled about having to drive to Baltimore, but I sure do like Holding Steady.

Also, I miss Applebee's.  It's one of the best mediocore restaurants around...I can't wait for the memories to return.

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »
I'm employed there and i can say its definitely not very hipster. The Sonar/Ottobar hipsters usually stay away.

True about getting there early, it can fill up and if you're in the back its not the coolest.

And it does lack the "rock club-ness" that one can get from Ottobar/Sonar. But the sound/stage/lights are all better.

Also, i dont know if this works but try calling the Box Office the day of and see whether they are opening the 2nd floor. If they dont sell a lot of tickets they may not open the 2nd floor which could mean even more crowded downstairs. I dont know if they'll tell you this info upfront or not though.

killsaly

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 05:19:00 pm »
Whats wrong with the people at Sonar/Ottobar?  I have only been to Rams Head twice, but i thought it was a very good venue.  Very clean, good crowd, good sound... I also didnt have nay problems seeing the stage.  i thought there were a few not great spots, but there seemed to be a ton of good vantage points.  I would go more, but they do not get a lot of good shows.

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 09:15:00 pm »
oh, i didnt mean they are a bad crowd.  I just meant that its usually not too many hipster-types at Rams Head , even when those type bands play.

PigIron

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »
While the actual band, sound quality, service, and the ability to see the stage are all important things, I only go to shows based on the following criteria:

1) The number of "hipsters" in the crowd.  I need "hipsters".  With hipster attitudes and hot hipster fashions.
 2) There has to be a cool "clubbiness" about the venue.  Cool pictures on the wall.  Like old concert posters or something like that.  Dirty.  Very dark.  No ads.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 09:12:00 am »
I think Rams Head has shitty sound.  But I will still go to shows there if bands aren't playing anywhere else.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »
is the hold steady a "hipster" band?  seems like their crowd is full of npr-rockers
(o|o)

azaghal1981

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »
احمد

vassego

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  is the hold steady a "hipster" band?  seems like their crowd is full of npr-rockers
Wait, I just upgraded my glasses to hipster, and I listen to NPR.  Damn, time to try to sell my tickets on craigslist.