Author Topic: Gogol Bordello roll call  (Read 3759 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Gogol Bordello roll call
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 02:29:00 am »
alex: i feel your pain.

the show was absolutely phenominal.  i'm willing to believe that RATM and the Foos were more intense, but anyone else you're going to have to present one hell of an argument.  GB tore the roof off tonight with sheer energy, a lot of it consisting of feedback from the the crowd (i managed to snag a ticket out front).  band hit the stage = biggest surge i have ever experienced, and only got wilder after that.  front half of the floor = a tide of humanity.  main set = 55 mins, encore = 25 mins consisting of 2 songs - first one was only 5 mins.  pure gypsy punk, emphasis on the latter.  how some of those smaller ladies survived the pit is a complete mystery to me.  haven't been part of a mosh that crazy (I SCORED A *PIT* TICKET!!!) since my punk days about a decade and a half ago.  i started off about 5 back from the stage, i could only deal with that about 25-30 minutes before having to move back.  temperature rose to hellish about a minute into the first song.  nuts nuts nuts.

went to the DC9 afterwards in hopes of meeting the band but had to bail an hour later without them showing up - met plenty of other folks and had a great time there.  tomorrow morning is going to suck... but will be entirely worth it     :)    

first time i've ever seen GB.  highly, highly recommended.  valient thorr was highly entertaining as well, surprisingly so.  missed the first opening act.
<sig>

AnitaO

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 08:23:00 am »
Originally posted by Alex:
  fuck everyone who got to go to this show

no just kidding, you're all lucky.  i saw them headline in boston last summer and they played for like two hours and pretty much put on one of the best shows ever.
Yeah, what he said.  

I was supposed to go and was planning on driving a few hours to the show, but unfortunately I didn't get tickets ahead of time.  Damn all of you and your good taste in bands.  I saw them at Sonar, Ottobar, Black Cat and even The Stone Pony last year.  Some of the best shows I have ever seen - and I've seen a lot.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 06:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Alex:
  fuck everyone who got to go to this show

there was a few people out front asking for tickets, after the show was over i was like "wow, anyone who missed this missed something truly spectacular". The show was phenomenal and immediately shot up to one of the top 5 best shows ive been to this year, if not the best show. They were truly fantastic and im SO glad i got this ticket for free because i wanted to go kind of and then i got a ticket and went and it was insane.

Basically the entire floor was a huge dance party/mosh pit, it was insane. I liked how they came back on after playing for 40 minutes and played a one hour encore, so awesome.
‼‼?‼‼

Relaxer

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 06:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by DeathFromAbove1979:
  I liked how they came back on after playing for 40 minutes and played a one hour encore, so awesome.
snifffffffffff......
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 06:46:00 pm »
  Basically the entire floor was a huge dance party/mosh pit, it was insane. I liked how they came back on after playing for 40 minutes and played a one hour encore, so awesome.
hum, my time-keeping doesn't agree with yours... i had them going on at 10:15, ended 11:10, encore started 11:15, show ended 11:45 (all times approx).  maybe time was warped in your vicinity due to gravitational forces (the mosh pit seemed to be under the influence of a similar force  :)  )  speaking of - i wonder what the pit looked like from the balcony...

most of the encore was a 20+ minute jam, moving from gypsy beat to gypsy beat.  amazing.

met lots of ukrainians last night, always a sign of a superior evening   :cool:
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 01:43:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

hum, my time-keeping doesn't agree with yours... i had them going on at 10:15, ended 11:10, encore started 11:15, show ended 11:45 (all times approx).  maybe time was warped in your vicinity due to gravitational forces (the mosh pit seemed to be under the influence of a similar force   :)   )  speaking of - i wonder what the pit looked like from the balcony...

most of the encore was a 20+ minute jam, moving from gypsy beat to gypsy beat.  amazing.

met lots of ukrainians last night, always a sign of a superior evening    :cool:  [/b]
i looked at my cell phone when they first went off stage and as i recollect i thought "they only played a 40 minute set?" it was definetly still 10 til 11 or 15 til 11 when they went off stage.

whatever, it rocked. so glad i went.
‼‼?‼‼

andyrichter

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 03:30:00 am »
This was such a fantastic show.  I was on the floor too and I got me a nice little workout.  The energy was just amazing.  Everyone was going nuts and the band seemed to be feeding off that, as if they really needed it.  I'll admit the encore was getting on my nerves a little since I'm not a fan of super long jam sessions but that didn't change my thoughts on this show one bit.  And it was also one of the more diverse crowds I've seen in awhile which was nice to see.  I thought Valient Thorr was pretty rockin as well.  The lead singer's ramblings were hilarious as well as that little campfire sitdown he had on the floor.  All in all, great night!

Got Haggis?

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 11:33:00 am »
i hate that gogol shows have pits now.....i miss the circle dancing days

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 12:45:00 pm »
that little campfire sitdown he had on the floor.  [/QB]
He ended up standing right in front of me, he was insanely sweaty.

and hairy.
‼‼?‼‼

Relaxer

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 01:54:00 pm »
Did anyone see both this recent 9:30 show and the one about 8-10 months ago? Curious to know how they compared. Sounds like they were similar. That's one of the few shows I've attended where I *had* to buy a shirt because the one I wore was so thorougly drenched.
oword

dyssocial

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 01:36:00 pm »
I actually thought the crowd at the last Gogol show was better than the one at this one. There were a lot of girls wearing GB-show-inappropriate clothing (one of them in a white frock dress of some sort?) on the floor near the pit looking horrified whenever someone bumped into them.

The band was just as good, though.