Author Topic: help with ringtones  (Read 1261 times)

bellenseb

help with ringtones
« on: June 16, 2004, 01:18:00 pm »
OK, so I upgraded to a phone with polyphonic ringtone ability, and I realize I can download the latest John Mayer hits to my phone via AT&T's website.

But is there any way to convert your own mp3 files to the ringtone format and send them to your phone?

vansmack

Re: help with ringtones
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 01:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  OK, so I upgraded to a phone with polyphonic ringtone ability, and I realize I can download the latest John Mayer hits to my phone via AT&T's website.

But is there any way to convert your own mp3 files to the ringtone format and send them to your phone?
They're being sued by the RIAA, but I would try Xingtone.com
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 01:32:00 pm »
Here's an article on the suit:

Piracy Spreads to Ring Tones

Xingtone threatens record label's new revenue stream

The cell-phone ring-tone industry, which sold $3 billion worth of electronic song clips last year and generated $148 million for musicians and songwriters, may be under threat from its own Napster. Xingtone, a year-old software company, allows users to transform digital music files of any song on their hard drive into ring tones -- without paying the record label or artist who owns the rights to the music.

"It's troubling that a company that makes software would be profiting off the backs of artists when this business is just getting started," says Ted Cohen, EMI Music's senior vice president of digital development and distribution. The record labels, still struggling through a deep recession that they blame largely on online piracy, have hoped to make ring tones a huge new revenue stream.

Xingtone stands to profit from this growth. Artemis Records recently packaged the company's $14.95 software with copies of alt-rock band Sugarcult's Palm Trees and Power Lines, and Hollywood Records now sells exclusive Xingtone versions of the Polyphonic Spree, Hilary Duff and Breaking Benjamin songs.

Xingtone executives say it's fair use to burn or download a track and transfer it as a ring tone to a cell phone. "When people compare us to Napster, they get this thought that somehow you're searching this big database of Xingtone content," says Brad Zutaut, the company's co-founder and chairman. "There is no content. We're not Napster. Are we innovative and cool and all the great things Napster is? Absolutely. But we're not illegal."

STEVE KNOPPER
 (Posted Jun 08, 2004)
27>34

bellenseb

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 01:37:00 pm »
Hm...how can it be illegal for you to convert your own music into a different format?

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 02:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Hm...how can it be illegal for you to convert your own music into a different format?
If it costs the industry money, they will find a way.

Either way, if you buy the software now, it will be a bargain if they should lose the suit and have to pay the industry a license fee and raise the price.  You will not be breaking the law by using the software.

Some big Scandanavian company mobile company just invested in the company so they will survive.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 02:20:00 pm »
dammit, if i had know there was a way to make a gbv ring tone, i would have spent the extra $20 for a better phone
o/\o

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 03:37:00 pm »
You can use Qualcomm's Purevoice and create whatever you'd like. The sample rate is pretty weak though.

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3